Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
granite_grrl

stella d'oro - I didn't know!

granite_grrl
16 years ago

We got a basic landscape plan drawn out by a local nursery, which called for Stella d'Oros. We got them last month, and saw they had already flowered, but got them in the ground anyway.

This week the one plant has rebloomed! I did take a look around on the forums to find that these were rebloomers, I'm very pleased. Now I'm wondering about the reblooming.

I know its not always consistant, but is there a period of time in the year that I can expect them to rebloom (obviously, with the fall coming on they aren't going to get too many more chances). Is it often that they will bloom more than twice in a year?

I was a little dissapointed in their boring yellow shade, but excited that they have more than one chace to flower. I think I might see if the same nursery sells purple d'oro too (which I assume is very similar to the stellas, except for the colour).

Rebecca

Comments (5)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Rebecca,

I think it depends on your zone, soil, temps, and light situation. Mine all bloom heavily at the end of June, then sporadically the rest of the season. The plants in full sun bloom more often throughout the summer, in shade, they rarely rebloom until late summer.

I much prefer Pardon Me, which is in partial shade, and blooms non-stop all summer!

Julie

• granite_grrl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I google imaged pardon me, it is rather pretty.

I think I spied a few lists of repeat bloomers on this board, I'll go through the list later and see what I like/what's avaliable.

The stellas get a fiar bit of light where they're at, but I think I could move them someplace where they could get a lot more. thanks!

Rebecca

• Nancy
    16 years ago

For me Stella blooms once heavily for about 3 weeks or so, then maybe a bloom here & there. usually when the weather cools a bit, it blooms again, but not as heavy as the 1st time. Happy returns to me is a prettier color & reblooms more steadily. There are lots of reblooming daylilies, but that doesn't necessarily mean reblooming all season. They put out some blooms, then some more blooms appear, & maybe another time. But then they are gone for the year. Pandora's Box rebloomed better this year than it ever has, started in May & finished in mid July, constantly putting out blooms in that time.

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

I live in zone 7, so my blooms may be different than what you'd get... but, my Stella started blooming in May, big show in June and has not stopped blooming yet. I have three little clumps (about 1'-2' wide each) and there are usually at least 4+ scapes up in bloom from June - Now. They went in as little baby fans and in two season increased dramatically to clumps. Although they are just a basic gold, they really do add a lot of consistant, carefree color to the yard.

Stella even got fancy on me this year - Stella

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

Stella d'oro was removed from my garden, it would always bulk up ever so very quickly, though just never wanted to at all flower freely, and I've heard the same from others in my cold zone ... BUT, on the otherhand, Stella Supreme has been excellent and a true winner! ... and yes, it flowers freely for the entire summer!

Terry