Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Will the real spring please show up!!

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Last night,major thundershowers,and storms. Including some hail! I found just a few holes in a leaf here and there,but no major damage. Had a hard time sleeping with the crashing and booming going on all night. This is supposed to go on for another two nights and days. I would love to see some warm calm days in the garden,where I didn't have to worry about something coming down on my head,or on a hosta! The wind never stops blowing from the northwest,and hosta leaves are being thrashed. How are the rest of you all doing? I see North Dakota is having another snowstorm. Glad I don't live up there. Phil

Comments (14)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Same storm starting here. 45 degrees and windy. The only good news is that none of my hosta are much more than pips at this point. Nothing in the garden is leafing out yet.

I'm looking forward to May!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

haha..I know it's the pits, but that all sounds par for the course for spring. I think we are waiting for the "real summer" to please show up! :)

A bit to your norht here in the Baltimore area we have a chilly, drizzly day with thunderstorms on their way. Everything is soaked and chilled, and it looks to stay that way through Friday.

I've said this so many times already, but here I go again: "This is the LAST time I'm turning on the heater!! It's all 65+ from here on!" Hey, it's bound to be true eventually if I just keep saying it...

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

We've got rain forecasted for the next 4 to 5 days - UGH. Pots are on their sides as they surely don't need any more moisture! Feel for you, Phil. I really don't like thunderstorms. After seeing hail damage on a few pics, I gathered all pots so if I need to cover them, the majority of them can quickly be covered up (another plus for potted hosta) in one area, leaving the few in the ground to be covered up individually. I'm going to dance around the garden on the first 20 degree day!

Oh, I saw a cardinal yesterday in my neighbour's tree. We conversed for a few seconds! Lol

Jo :-)

• daisyjoy5
    10 years ago

My hostas are so huge and numerous that when we had tornado and hail warnings, I just let them be... It's impractical for me to cover everything, after all, and I had to get veggies taken care of first. Luckily they look none the worse for wear this morning. We are expecting more tonight but hopefully will be as uneventful.

The weather, though, has been temperate enough that I've been able to keep windows and doors open for these last few weeks. No heat, no air!

• esox48
    10 years ago

It's snowing and 36 in Minneapolis now. The only two hostas that have popped above the leaf litter are Choo Choo Train and montana Aureomarginata. I've been covering those at night with a big rubber pot to protect them from rabbits. Think I'll just leaf that pot on all day.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

We had freeze warnings for last night and again for tonight. I covered the plants that were starting to leaf out and left the pips to fend for themselves. I had to build a tent around my big Parhelion which is growing in a pot and almost fully leafed out. I am going to leave them covered until tomorrow and hopefully they will all be ok. We have warm weather coming back after that.

Linda

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Daisyjoy5-

"Huge and numerous" is what I long to see. Mine are all in pots, no larger than I can lift (3 gal max). Although one might reach a spread over 3' tip to tip, when it outgrows that pot is get divided and starts over. I live on a dinky suburban lot and have little space. I hope you will post photos soon. And welcome to the forum.

-Babka

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Babka, with your beautiful plants and your frequent dividing, your neighbors must love you! :)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

I said I wasn't going to baby my plants, but last night we had a hard FREEZE warning, so I decided to help them out because this year my hostas are farther along than they've ever been at this time of year. Lots of unfurled leaves everywhere.

I covered with row cover, sheets, and several pots with rocks on top. I was going to uncover them this afternoon, but after reading that Linda is leaving her covers on, I guess I'll do the same just to be safe. My pedestal birdbaths both had a layer of ice on them this morning.

I feel for those who are facing giant sized hail and tornado warnings. Scary!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Hi Sandyslopes, this morning the weatherman said there would another hard frost warning for tonight so I figured I may as well leave the covers on for another night. I covered most of mine with pots turned upside down except the biggest one which has a tarp over it. I just went out and looked under some of the pots and they all look fine. Hopefully this is the last time I will have to cover them but I wouldn't count on it. I remember a few years ago we had a big snowstorm that broke a lot of tree branches and that was on Memorial Day.

I am very grateful that we don't have to worry about tornados here and feel bad for all those that are dealing with that threat right now.

Linda

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My magnolia got stuck in large pink buds for a week now, 60 dgrs does not seem to be enough to bloom. Half of my hostas show pips, a few a little larger. But I have large hosta seedlings in the basement under light. Tomorrow will be 75 dgrs, and finally I will bring them out and pot them up - thereafter during days outside, nights in garage for a while.
    Bernd

• Mary4b
    10 years ago

I can't believe how many pots of soup I've made this year. This cold, rainy & blustery weather calls for large pots of soup....yet I want to be grilling on the patio! After shopping and tree/shrub planting in this weather, I feel a bit of a sore throat coming on. There is not one sunny day in my 10 day forecast, and none are without a chance of precipitation. Sorry to be complaining, though, with so many under the threat of tornados right now. Keep safe, southern friends!

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Things are looking up here,with no storms last night,and just cloudy today. Tomorrow,we will have sun again! I got 2 1/4 inches of rain the other night,so that should hold me fro awhile! Looking forward to a day without high winds. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Hope you come through this unscathed, Phil. And all those further north as well. We've had a sunny day nearly 80 degrees now, but I see clouds forming again. Oh mercy.
    I squished around the hosta garden and all seemed well, except the water runoff took some of my mulch and deposited in in different places. They tell me a cold front is behind all this storm and may be the reason the storms headed up the east coast. It might be a couple of days before things dry out enough for work in the garden, I don't want to create a hog wallow.

Take care, folks, I look forward to seeing your emerging hosta.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus