Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_49

help Mealy's

John.49
12 years ago

Need help. What do I do for Mealy Bugs? I Have read some posts. What is BATS and how do I get rid of these critters?

Are these always a problem with Hoyas, so I can be prepared? I will get armed and ready.

Thank John

Comments (5)

• rennfl
    12 years ago

John,

BATS is Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub. I don't use that one, I use the Bayer Advanced Insect Killer, when I use it, but it is the same base insecticide.

Do you have an active mealy issue, or are you just being preventative?

Renee

• John.49
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw mealy's on my hoyas. Last evening I used the a Alcohol, dish liquid and water. Just checked them and see that this did work, but I want to be preventative in the future. I also have many ferns and different plants. I saw none on any of my other plants. Do u leave the saucers on your hanging baskets of hoyas or off to let them drain more freely? Still learning, I have gardened for many years. I retired to FL from teaching especially to garden and enjoy the sun. Any help or advice is always appreciated and accepted by me.
    Thanks Renee u are most helpful
    Kindest regards
    John

• patrick51
    12 years ago

John...BATS is available at most Lowe's/Home Depots...2 tablespoons per gallon of water. Use the mixture as soon as you mix it up. It works in 99% of the cases, and rarely needs to be repeated for 6 months. The directions state that it works for 12 months, but my experience is that re-treatment is needed every 6 months. It does include a fertilizer, so it will cause a "burst" of growth when used. Do not water for 10 days after using BATS. The use of saucers under your pots is up to you. I leave the saucers on all of my pots, however, most folks in Florida remove them, due to growing their hoyas outdoors and wanting to protect their hoyas from root rot. I'd recommend that you remove the saucers if you grow your hoyas outdoors...Florida can get alot of rain. Hope this helps. Fondly, Patrick

• John.49
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Patrick, very helpful. We have had dry weather this year. My hoyas are outside and on the lanai. They are all doing really good. I love growing hoyas. I also have many, many other plants will treat them all.
    Kindest regards
    John

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Imidacloprid is the active ingredient in BATS, but Bayer makes a number of products containing Imidacloprid. I use Bayer Advanced Grub Control. It has the same 1.47% concentration of Imidacloprid, but without any fertilizer. Whatever you use, try to find a product containing 1.47% Imidacloprid, and use it at the 2 Tbs per gallon recommendation. The active ingredient concentrations should be listed in tiny print on the front label.

-Chris

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery