Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Fruit juice question

tracydr
13 years ago

Can I juice my fruits for jams in a mechanical juicer instead of extracting juice with heat? Are these juices equivalent in pectin, etc?

Reading some books that use steam juicers and wondering why I can't use my very expensive, unused juicer that I got for our wedding.

Comments (11)

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

My thinking would be that - if you just wanted to make jams, that any juicer would be OK. However, if you were to use the juice for jellies, then you would need to consider the amount of sediment that would be obtained from either method.

I encountered the problem recently of whether to use a steam juicer or regular juicer - in case I wanted to can plain juice - whether BWB or pressurizing. Then the sediment would become an issue.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I see. Could it be strained with a jelly bag?

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I think a lot would depend on how "clear" you want your jelly. Personally I'm not that picky, but then, I'm only making jam and jelly for home consumption. If you are concerned about sediment, then I would think a jelly bag would work. Or else let the juice sit overnight and decant the next morning.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Because the juice has been extracted mechanically rather than steamed, it will never be as clear, even using a jelly bag.

However, as mentioned, unless it's an aesthetic issue with you, it will be fine as a beverage or a jelly and you'll have the added benefit of a higher yield.

Carol

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not much of a jelly lover anyway. Mostly want to make high pectin apple jelly for the other recipes in Mes Confitures and Linda scmidts Joy of jams and jellies.
    Fiber is good, who needs clear.

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

Was just thinking about one of the recent postings - regarding making natural pectin from citrus peelings - remember?

Perhaps an experiment here - assuming you made some citrus pectin - would be of interest.

Then again, because apples have a high pectin ratio anyway, your apple jelly may turn into "gummies" - do you think so?

Bejay

• readinglady
    13 years ago

The only problem with citrus pectin is it has a much more assertive flavor. The reason Ferber and Ziedrich use apple jelly is because it's more neutral and is less likely to interfere with other flavors.

Of course, in some recipes the citrus flavor is an advantage.

Carol

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm, Bejay. I'm going to be making some marmalade in the next couple of days. How do you propose I make the citrus pectin for other recipes?
    May as well try some pectin while I'm doing lemons.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm, Bejay. I'm going to be making some marmalade in the next couple of days. How do you propose I make the citrus pectin for other recipes?
    May as well try some pectin while I'm doing lemons.

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

Hmmm - now I'm really straining my brain - because I am not sure what ratio of home-made citrus pectin is used per cup of mashed fruit - but perhaps I have it somewhere in my "saves" - which right now is at the bottom of some other "saves" because we have our grandson occuping the space I was using - well you get the idea.

Anyway, when I made the pectin (you remember the postings recently - so I won't repeat it here), I froze the "gooey" stuff in cup-size portions - for a whole season, mainly because it was at a time when fruits were in season, and I couldn't get to it right away.

Hopefully, I can find the ratio of pectin to use. But a good way to save pectin is freezing it. I think lemon pectin would be great, because I add either lemon or lime juice to ALL of my fruit jams and jellies anyway - brings out the flavor.

Just my 2 c's. Sorry to be so confusing -

Bejay

• readinglady
    13 years ago

This is an old document on homemade citrus pectin. Fortunately it's been posted online. Just scroll down the page for instructions.

The amount of citrus pectin stock you'll use varies depending upon the pectin level of the other ingredients. Assuming it's quite low, use about 1/4 cup of citrus pectin stock to 1 cup of fruit juice. About 1 cup of sugar per cup of pectin stock and juice combined.

You can cut sugar but at some point it will affect the set as sugar is crucial to formation of pectin bonds in traditional preserves.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Fruit Pectin

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting