Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passion_vines_24

What are good plants to grow in Zone 9?

passion_vines_24
16 years ago

I have several plants, but there all in pots. They have done well, but now that it is summer, which is blazing hot!, some of my plants are getting burned, even the ones that are full sun! Snapdragons, full sun, burned. I had to cut them down to the base, since all that was left was dried leaves. My passion vine, which is full sun, is starting to feel the burn as well. I don't know what to grow, Im starting to think the only thing sutible for this weather are catus. Im the type of person that likes to see color in my "garden". So what are the best plant to grow in central fl?

Comments (11)

• solstice98
    16 years ago

There are many many plants that do well in zone 9 - even in full sun. But you will have trouble keeping everything in pots because it will take watering at least once a day. Some will need watering twice a day, expecially if they are in small pots. Using water-gel crystals in your potting mix will help but won't solve the problem. Clay pots are prettier but moisture evaporates quicker so you may want to set clay pots, if that's what you have, inside a plastic pot or wrap the clay pot with something that will help keep the sun off the sides of the pot. Mounding up mulch around them helps.

You mentioned that your snaps have faded. I think you'll find that most annuals can't handle full sun in summer unless they are in the ground or in a large pot. Even there they will prefer some afternoon shade. They'll want daily watering too so they'll need your help on days when it doesn't rain. Annual's roots don't usually go as deep as most perennials so they get their moisture from closer to the surface. As it dries out from the heat, they suffer.

For the Passion vine, try mixing in some of the gel crystals, then mulching it heavily. That should help keep the soil from drying out.

Hope this helps a little,
    Kate

• shelrose
    16 years ago

One thing that can be a fun way to find this out is to look through a shelf of FL gardening books in the library or bookstore. Not everything in those books will grow in your climate, but you'll find a ton of ideas.

As to summer here, well....it's about like winter up north. Things just need to hibernate or take a break. You may notice many things around you that are still heat-loving, but you'll also notice most people's yard are looking tired. I wish it would RAIN!!

--Shelbey

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    16 years ago

I created my main garden in an area that gets afternoon shade. I can grow almost anything there even things that don't prefer our summer heat. I just amend the soil well and mulch. For full sun, I grow roses, salvias, pentas, verbena, vinca, plumbago, ornamental grasses (muhly grass provides nice color when everything else seems very tired), even low growing lantana which is overused but still pretty and so tough!
    I agree with the advice about pots though. I hate growing things in pots...tooo much work. The one exception to that is pelargoniums which like it dry and succulents.
    Theresa

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

i agree completely with all of theresa's choices... i'd add zinnias, which just love this weather, tho you must find ones that are resistant to fungal issues. just throwing out some things that are colorful and do well this time of the year that theresa didn't name:
    1) jatrophas
    2) milkweed
    3) sunroses (ice plants)
    4) coleus of all sorts
    5) firecracker plant

take advantage of your afternoon shade. keep things well mulched. consider a micro-sprinkler system. be patient, we get a second spring in november...

we're neighbors -- i'm in deland. poke around my blog, looking under the hot weather months (on the right-hand sidebar) -- i have pics of things that bloom well in our area.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardening in central florida

• guapogardener
    16 years ago

Other great plants for container gardens, in the summertime, are:

plumbago
    angelonia
    vinca (periwinkle)
    bulbine
    agaves
    crown of thorns
    ice plant
    lantana
    succulents
    kalanchoe thrysiflora
    copperplant
    ti plant (black magic!)
    croton
    chenille plant
    joseph's coat "party time"

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

I love my geraniums and they love pots!I love zinnias also but have them in the beds.{{gwi:905115}}
    Desert Rose are super simple but heavy feeders
    {{gwi:165042}}
    These have filled in beautifully since this shot of caladiums and Ragin Cajun Ruellias{{gwi:151750}}

• zozzl
    16 years ago

The following are bloomin and thriving right now in my yard and they get the blistering afternoon sun:

Monarda punctata
    Porterweeds
    Mexican sunflower- dwarf
    plumeria
    African blue basil
    Rosemary
    Fennel
    Gerberas
    Beautyberry
    Thunbergia erecta
    Pentas
    blue pea vine, clitoria ternata
    salvias/sages
    hibiscus
    cannas

• svdbybld
    16 years ago

I am in North Florida, Jacksonville, but I still feel the heat. I agree witht he Pentas and Plumbago. My Plumago is in full sun and does not get much water, except when it rains. Daylilies also do wel.. But I do have a question. I see that Gerberas and Hibiscus mentioned. I have both in full sun, but the leaves wilt in the middle (heat) of the day. If I water them the bounce back, or at night/ early morning they will be fine. Is this normal. I water the Hibiscus every other day and by Gerberas are in post, the soil is till moist, not dry.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Some plants do that midday as protection

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    16 years ago

oh -- i'll add burgmansia and datura. they look best when the rest of garden looks bad. you'll have to get them as passalongs, tho, since i've never seen them for sale at garden centers.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Oh our big stores carry Brugs complete with flowers! I watched as people walked by fondling the flowers and tried to talk sense into the managers but no luck.