Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Hoya Lacunosa or Obscura????

haxuan
16 years ago

This is my found yesterday from the roadside hoya market. Could someone help me identify, pls! Many thanks.

{{gwi:941654}}

{{gwi:397940}}

Xuan (forever asking for names!)

Comments (12)

• haxuan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think maybe I should include the following details about this hoya.

The veins on the leaf are quite visible, the leaves overall are smaller than regular carnosa and not as green:
    {{gwi:941655}}

The stem of the peduncle is rather long:
    {{gwi:941656}}

Hope that would help more. Thank you for your inputs.

Xuan (forever asking for names!)

• cpawl
    16 years ago

Hi,Xuan It looks like my obscura that I got from bangkok. This is what I thought it was but I could be wrong. I'm sure others will know. Cindy

• paulahawaii
    16 years ago

Looks just like my obscura too...

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Yep, it's H. obscura.

• ks_girl
    16 years ago

I agree also and lovely flowers.
    Xuan Thanks for giving us a look at how they grow in the wild.

Jo

• shanna5
    16 years ago

I thought it was obscura but mine I just got recently and it is small and has a lot of red color. Sorry haven't taken a pic of it yet. But it looked like obscura I thought and seems everyone else thinks that too. Good luck, it's huge!!!

shanna

• haxuan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation. H. Obscura it is!
    Cindy, you said you bought one in Bangkok. How did you get it back into the US?
    Shanna, my found is really "big" (so happy!) and I saw that some leaves have reddish tin too. But overall, it's more green.
    Oh my, I'm itching to go out visit that roadside market again!

Xuan

• cpawl
    16 years ago

Xuan, I live in Canada. Be for our family trip to Thailand and Malaysia I got a permit to bring back orchids and hoya's pluse a few other plants but i could not find the other items so it was just orchids and hoya plants. I did have to take all the dirt off the roots so customs could check the roots when I got back in Canada. I also had to get permits to take them out of Thailand. Every one was very helpfully and I found the whole thing easy.I would do it again if given the chance except this time I would just cut the roots off and just root them when I got home because I spent over an hour on each plant cleaning the roots.I did have few plants that I could not save when I got home.Have a nice day and why not take swing by the market I know that could not resit. Cindy

• nova12
    16 years ago

I have to ask why everyone is saying Obscura, They look like lacunosa to me. I see more yellow that I do pink. Is everyone seeing pink in the flowers? What are the distinguishing characteristics?

I am not saying anyone is wrong, because I know most of you know your hoya's better than I do. I just wanted some clarification on the differences.

Thanks

• paulahawaii
    16 years ago

It's obscura because with just the foliage it's a dead
    giveaway.

And there is a lacunosa with pink flowers.

• User
    16 years ago

Hi Nova,

Ignoring the blooms for now, the leaves btwn Obscura & Lacunosa look very different.

The Obscura has visible veining which Lacunosa does not. Lacunosa's leaves tend to be smallish, dark green & glossy, reminiscent of Citrus leaves; I've never seen them show veining, rather they sometimes show 'dimples' or dents like characteristic of the Hoya known as "Krinkle 8". ALso, Obscura can have a slightly pear shaped leaves, which is not true of the Lacunosas I've seen.

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Nova, like Paula said, the leaves are definitely a dead giveaway. Even if there were no bloom photos, H. obscura is one of those hoyas that is easily identified just by the foliage (kind of like H. carnosa 'KQ').

Gabi

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living