Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixielib

What to do with squash

dixielib
16 years ago

Ok, my yellow crookneck squash is coming in gangbusters. I am having to bite my tongue to not cuss it when I find more than I can eat each day. How are you "putting up" squash? I partially dehydrated some and froze them. I would also like to try them in pickle relish...both sweet and dill. Have you done this? How did it turn out? Recipes to share?

Comments (8)

• bb
    16 years ago

priceless response...never gets old,

put in bags, drop on neighbors door step, ring bell, run away.

pickle it, make bread, you can freeze loaves of it, soup; and freeze it

give it to your local shelter.

• zabby17
    16 years ago

dixie, I SO know what you mean! With me it's Eight-ball zucchini (and some mystery variety that is pear-shaped) and the real irony is that I DIDN"T EVEN PLANT IT --- they are two volunteer plants, presumably from fruit that got left on the vine last year...

Mostly I make zucchini bread (use any summer squash). I grate one or two or three up a day in the flush of the season, and bake a two-loaf batch every second day or so; I cut the loafs into thirds, wrap in foil, put several in a big Ziplock, and we eat them all winter long for breakfast. It's simple to make and fast to get into the oven, and when I don't have time even to do that I put another two-cup portion of grated squash in the freezer to bake later.

I've also pureed some right into a pulp and made a lovely veggie soup by cooking up a bit of onion and garlic, adding the zuke puree and a jar of tomato sauce and a few herbs, salt & pepper. So now I'm freezing some puree, too, for doing this in the winter.

Last night at a restaurant I had a cream of zucchini soup that was to DIE for. I laughed when I saw it on the menu, AS IF I was going to help use someon ELSE'S zucchini, but the waiter raved about it and insisted on getting me a little sample to try (we are regulars there), and indeed it was so nice I ordered a bowl.

I am going to have to try to get the recipe from them! The waiter said the morning guy always makes the soup and he was already gone home.

Good luck, and congrats on your harvest!

Z
    P.S. Oh, yeah, the other trick is to pick 'em VERY SMALL, then you can pan-fry up a whole bunch of them for one meal they are tender and delicious with just a bit of butter at that stage.

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Quite ironically, I just posted this yesterday on the cooking forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini, Zucchini!

• jimster
    16 years ago

Zabby's P.S. is the best advice of all.

Any chemists here? Someone needs to invent a way of making gasoline from zucchini. The U.S. would then be self sufficient for fuel.

Jim

• izzysmom
    16 years ago

I slice some thin and dehydrate then fully and put then in jar and seal
    with foodsaver. When ready to use - reconstitute and fry them as you
    regular would fried squash.
    I also can or freeze them for pies; here is the recipe I use.
    it is great tasting--

Squash Pie

1 1/2 cups cooked and mashed yellow squash
    1 stick butter (melted)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 Tabsp. flour
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    1 teasp. vanilla
    1/4 teasp cinnamon
    1/2 cup coconut
    pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients.
    Pour into 9 1/2 inch pie shell
    Bake at 375* until done aobut
    45 to 55 min till center is set.

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

the blue ball book has a very good zucchini relish recipe that you could use the squash in. I'm planning on making a batch tomorrow. I love it on hot dogs and hamburgers!

I got this recipe from my sister's mother-in-law. I've made it with both zucchini and yellow squash. it's yummy!

ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE

1 lb. ground beef
    1 lb. zucchini
    1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese
    1 small or medium onion chopped
    1 can cream of mushroon soup

Brown meat lightly over medium heat with onion.
    Parboil sliced zucchini (1/4 to 3/8" thick) about 2-4 minutes, drain.

In greased casserole, put a spoon of soup and spread around.
    Then put a layer of zucchini, a layer of meat, a layer of cheese.
    Put remaining soup on top and then another layer of zucchini, meat and
    cheese.

Top with cracker crumbs and dot with butter.
    Bake in 300 degree oven for 1 hour.

I added the zucchini to the wet ingredients before adding the dry ingredients. It's a very thick batter, but it turns out very moist. They are more like cake than brownies, but it's very yummy!

Zucchini Brownies

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shredded zucchini
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
    Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.

Impossible Zucchini-Tomato Pie

2 cups chopped zucchini
    1 cup chopped fresh tomato
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 cups milk
    3/4 cup Bisquick
    3 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 tablespoon pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch quiche dish or pie plate. Sprinkle zucchini, tomato, onion and cheese into plate.

Beat remaining ingredients until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high, or 1 minute with hand beater. Pour into plate. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean - about 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
    Note: I've added different spices like basil and garlic and it's really tasty!

Yield: 6 servings

barbi

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

I forgot to add - thanks for all the other recipes! I've added quite a few of them to my collection!

Barbi

• another_buffalo
    11 years ago

Well, I was over at cooks.com and found a recipe for mock pineapple and suggestions on what to use it for.

MOCK PINEAPPLE FROM ZUCCHINI
    4 qt. shredded or chunked zucchini
    1 1/2 c. real lemon juice
    1 can (46 oz.) unsweetened pineapple juice
    3 c. sugar
    Mix and stir. Cook 20 minutes. When cool fill containers and freeze