Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rarejem

My daylilies by 'Flash' light (pics)

rarejem
15 years ago

Working overtime in preperation for our fishing trip has kept me at work very late, and last night I didn't get into the yard until twilight. I had some wonderful blooms, and couldn't resist trying to get pictures of some of them. Of course pictures taken with a flash flash are never really representative of the true bloom (although I swear that must be how some hybridizers get their colors on their brochure pics!!), but some of mine turned out cool enough that I thought I would share an evening walk for a change. I just wish that they really had this depth of color in the daytime!

AUTUMN WOOD:

BARACUDA BAY:

CHERINO:

ETOSHA:

HUDSON VALLEY:

IVORY EDGES:

JOLLY LAD:

LATIN RHYTHM:

MORT MORSS:

MORTICIA:

PAINTING THE ROSES RED:

ROYAL BUTTERFLY:

TUSCAWILLA TIGRESS WITH TANAMARA:

Thought it would be fun to post them for something different!

Julie

Comments (14)

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Neat photos Julie...I've taken a few at night and they are always fun. Thanks for sharing yours.
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

They look absolutely great. I would never have though of taking them at dusk with the flash but it worked out very well. All those rich saturated colors look warm and inviting.

• njmomma
    15 years ago

OOOHhhh very nice! I NEED Autumn Wood!

• rarejem
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan, They are fun, aren't they? I would never use them to document what my flowers look like, but love to see the flowers glow like that!

Rita, You guys all have such vibrant colors in your lilies anyway that I can just imagine what they would look like with a flash. Again, not a good idea for a true representation, but tons of fun to play with!

Julie

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Great idea but no blooms to shot unfortunately. Will have to try to remember to try it just for fun when they bloom again. Was it dusk with still some light or pretty dark when you took the pictures?

• rarejem
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rita,

It was just dusk... it was still light enough that several of them I took both with the flash and without just to try to get a decent one that was in real color, but then they started to get fuzzy so I gave up and just let the flash go. And I am still crossing my fingers for some rebloom for you so you have more to post!

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

OMG! They are awesome with the dark backgrounds! I'll have to try that sometime.
    I've seen Autumn Wood posted by several people here, and I'm anxious to see mine bloom next year, since all of you speak so highly of it.

I'd like to add Cherino to my list, but can't seem to find it on the net anywhere. I suppose you'll be gone soon, so you may not be able to answer right away, but when you come back, maybe you could tell me where you purchased it?

Thanks for sharing your fun flash pics!

Julie

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

Love that pic of Painting the Roses Red and that clup shot of Tuscawilla Tigress.

Julie if your looking for Chireno I found it available at Moon's Farm for $8 and Marietta for $12. May be to late in the season for shipping.

Tom

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Thanks, Tom!
    Your spelling was different, so I was able to see it on Marietta's site. I'll still add it to my list, and maybe get it next year...such a resonable price!

WI Julie

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

These are all very pretty.I might have to try taking some pictures at dark too,maybe they will look better then my daytime pictures,.I like that Baracuda Bay,and Cherino,and the clump shot is gorgeous..Thanks for taking the time to post them.I injoyed them very much.

Jean

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

3 of my family members are into photography as a hobby. They told me there are 2 times in the day you can capture the accurate colors in the landscape, what they refer to as the "golden hours". The 1st hour of sun in the morning & the last hour of sun of the day. Someone over on the conifer forum was complaining they couldn't get a good pic of a yellow conifer & this technique was mentioned there as well.

My big problem is my neighbors thinking I'm nuts! They know how much I'm into my yard as it is, & then going out there & taking a bunch of pics of everything problem puts icing on the cake. Ah, who cares, right?

• i_c_dillies
    15 years ago

Here a click, there a click, everywhere a click click.
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Honestly, you have to get the shot whenever you can!
    Julie,
    Your photos are gorgeous. I've taken night photos too, and have gotten some really interesting results.

Thanks for sharing these. They're awesome.

Lrae

• mizellie
    15 years ago

Cool pix and they are lovely twilight pix...Ellie

• katlynn719
    15 years ago

Julie, I'm always looking for a different way to photograph daylilies and I've never tried this...so thanks for the new idea!
    Kathy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES