Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bucktales

Do I have to take the skin off tomatoes?

bucktales
15 years ago

This is my first year with a garden, and I have tomatoes coming out of my ears. I want to make some spaghetti sauce, and found several recipes online. Some here:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,canned_spaghetti_sauce,FF.html

and 1 on the pick-your-own website. My question is - do I really have to peel the tomatoes? I've got a million things going on at the moment and lots to do and don't necessarily feel like taking those extra steps - but I will if its absolutely necessary? Also, some recipes say to squeeze all the juice out of the tomates, and some don't.... what gives with that?

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

You'll regret it if you don't remove them, sorry. See previous discussions on this linked below.

Also, please be sure you are using a tested and safe canning recipe. Many on the net are NOT safe recipes for canning. Use the approved recipe in the Ball Blue Book or the one from NCHFP the National Center for Home Food Processing. There are also many recipes here that a search will pull up.

The recommendation for pre-squeezing is so you will have a thicker sauce. It gets rid of much of the water in the fruit up front and can save you lots of time in cooking down the sauce.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Why remove tomato skins discussions...

• karen_b
    15 years ago

Pressed for time...as the tomatoes ripen throughout the summer try the following. Wash the tomatoes, cut off the stem end and any blemishes, cut in half lengthwise, squeeze out as much seed & juice as you can (but you can skip this), place in a gallon size ziplock bag and freeze until you have time to make sauce. Continue these steps until the season is over. Then when you have time to make your sauce thaw the tomatoes in the fridge, then drain in a colander, then cook tomatoes until soft (so straining will be easier) and strain through a food mill and make your sauce per recipe.

I've been making tomato sauce like this for years

• bucktales
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. Thats a great idea. I think next year I'll prep them in batches so I don't have so much work to do all at once.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living