Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Some new cuttings

mdahms1979
14 years ago

Here are some quick shots of my first cuttings of the season.

Hoya sp. Davao Philippines

Hoya sp Bogor

Hoya paziae with it's slightly dehydrated leaves.

Hoya sp. GPS 3762

The cuttings are just starting to root now after being potted up for about a week. The Hoya sp 3762 is my favorite just because it is a mystery and different from most other more easily recognizable Hoyas, I am hoping that it turns out the be one of the less common Acanthostemma section species. I got the Hoya sp Bogor and Davao Philippines for their leaves and both will look fantastic once they start to grow although they look kinda plain in the photos.

Mike

Comments (10)

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Hey Mike where did you get those if you don't mind saying, I really like the Davao and Bogor leaves.

Dee

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Nice cuttings Mike, you always have such unique hoyas to share, I've never heard of most of them. Thanks, as always for sharing them with us. . .

Maid~

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very nice cuttings Mike, I agree with Maid you always have the cool unusual hoyas. I sure haven't heard of most of them either. Thanks for sharing!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These and a large number of my other Hoyas are from Paul Shirley Succulents. Mr. Shirley has a large collection of plants including Hoyas, Dischidias, Ceropegias and Stapeliads which are all members of the same plant family. Some of the Hoyas are from a collecting trip Mr. Shirley made to Sulawesi and others apparently were bought by Mr. Shirley when another grower sold their Hoya collection. I don't think that there is shipping to the USA because of past problems but there may just be special conditions.

Maid and Pug I have already got most of the more common Hoyas that appeal to me so I am now in search of the less known species. I really like the small growing species and interesting Acanthostemma section species because they make such nice hanging plants and I find their small flowers interesting so they have been high on my list. The Hoya sp Bogor and Davao Philippines were both bought for the leaves but the fragrant blooms will be nice some day.

Mike

• tishfromwis
    14 years ago

Oh yeah!!! I especially like the H. sp. Bogor and H. Pazaie. Really neat foliage!!! The only one I've heard of is H. Pazaie. I know it is a long way off, but you must post pictures of the blooms...

Tish

• hong2007
    14 years ago

HI Mike,

I really like the leaves of the Hoya sp. Davao Philippines. I just recieved an order of the Pupicalix pink and silver from peppergreen house, and the leaves of it kinda look like Hoya sp. Davao Philippines.
    I also have couples of questions maybe you could help me. one of the very nice lady on Brugmansia forum send me fours cuttings of diffrent types of hoya, and Im trying to root them. I had put them in small container with seed starter soil keep moist with water and VF11 in a ziplock bag, I placed them on top my water heater in the garage.one of the cutting is an hindu rope, the rest I don't know the name. Do you know how long the rootting will take? they have been in there about five days now. thanks

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There are many ways to root Hoyas but my favorite method is to use an old aquarium or a clear plastic storage container with a clear lid. A potting mix that contains perlite and medium sized orchid bark is a good standard mix and it will keep roots healthy because of the increased air it will contain. Heat is a good idea to speed up rooting but make sure that there is balance between water, heat and light. Are your cuttings getting natural light or artificial light? Cuttings usually take a week or so to start rooting and in a month you should have a well established new plant.

Take a look at Stemma Journal and in the downloads section one of the first few issues is all about Hoya propagation. This is a great resource to learn about Hoyas.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Stemma Journal

• hong2007
    14 years ago

There is no light in that part of my garage. Should there be some type of light? I think I will redo the rooting method like you have describe. Thanks a whole bunch Mike.

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

I believe Hoya paziae is the same as cv Iris Marie, correct? I'd love to see a list of what you have in your collection!
    Love the Bogor!
    Kelly

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Hong light is very important without it you will rot the cuttings. You can put the cuttings in their bags in an east window or a shaded south or west window or near by one and they will root. Let us know if you have any problems. :)

Kelly you are right that some say Hoya paziae is the cultivar Hoya Iris Mariae. This plant is listed in the Liddle's price list as Hoya sp. aff. paziae IML 1596 but there is no actual mention of the cv. Iris Marie. I got my plant from Paul Shirley with the name Hoya paziae so I will keep that name knowing that it is still uncertain. I used to have a list of my Hoyas but then my computer had to be fixed and I lost it, might make another one up some time.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya paziae on Hoyor.net

Sponsored