Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Best fertilizer for blossoming?

solstice98
17 years ago

I've got lots of nice greenery but not too many buds setting this year. What do you all use to fertilize for maximum flowering?

Kate

Comments (6)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Tropical hibiscus, I presume? Water with Peters, MiracleGro, Schultz's or similar products at 1/2 strength every 2 weeks, Once a month I feed them with Epsom salts at 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Once every two months feed with Super phosphate. Epsom salts and phosphate are bloom builders.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

You might also try some iron-focused fert in there too (eg., Ironite or Iron Green, etc).

• watergal
    17 years ago

I use Space City Hibiscus fertilizer, available online (email me if you want web site). Experts say to avoid the bloom booster fertilizers (the high middle number formulas) because hibiscus have trouble processing that nutrient and it eventually builds up in the soil to the point where it inhibits bloom.

• eaj09
    17 years ago

I'm confused; I thought the middle number of the fertilizer trio was the phosphate number, and I heard, like watergal, that I should avoid the fertilizers with the high middle number...yet tsmith advises to fertilize with phosphate?

I have a big problem with bud drop, especially for the more exotic hybrids with the double flowers or the large frilly flowers. I was told to stay away from fertilizers with a high middle number, and to go with a balanced one like 10-10-10 or 20-20-20.

I sent my husband to get some balanced fertilizer for my hibsicus and he came home with this huge bag of granular "Lawn & Garden 10-10-10 Fertilizer" - should I use that?? I was picturing him coming home with a manageable-sized water soluble type fertilizer.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your advice. I wanted to followup and let you all know that I used a general garden fert (10-10-10) all around the plant and also sprayed the leaves once with another all-purpose fert. Once the buds formed I powdered them with Sevin dust to prevent bud drop (a big problem here in FL). Look what's happened in just 3 weeks!

(I guess it was hungry...)

• torpeau
    17 years ago

Miracle-Gro is fine for foliar feeding, but its high phosphorous content will build up in the soil and may eventually lead to problems. Better to use a fertilizer with a low middle number.

Sponsored