Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yooperjon

canning low acid foods

yooperjon
17 years ago

I need some help. I have some asparagus I would like to can. I don't have a pressure canner. I only have a boiling water bath. So I need to know how long to process the pickled asparagus in a boiling water bath.

Any suggestions on processing snap beans the same way would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Jon

Comments (2)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

You can pickle it. Pack the jars with the pears and pour a boiling salt and vinegar brine over them to cover. Cap, and process about 15 minutes if they are quarts. Any longer than they can get very mushy. The other option is to blanch, and then freeze for later if your not into the vinegar part of it.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Pickled Dilled Beans
    4 lbs fresh tender green or yellow beans (5 to 6 inches long)
    8 to 16 heads fresh dill
    8 cloves garlic (optional)
    1/2 cup canning or pickling salt
    4 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
    4 cups water
    1 tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional)
    Yield: About 8 pints

Procedure: Wash and trim ends from beans and cut to 4-inch lengths. In each sterile pint jar, place 1 to 2 dill heads and, if desired, 1 clove of garlic. Place whole beans upright in jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Trim beans to ensure proper fit, if necessary. Combine salt, vinegar water, and pepper flakes (if desired). Bring to a boil. Add hot solution to beans, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Process 10 min. in a boiling water bath.

For six wide-mouth pint jars

10 pounds asparagus
    6 large garlic cloves
    4½ cups water
    4½ cups white distilled vinegar (5%)
    6 small hot peppers (optional)
    ½ cup canning salt
    3 teaspoons dill seed

Wash and rinse canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

1. Wash asparagus well, but gently, under running water. Cut stems from the bottom to leave spears with tips that fit into the canning jar with a little less than ½-inch headspace. Peel and wash garlic cloves. Place a garlic clove at the bottom of each jar, and tightly pack asparagus into jars with the blunt ends down.

1. In an 8-quart Dutch oven or saucepot, combine water, vinegar, hot peppers (optional), salt and dill seed. Bring to a boil. Place one hot pepper (if used) in each jar over asparagus spears. Pour boiling hot pickling brine over spears, leaving ½-inch headspace.

1. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.

1. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 min. Let cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours and check for seals.

Allow pickled asparagus to sit in processed jars for 3 to 5 days before consumption for best flavor development.