Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janisj_gw

Questionable Tomatoes

janisj
14 years ago

Good evening! I have utilized this forum, and I have such a good time reading the posts. I am hoping that you can help me!

As a child, I canned next to my mother from a very young age. At the age of five, I was picking produce and canning up all kinds of creations, including tomatoes, jellies and jams, chicken and venison, beans, corn, winter squash, etc. As I got older, I canned for 4-H and followed the guidelines of the time (mid to late 1980s), although my mom found some of the newer guidelines limiting. She followed many of her older recipes (including some that I now find scary--a tomato soup thickened with butter and flour, completely mashed winter squash, and a zucchini marmalade that the mold was simply scraped off whenever we opened the jar!).

As I started a family, I started gardening again and canning, always using the most updated guidelines. Three years ago, my mom had a huge crop of tomatoes, and frost arrived early, so she asked if I wanted some canned tomatoes. I politely declined, as I have three small children and did not want to risk using canned goods from a questionable source. Of course, she didn't listen, and she delivered 50+ quarts of tomatoes to my doorstep. Although I thought she was very sweet for her effort, she does not like the taste of lemon juice in the quarts, so she simply cans the tomatoes the same way that she has for a lifetime--tomatoes and tomatoes alone in a hot water bath.

I never used them. Now we are getting ready to move, and I have to deal with the issue! The tomatoes have a high rate of failure (at least 30%, maybe even 40%). Some have come unsealed while others are sealed as can be with black mold mixed throughout the quart. I am so thankful that I never used them, but I don't know what to do with them now!

I know that I should boil them, contents and all, before discarding, but the idea of that is overwhelming. I don't have a place to bury them. Please let me know if the plan outlined below is reasonable:

1) add rims to any jars that are not sealed and discard in individually sealed bags (ziplocs) and placed into double-bagged heavy duty trash bags

2) jars that have mold or look questionable are placed in double-bagged heavy duty trash bags

3) jars that are sealed and do not appear to be compromised are emptied into screw top plastic gallon jugs and placed into double bagged heavy duty trash bags. Jars are placed into dishwasher and washed twice on temp-boost and extended cycle (I hate to throw away all of those jars!)

I appreciate your insight and help with this problem.

It may be intersting to hear if others have experienced a similar situation (been given a gift of canned goods that you just couldn't trust and couldn't use? If so, what did you do?) Thanks again!

Comments (26)

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

If they are still sealed, DO NOT open them. If there is any botulism in those jars you do not want to open them.
    Yes, technically you are supposed to take any opened ones, do the boil, then throw it all away. It is a long process.
    Now, you do what you want, but in all honesty, I would put all the jars and contents in heavy trash bags and take them to the dump. I would double bag them, of course.
    You should not save any of the empty jars, either.
    A dishwasher will not sterilize, it will only sanitize. Sterilization takes boiling in a pot of water.
    Please, be very careful handling these jars. Wear rubber gloves. Bleach anything that comes in contact with the jars.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Opening them with water running and rinse them out if the jars are valuable canning jars. I doubt if too much contamination could occur if you opened them to discard. If your on city sewer, down the toilet with them. If its a septic system, you may want to follow the guidelines of Linda Lou. Once emptied and rinsed, the jars can be run through a dishwasher and that should clean up most further contamination. A dip into a chlorine bleach and water mix would also sanitize the jars, or boiling them after the run through the dishwasher. If they are commercial products jars, simply toss them as mentioned. Wash your hands well, and keep the contents away from other foods, hands and face.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Personally I don't see any problems in your outlined approach. I realize it is more liberal than Linda Lou's instructions and it is JMO but I won't toss any more jars than I have to either.

I'd do the emptying of intact jars outside (not indoors) with a disposable mask and gloves and then soak those jars outside in a tub of water and bleach. Then wash and boil them.

My justification for this and it too is JMO, is that botulism spores already exist all around us outdoors. It is the toxins we have to fear. So if we avoid contact with them by handling the uncompromised jars and eliminate the possibility of them them with bleach and boiling it seems to me a safe compromise.

Dave

PS: next time you get a delivery like this smile, accept, and dump immediately. ;)

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

Ok, I'm confused. From reading this forum I see both of you are knowlegable and well respected here. Read about the threat and dangers of botulisim on other posts, including one of my own. The botulisim thing scares the crap out of me, almost to the point to where I'm thinking it might be better to just freeze everything (even though some things are not the best frozen) Is correct way is to follow the decontamination process with boiling jars, ware rubber gloves,double bag, put in trash, what if one where to break at some point in the can, is it now a health hazard, use bleach on all surfaces, dispose of clothing if possibility of splash, spores can be air born, so should some sort of mask be worn. If you boil jars can you save them?
    Ken - you say it is probaly ok to open jars under running water and dump the contents in the sewage or double bag and trash. Is your trash can now a hazard? What about disenfecting all surfaces and yourself. I understand if a jar doesn't look right you should get rid of it, but Iv'e also read that you can't see,smell or taste botulisim, so how do you know? I would really like to try canning a lot of things this year with some peace of mind, but this food poisoning thing really makes me nervous,esp. the botulisim. Thanks to all for any help.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Before you let the botulism issue scare you away from canning, please try to keep it in perspective. Check the CDC site for the number of cases of reported botulism. Unlike other unreported food born illness cases, when somebody gets botulism it tends to be reported, because you don't just get a tummy ache, the trots and then recover.

Take for instance in 1999 there were 154 cases. Only 23 of those were foodborn. Out of that small number some of them are likely to be from commercially prepared products, and some of them from improperly processed fermented meats by indigenous peoples. It's true most of the cases are from poorly done home canning. But considering all the people who do process food, and how much of it they process, this is a very low incidence.

Of course that fact doesn't help you if you are one of them who does get sick but also consider how many people do not have a clue when canning, and do it like their grannies. That makes me feel fairly confident that the incidences are pretty rare for those of us who can carefully and willingly dispose of anything we feel looks questionable, and especially those of us who use home canned products in meals where we cook them again before use.

So, that is a personal decision and one each of us makes, but consider eating my own canned goods safer than getting in an auto and driving.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

gardener1908 - You are talking about 2 very different things - food prep and processing vs. disposal of possible contaminated food.

There is no reason for botulism to "scare the crap out of you" as it is just another fact of life. In spore form it exists in the earth and in the air just like all other bacteria and fungi and it poses no direct threat. When you bring food in from the garden and wash it in the sink there is a good chance you are scrubbing off botulism spores in that dirt. Hardly the same thing as eating a jar of improperly canned tomatoes that is years old, right? ;)

It is the toxin those spores can make over time in the right anaerobic (airless) conditions that pose the threat.

That calls for caution and avoiding UNNECESSARY risks when it comes to our food processing. That is easy to do - just follow the approved and tested recipes and guidelines. We all agree on that part.

But when it comes to the disposal of possible contaminated foods there are no hard core guidelines although Linda Lou's, who is the recognized authority, above are likely the closest to it.

But each of has to define what we consider the level of risk we are comfortable with - thus the differences in opinion when it comes to disposal questions. Linda Lou would pitch all the jars, Ken would work to save all the jars, and I would compromise and try to save the jars that had not been compromised in any visible way and pitch the rest.

Given your level of concern, when it comes to disposal of possible contaminated foods you'd be most comfortable doing as Linda Lou recommends. Better yet, process it correctly up front and then you don't have to worry about ever disposing of it. :^)

Dave

• alfie_md6
    14 years ago

Compost the tomatoes. (Keep your mouth closed while you're dumping the jars.) Wash your hands. Run the jars and rings through the dishwasher. Wash your hands. Soak them in a bleach solution (one part bleach to ten parts water) if you want to be extra careful. Wash your hands.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

I was more conservative compared to Linda Lou's suggestions. The botulism is all around us all the time, so its nothing like your opening a 'pandora's box', when you dispose of the contents of bad canned foods. For non regular canning jars, there is only the need to dump the contents and rinse them out before they go in the trash. For true canning jars, you can do all the above and should not be concerned by any contamination issues. If these products were given to you by a well meaning person, its always a good idea to let them know they may be canning things incorectly. No work surface can remain totally sterile all the time, so you should not be concerned with work surfaces infecting other canned items you plan to make. If you stay wit recommended acid levels and heat process acccording to the guidelines, you should be just fine. My old land lady had jars of all black stuff in her basement for many years. I would never open any of those jars withhout some protective things like gloves, and some bleach and water solution nearby. Without seeing it, I suspect any black matter you saw is simply mold and/or oxidation. Salmonella usually has an orange tint, botulism is not any color or smell.

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

Better yet, send the jars to me. I will compost the contents, clean up the jars, and then give the jars to my friend who is getting ready to can some peaches.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

What alfie said - compost it. Wash your hands.

I think the media has allowed us all to get paranoid about stuff we'll never come into contact with. We're FAR more likely to get swine flu than botulism. But do we all wear face masks in the grocery store? Or use a sanitising spray after pushing the grocery cart?

Nope. Because we're reasonably well informed about the risks.

Compost it.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Linda Lou's suggestion is the one to take if you want to be absolutely safe and comfortable beyond any doubt.

If I were at all uncomfortable with someone's canning methods, I'd have dumped the stuff as soon as I got it, although how you could have done that without hurting feelings I'm not sure.

I'd like to think that I'd be ultra careful and follow the rules like Linda Lou but truthfully, I'd probably compost the contents, then wash the jars in a bleach solution and boil them for reuse.

Annie

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

FIRST, bring your mom over and let her look at what's happening to her canned stuff when she follows the old recipes with new, less acid tomatoes.

THAN, speaking as a person with a microbiology degree and a compost heap ... I recommend you dig a trench in your garden and bury the contents of the jars under about 6 inches of dirt. The normal bacteria and fungi of the soil will take care of any mold, mold toxins, and any possible botulism toxin within a week or two. Seriously, soil bacteria can take care of almost anything, because they can digest toxins that would kill us. Anthrax-infested cow carcasses are about the only exception.

Run the lids, rings and jars through your dishwasher on extra-hot with the usual load of detergent. A dishwasher can kill anything pathogenic you would find in those tomatoes.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

The only trick to handling food possibly contaminated with botulism is "don't lick your fingers". If you want to wear gloves, impermeable glove, like dishwashing gloves, will do. It's not a poison gas, it's in the food and it's going to stay there.

Then wash your hands.

Remember that microbiologists grow the stuff on purpose - in the old days, we didn't even wear gloves in the bacteriology labs. Handwashing is the only precaution we took, washing hands BEFORE going to the bathroom, before eating, and before leaving the lab. It's an amazingly effective preventive measure.

• janisj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback! My mom expects a certain level of failures, and she doesn't miss a beat when canned goods come unsealed or become moldy--she simply skims off the mold or dumps the jar. Although I don't agree with her canning perspectives, I understand that sometimes it is difficult to change your ways, especially when you have been doing something a certain way for years. I appreciate the new resources that are available, including this forum. Thanks!

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

You should not compost them. If there is botulism toxin in there you do not want to do this.
    I will say again, if you have a cut or anything, you can get botulism from it entering your skin.
    This is nothing to take lightly.
    There are hardline guidelines for disposal....

How Dispose of Spoiled Canned Food
    Never taste food from a jar with an unsealed lid or food that shows signs of spoilage. As you use jars of food, examine the lid for tightness and vacuum; lids with concave centers have good seals.

Before opening the jar, examine the contents for rising gas bubbles, and unnatural color. While opening the jar, smell for unnatural odors and look for spurting liquid and mold growth (white, blue, or green) on the top food surface and underside of lid.

Spoiled acidic food should be discarded in a place where it will not be eaten by humans or pets.

Treat all jars and cans of spoiled low-acid foods, including tomatoes, as though they contain botulinum toxin and handle in one of two ways:

If suspect glass jars are still sealed, place them in a heavy garbage bag. Close the bag, and place it in a regular trash container or bury it in a landfill.

If the suspect glass jars are unsealed, open, or leaking, detoxify (destroy the bacteria) as follows before disposal:

Carefully place the containers and lids on their sides in an eight-quart or larger pan. Wash your hands thoroughly. Carefully add water to the pan until it is at least one inch above the containers. Avoid splashing the water. Place a lid on the pan, and heat the water to boiling. Boil 30 minutes to ensure that you have destroyed all toxins. Cool and discard the lids and food in the trash, or bury in soil. Sanitize all counters, containers, and equipment that may have touched the food or containers--don't forget the can opener, your clothing, and hands. Place any sponges or washcloths used in the cleanup in a plastic bag and discard.

• alfie_md6
    14 years ago

You do not get wound botulism from botulinum toxin entering a wound. You get wound botulism from botulism spores germinating in an anaerobic wound. This explains why

a. I have never gotten botulism, even though I have, many times, dug around in the dirt (which is teeming with botulism spores) with scrapes on my arms, hands, and knees.
    b. Wound botulism (at least in the US) is found primarily among people who inject black tar heroin (whatever that is).
    c. People do not (typically) die from Botox injections, which are botulinum toxin injected into your skin.

Between 1988 and 1995, in the US, according to the FDA, there were fewer than 30 reported cases of food-borne botulism every year (except 1994, when there were 50). That's from all food, not from home-canned food specifically. And it's illnesses, not deaths. Compare that to the number of traffic deaths in the US, which in 2008 was the lowest since 1961: 37,261 people killed. Compost the tomatoes, and stay out of the car.

• greenwood85
    14 years ago

I think you should shoot the jars with a high-powered rifle.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

That is not what we are being taught now. We are taught to instruct not to get it on a skin wound....
    you will see that is says "Even a tiny amount of toxin that is eaten or absorbed through a break in the skin or the eye can cause serious illness."
    The CDC is not the only source I have found this information.
    From CDC:
    Foodborne botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by consuming foods that are contaminated with a nerve toxin called botulinum toxin. Botulinum toxin is produced by the germ Clostridium botulinum. This toxin affects the nervous system and can cause paralysis and death. Any food that may be contaminated with botulinum toxin should be discarded using extreme care. Even a tiny amount of toxin that is eaten or absorbed through a break in the skin or the eye can cause serious illness.

Then it goes on to say how to dispose of the foods.

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC on botulism

• James McNulty
    14 years ago

Linda Lou,
    I think we all hear what you are saying but throwing away canning jars goes against most of our "grain".
    I have been bad in that I have been given probably hundreds of jars over the years that were partially filled. The last large batch I was given was between 250 and 300 jars and half were filled by a family member in the 1970's or before. The jars were from moldy to completely dried out with rusted through tops. The rings were hell to get off.
    I however did what I would be yelled at and donned a pair or rubber gloves and buried the contents in holes in a non used portion of the garden. I then preliminarily washed, bleach and hot water washed, and dried them all. Got a wonderful bunch of old canning jars for my work. Bad I know.
    There is just something that screams "NO" to most people when you tell them to throw out glass canning jars. We know that the jars can be sterilized and reused as are other things in our environment that have been contaminated.
    Yes, I know, double bag and throw them out if you want to be safe and do not want to clean them or take the risk of cleaning them.
    Jim in So. Calif.

• madmagic
    14 years ago

People need to be very, very careful about ingesting products which can cause them serious illness. Just last Friday afternoon, I was out in the garden and foolishly touched the compost heap with my bare fingers. Then, without thinking, I took out a cigarette, lit it, and smoked it. Not realizing I had just put billions of microbes to my lips, where they would soon stealthily attack my vulnerable immune system.

Later that evening, I began to notice every one of the classic signs and symptoms of botulism as described on Linda_lou's CDC link: "double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, or muscle weakness." Growing alarmed, I considered calling the local poison control centre, revising my last will & testament, or just surrendering to fate and waiting for my inevitable demise.

Then suddenly I realized the symptoms were more likely a result of the half-dozen Sleeman's Honey Brown I'd consumed. So, I opened another bottle. It was good.
    {{gwi:899726}}
    WARNING: Do not consume Sleeman's in excess. Avoid operating heavy machinery while consuming Sleeman's. Product may lead to unexpected declarations of undying affection for romantic partners, family members, old friends, and pets. Discontinue consumption of Sleeman's promptly if unconsciousness results. Sleeman's is not a toy, and should not be given to young children under any circumstances.

All the best,
    -Patrick
    (personally, I worry more about bee stings. and lightning.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sleeman's, a fine Canadian beer

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

What we also tell folks is that if you do get ill, the cost will be MUCH more than some jars. Possible loss of work due to illness, hospital bills, plus who wants to go through that ?
    Not me. I would rather throw away the jars.
    I can buy new jars, but my husband, daughter, and grandson can't replace me.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Hope someone brings up that link to a You Tube video. It showed jars of 'something' being opened by the use of a wrench, and then the stuff started to ooze and climb out of the jars. Nasty to look at and who knows wnat was making it swell out of the jars??

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Patrick, you're supposed to STOP drinking before you get the symptoms, sheesh. And stay out of the car and away from bees and go indoors if it starts to rain.

Dang, do we have to tell you EVERYTHING? (grin)

LindaLou, I know you're right. Give that grandbaby a hug from me, I'll bet he's a kid now, no baby at all. Sigh. The Monkey Princess is in first grade and she's got a loose tooth. I told her no, she couldn't be that big. Sniff.

Annie

• ccaggiano
    14 years ago

Okay - to further put this into dollars and cents...

4 cases of Ball Mason Jars cost about $44
    4 Cases of Golden Harvest jars costs about $32

I know the economy stinks. I know money is tight. But for $32 is it really worth the risk? I would box those suckers up. Double bag the boxes and bring it to the dump.

I have two little kids myself and reusing those jars wouldn't even be up for discussion. Call me crazy, but I would never compost them. I would not bury them in the yard. I would just want them the hell out of my house asap.

And as a point of reference about how lax I am with the kids... a friend of theirs got sick with a confirmed case of swine flu this spring. Within three days, both of my kids came down with high fevers. I think it is safe to say that they had swine flu but did I know for sure? Nope, because I didn't even take them to the doctor. The doctors were treating the swine flu as a regular flu. They weren't doing anything special to treat it. So why bother going? The fever broke on the fourth day. I kept them out of school for a week. And that was that.

Probable swine flu - no big deal. Possible botulism spores - no way.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The GH jars are just fine and are also made by Ball. Once the jars are soaked and washed, they will be just fine for canning. Keep in mimd that if one even had a trace of any bad thing inside, it would still see a nasty bacteria killing heat process once its filled with your canning stuff.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Check this You Tube video out.. Was recently posted, but was also applicable here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bad canning