Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorirrt16

what to do with shallots?

Lorirrt16
10 years ago

I have an abundance of small shallots from garden. Has anyone ever pickled them? Do you have a recipe? what else can I do with them? Thanks !

Comments (9)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

The Ball Blue Book has a recipe for pickling onions. Might take a look at that.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

I am jealous! I've been struggling to grow shallots the last few years, and never harvesting more than I plant. Did you have a wet summer? I bet they loved that :).

You can, of course, leave them in the ground to grow more next year, or store them dry for winter use.

I have never had enough to pickle, but they sound tasty!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

1- you can plant them. It is best to plant small shallots than big ones.

2- Shallot is just an onion variety. Sometimes called multiplying onions. You use it the same way you would use onions.

• malna
    10 years ago

I like Delia Smith's Pickled Shallots in Sherry Vinegar. It is a British recipe so no processing instructions are given. (I do half-pints and BWB for 5 minutes using sterilized jars.) If you're uncomfortable with that, there are probably other recipes out there that are tested and approved - I just like this one so haven't looked any further.

It's also very good with red wine vinegar - they turn a lovely pink color.

The small ones are (from what I'm told) are what you replant in the fall or the spring for next year's crop. I've set aside my smaller bulbs for replanting, and I'm enjoying eating the big ones :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Delia Smith's Pickled Shallots

• calliope
    10 years ago

I have had bumper years on them, and just braided, cured and hung them and they were still viable for planting next spring and I used what I wanted of them through the winter. Even the tiny ones can be plopped into roasts and stews.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

frizzled shallots as a garnish == to die for

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

If shallots are cured properly they will last quite a while. As for another use for them, I've thought of dehydrating some of my shallots and grinding them up to use like onion powder. I do this with some of my garlic and the garlic powder I make is WAY more flavorful than store bought.

There is an interesting post on the allium forum about growing shallots, if anyone is intersted.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: why are my shallots so small

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Ina Garten has recipe where they are cooked in a mixture of olive oil and butter and then served on top of mashed rutabagas. Definitely yummy. Save the flavored oil for cooking other things in. Definitely a fave.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Ina Garten has recipe where they are cooked in a mixture of olive oil and butter and then served on top of mashed rutabagas. Definitely yummy. Save the flavored oil for cooking other things in. Definitely a fave.