Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendeyzee

Golden Jenny melon

wendeyzee
18 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum I usually post over on the veg. forum. I would like to know if I can grow this melon successfully in the N.E. specifically Cape Cod. It is also important to state that I have never grown a melon before as I am a new gardener of 3 yrs.

I would really appreciate any advice!!

Thanks, Wendey

Comments (5)

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

No reason I can think of that Golden Jenny shouldn't grow by you.

BTW, Golden Jenny is not an heirloom. It's a rather new variety, developed by plant breeder Merlyn Niedens, who crossed the Jenny Lind with an orange-fleshed melon to get characteristics of both.

Golden Jenny is slightly larger than Jenny Lind, has orange flesh, and only partially shows the belly button that is the hallmark of Jenny Lind. That is, some of the fruits will have the belly button and some won't.

It's said to be a deliciously sweet melon, but I haven't sampled any so can't say firsthand.

• wendeyzee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gardenlad , of course you are right and I'm in the wrong forum. Thank you for answering my post anyway, do you have A recommendation for a first timer that lives in the north.
    Thanks Wendey

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

You don't want melon recommendations from me, Wendey. I'm probably the second worst melon grower in the world.

But there are a couple of serious melon growers who post both here and at the veggie forum. Hopefully some of them will provide some insights.

You might also want to check out Amy Goldman's book, "Melons For The Passionate Grower," which will really give you some food for thought.

• Mary_in_pnw
    18 years ago

I have seed for Golden Jenny, but have never grown it. There is a guy named Wayne in the Vegetable Forum who is quite the melon grower. You'll see his posts if you flip through some of the pages. Bet he'll answer if you post a question about melon growing.

Mary

• wendeyzee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Mary, I know of Wayne, and he did reply :-D
    Wendey

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting