Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

New to Hoya's and need help fast!

jojosplants
14 years ago

Hello,

I am new to growing Hoya's. I got 4 from ebay about 6 months ago, and knowing nothing, have managed to keep them alive.

I find myself needing to repot them fast! They are all still in the 2" pot they shipped in.

Today I found them water logged no thanks to my roof springing a leak right over them! They were all sitting in a shallow dish, drip tray so to say, so they really soaked up water. :(

I have Bella, Serpens, Minibel, and a Ceropegia linearis.

I've read through some old posts and see some have different water needs. Are there any of what i have that should not go together?

Also, What kind of potting mix? Is there anyone here using any of Al's mixes.?

If so, I am very interested in hearing about those, but am open to all suggestions!

Puglvr.. are you here?

I'm sorry I dont have time to research all this on my own, I had intended to . But they are soaked, and i need to go clean up the mess from the leak.

Thanks for your help,

JoJo

Comments (18)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Jojo...and welcome to the hoya forum. Glad to see you here. So you have hoyas too, congrats! I do have all my hoyas in Al's mix. I tweek the ingredients according to the specific plants(some prefer it moister than others) There are many beautiful hoyas in this forum along with many different types of potting mixes...and most of them grow them succesfully. I just happen to use and really like Al's mix for my hoyas. I only grow two of what you have, both very small, Bella and Serpens...these two does NOT do well for me in hot and humid FL. They apparently prefer the cooler climate? Mine does a little better in winter here and goes to heck in the summer,lol...honestly, I'm surprised that its even alive? I think this plant shrinks every year for me. I heard that Bella and Serpens likes it on the moist side(not wet). I don't grow the other two you have, but I would guess that they might benefit from letting them dry out a bit before watering it again?

I would go ahead and repot them with fresh potting mix, trying to remove most of the old mix disturbing the roots as little as possible. Keep them in a warm room as much as possible to avoid root rot. Hopefully others might have more specific advise for you. Good luck!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pug!
    So good to see you too! Yes, just fell in love with them when I saw them on a website! Mine are small too. 8-10" long. minibel is a little bigger and in a 6" pot.

So far they've just been getting a light watering with a spray bottle. I got them right before the holidays and havent had a chance to really read up on them.

Now the two that you/we have,(Bella and Serpens) you say like it a little more on the moist side, are yours in the 5-1-1 or the gritty mix 1-1-1? I have all the materials to make any mix.

Belive me, I was not happy to see them sitting in water this morning. UGH!!
    The room they are in has a east and south window and is pretty warm.

Thanks so much for your help!

I will be here more often, now that life is slowing down a bit. :)
    Have a great day!
    Hugs!

JoJo

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Jojo...all my hoyas are in the gritty mix(1-1-1). I actually don't use the 5-1-1. I prefer the gritty mix because it has a much longer inbetween repot life. I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask about the two we have as I'm not having the best luck with them. If it was any other ones that I have, I feel better about giving you advise on the ones that's doing well for me. You would have to ask me about the two I have the worst luck with,lol...I would think this time of year you can probably keep it in bright(indirect sun) exposure? Again, I read/heard that these two prefers the cooler temps over the fl heat. If you like the looks of Serpens, You might try Mathilde, they look very similar to Serpens, the leaves are slightly bigger...but MUCH easier for me to grow. Only thing is the blooms are not as pretty as Serpens in my opinion. But I'd rather have one that grows well for me that one that is always on the brink of death,lol...I envy the people here that can grow Serpens and get them to bloom!

Here's a picture of my H.mathilde
    {{gwi:928424}}

• johanna76
    14 years ago

I have heard that if they get accidentally over watered that you can set them on a stack of newspaper to suck up some of the excess water (pull out of the pot first or course). Re potting would be better if you have the time and material on hand though. Good luck!

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

You've got quite the green thumbs there pug - Love your Mathilde! Gorgeous! Hopefully mine will look like that one day too!
    Would love to have a stroll trough your garden! The added feature would be living in Florida !!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks golden, you probably don't want to walk my yard right now...with our 10 day freeze event two weeks ago, my yard has a lot of "frozen" brown tropical trees and plants :o( Maybe this summer it will look better? But you're welcome to come by and see my hoyas :o)

• Denise
    14 years ago

Jojo,

Don't worry about your Hoyas. A good soaking won't hurt them at all. You can do as Johanna suggested (this works well), but I'd just set them somewhere so the drainage holes are exposed and that will allow air from both ends. Hoyas can take a lot more moisture than succulents. I try to never let mine dry out completely. I refer to them as "semi-succulents" or "honorary succulents." They can take some dryness like succs, but they prefer not to go too dry. There are some variables - H. multiflora/javanica (or whatever it is!) wants to be constantly moist, whereas H. kerrii likes to dry out more than most. Your plants will be fine whether you repot or not!

Denise in Omaha

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello!
    Pug, I think your plants are just beautiful! And I certianly trust what you say! :) I think I will try the 5-1-1. We are alot dryer than you!

Johanna,
    I do have them still in pots, on paper towels, and that is helping pull out the excess. I will also try as you say and set them back in the plant room shortly and remove from pots.

I can get them repotted tomorrow. Better safe than sorry. :) I was planning on moving them to new pots soon anyway. :)

Denise,
    The only problem is, I don't know how long they were in the water. The rain started 5 days ago. Every plant in that room are succulents, so I don't look real cloes every day. Were in the middle of remodeling parts of our home, so Ive been busy.

I have all the materials to mix the 5-1-1 so I will do that first thing in the morning.

I get up at 3 am, so it's almost bed time. LOL!

Thank you so much ladies,
    for the warm welcome and your help!

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Jojo, I am now on the same boat as you!!!

:-)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What boat Mike?

Please don't tell me your roof sprang a leak!

JoJo

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!

JoJo I got a Hoya right after the holidays I think at the beginning of Jan. Its an EA plant and pirategirl said that those are usually mislabeled. I bought mine in a hanging basket for $7 or $8 but have no idea how to care for it.

The label says Hoya "Sulawesii" but this time I think it is labeled correctly. I looked the name up in goolge and found this picture...which looks identical to mine; basket, size, color...everything! haha!

I've kept it moist and don't let the soil dry out very much. When i first got it the long stems and leaves were very limp and now they are poking straight out and the leaves are firm and full, plus new growth. So I must be doing something right but I want to keep better care of it and get it to bloom hopefully.

Pug, in your photo I think I see that you have rocks in the tray that collects water. Is that to add humidity?

Ashley

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Ashley the tag is almost right just not the proper species name. Hoya incurvula and Hoya brevialata are both very similar and both species can be found on the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia. Your plant is most likely Hoya brevialata.

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Nice Hoya Ashley! Humidity we don't lack here in FL,lol...I use the small rocks on all my drip trays just as an extra precaution so right after I water and return the plant, it won't be sitting in water after it drips. I have heard of people using small rocks for added humidity, I just really don't need any more.

Enjoy your new Brevialata! They have very pretty blooms!

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Thanks for the clarity Mike! Pug, the photo is one I found on the web but looks identical to mine at home. Good idea with the rocks, but for me in Texas, I'll use them for that purpose and to add humidity. Haha!

Anyone have advice for a newbie? I know the Texas heat is harsh and I don't want to compromise the plant by putting it in the sun or not giving it enough light in the shade.

Thanks!

Ashley

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hi Ash..Lol..

I am begining to think you have a ton of different plants!!

If I lived in Texas, I would definately find a buy to put a "shade cloth" above all my plants in a nice location in my yard...That is what the local nurseries do, including myself for any plants that can only tolerate shade or light in the heat of summer..I would have them planted in well draining soil, and squirt the house on them frequently, to make up for the lack of humid air..

They sell these shades cloths, all over the place, and I would assume more popular in your area..Some are pretty cool looking. Some look like sail boat shaped cloths that tie onto trees,and poles, or even homes..Many people sit under these which can bring the temps underneath them much lower, by 10-20 degrees cooler...

For many, this is their only means of shade, since many people have no trees to bring shade to their homes alone, including my cousin who lives in Pheonix..

I hope this gives you a great idea..To me, it seems that every plant I have ever bought from a nursery, has always been provided bright diffused light, all day long, including these in which they thrive..

So,now I look for ways to provide bright diffused sunlight to most my plants that can not handle the full intense sun. Some even get very early morning sun in summer, or late in the day sun....Then, because I have trees , many type plants would end up hanging underneath them from branches getting dabbled light..

Let us know how they do..ok

Mike

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hey Mike! How've you been?

Haha! I have accumulated many more plants since the last time we talked. What can I say...I love 'em! : )

Hmm...a shade cloth?! That sounds like a great idea. I could attach it to my fence and then tie it to something off the side of my condo.

Since I have a small patio, half is shaded and the other half gets direct afternoon light, would this affect my other plants that need direct sun light? Ha! What am I saying...Im in texas so the heat from the sun is a lot more harsh and eveything I've gotten has propably come from a nursery that has a shade cloth, as you said. Haha! I'm sure it'll be a good buy. Though I could always rig something to hang it on in the shaded section of the patio.

Well, if I decide to get one, could I get one at a box store? Or should I go to a nursery?

Ashley

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hey..How are you too!!!

I think I might of saw some of them last year at Costo's and B'js..I also saw then being sold at my nursery and my local nursery supply store..

They are gaining alot of popularity, especially the funky looking sail ones...

Type in google...."Sail shade clothes", and see how beautiful they can be!!

You have been busy my friend collecting some beauties..Your plants will bask outdoors underneath these, trust me....In fact even your full sun ones too..Mine did at least!

Good luck..Let us know what you decide...

Hi Pug!!:-)))))))

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Ashley, your hoya brevialata and most hoyas cannot take full Texas sun...way too intense especially in the summer. Shade cloth is a good option. If you can't provide that bright indirect light will do great for most hoyas and other type of houseplants. Except a few like Jades/Succulents/Cacti that love full sun, but even that I'm sure can use a break from the intense afternoon summer sun from TX and FL,lol...

Normally, the big box stores will have better prices and selections for shade cloths. Unless the nursery is having a sale, I would shop around for the best deal.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus