Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Let's see your garden art!

thisismelissa
13 years ago

Ok, I'm looking for some garden art ideas.

Let's see your garden art!

It can be of any type!

I'm in MAJOR crafting mode and want to make some treasures for my garden!

Comments (24)

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

{{gwi:942199}}

there's so much more, but that's not an organized area of our pics, so will take more poking in the pics area of the hard drives . . .

Thanks for starting this thread. It looks like it will take a while for it to develop, but if it does it will be worthwhile, wethinks!

Now we will think about that category and develop a file for it. Sometimes we visit gardens that have 'too many' 'doo-dads', but when done with some discretion garden art really finishes the job, huh?

hh

hh

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

{{gwi:939007}}
    hh

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

{{gwi:952354}}
    hh

• franknjim
    13 years ago

This is Mr. Tree. He stands about 8' tall not counting his 15 gallon hat with another 2' in the ground set in concrete. He was a Silver Maple and became my revenge for all of the surface roots that I have to deal with in the yard. He is relatively new so the climbing hydrangea at his base still needs to do some growing to cover his trunk.

{{gwi:936056}}

{{gwi:952355}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

{{gwi:250981}}

• swmogardens
    13 years ago

• coralb
    13 years ago

This is not in my garden yet. I think someone on the forum posted photos of hosta leaf stepping stones last summer and I knew I had to have them. I do not have hostas with large enough leaves to do this yet. When I do I will certainly make them. I am even thinking of growing rhubard so I can make an alternative to tide me over (the rhubarb ones are the ones in the back).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:952347}}

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Here is a link for a Hosta stepping stone mold that is 8" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Leaf 8 Inch Concrete Stepping Stone Mold

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good find, Jim, but I'd choose the one that's 14" wide.
    I think 8" is too small for a stepping stone.... I have a few regular steppers that size and they're too small for my women's size 8 and I'm going to replace them this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: 14

• nutmeg4061
    13 years ago

I love Mr. Tree.
    everyone elses pics, too. More inspirational pics, please!
    The link is to something in my idea folder.
    It's a faux millstone fountain that I imagine surrounded by hosta and swoon!

Here is a link that might be useful: faux millstone fountain

• coll_123
    13 years ago

Great thread! That millstone fountain is my dream fountain, but sadly I don't have the space for it. A couple years ago I made this smaller version out of hypertufa. I love watching the birds taking their showers on it in the morning. Chipmunks too.

I've done a lot of hypertufa pots, and also a sculpture of my dog. My other dog passed away before Christmas, and I have plans to make a statue of him this Spring.

And also my big snail, which I bought.

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

OMG!
    Everyone is soooooooo creative.
    I keep browsing this thread over and over.
    Gardeners are such great artists!

Lube Oil can collected from a storage area at DH's shop:

I found the wire chair at a second hand shop. The seat was missing...perfect for a pot of flowers:
    {{gwi:952361}}

I chose a spot among daylilies to place these artful items in remembrance of my Dad, who passed away in 2009. The chair is his. I found the old table, garden fork, and metal pan in an old abandoned shed. My dad loved gardening and he often sat on this chair under the shade of an apple tree.

Just for fun, I snapped this shot a few years ago on the lawn of a local business. The dinosaur fell over several times in high winds. It was finally anchored with cables. Wouldn't you love to have this in your yard?

This meat grinder isn't mine. I saw it on a garden walk last summer. The grinder is attached to a wooden ladder step.

Keep these inspiring pics coming!

Julie

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

Julie, I like the memorial area for your dad. I bet you can imagine him sitting there.

Mr. Tree is a hoot! I had my DH haul home a stump similar to that in the fall. Maybe I can do something like that with it, if I can remember once all the snow melts.

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Mr Tree probably weighs about 600-800lbs. Two grown men could not lift it up to put it in the hole. I had to hook a come-a-long up in the big tree to hoist it up in the air. The part that went into the hole is about 12" thick. It is very top heavy. That is why I used concrete to anchor it between the large roots of the big tree behind it.

• sharlened
    13 years ago

This is my gardening barn, complete with 6 mini cows hiding amongst the flowers and windmill.

These are my john deere boxes off a corn planter - I have one on each side of my front steps.

You can see my walking plow and geese in this bed, as well as some of my other hosta beds in the background with my cedar swing.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

Great ideas everyone, thanks for sharing.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

Rocks and statuary:

{{gwi:213837}}

Birdbaths

{{gwi:228922}}

Benches and birdhouses

{{gwi:233503}}

DW likes angels

{{gwi:232194}}

Homemade arbor

{{gwi:222609}}

Lantern

{{gwi:952368}}

• calicocat1967
    13 years ago

I am loving all of this. I love....love....love garden art. The more unusual the better. I have posted these before, but wanted to share again.

{{gwi:131486}}

THINK SPRING !!!!
    Kim

• rosie742001
    13 years ago

LOve the pick-up.but it never have made it into my garden! Lew would have dragged it into the barn and started restoring it.

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

What a great thread! I'm having trouble coming up with good pics for this, and will pay closer attention to this idea for this coming year.

That being said, here goes:

Vole Patrol Abbysinian cat 'Buggars' on a wire chair with a cement statuary in the background and a woven baby basket from a garage sale in the shot:
    {{gwi:952373}}
    hh

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

easy!:
    {{gwi:952374}}
    hh

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

I don't have a lot of garden art,but here are my mushrooms. Phil

{{gwi:952376}}

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Phil, I LOVE LOVE LOVE those Mushrooms!

I'm taking a pottery class and tonight is our last night to make stuff from clay, and next week we'll glaze whatever is left over.

I think I might try and make some of those mushrooms tonight. I made some like the attachment, with the narrower stem, but I like the fatter stem, like yours. Do they have any sort of metal stake in them to keep them from tipping over?

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Melissa,yes they have some short metal covered with plastic stakes under there. Otherwise,the sqirrels that run in the woods would knock them over. I bought these at a garden store. We used to make these in ceramics,back when we did ceramics,but had to give it up,because there are no supplies to be had around here. Phil

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone