Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Frank Smith Catalog Arrived

newyorkrita
14 years ago

Well, my Catalog came today for the Frank Smith 2010 intros. I can't say I am overly excited. Yes, they are nice. Those southern flowers always are but I am not spending big bucks to be a northern test garden. Plus I am always afraid I would get rust. And thats one thing I do not want even if winter does kill it.

The bigest thing I noticed is that there are afew lower priced ones. Like for $100.00 and none for $350.00 this year. I was really, really surprised to see those lower prices on afew.

Comments (5)

• bluenosens
    14 years ago

Yes, Rita, I've noticed Polstons' 2010 releases seem priced lower this year. Maybe a sign of the times? Sales could be lagging or slowing?...I'm only guessing here...cheers, lloyd. I heartly argree with you about not being a northern testbed for the southeren pretties....

• floota
    14 years ago

This is horrible, but mine got here Sat. Haven't gotten around to even looking at it yet! Maybe today....

• lefox
    14 years ago

hi everyone--
    I just revieved mine also--nice-but I'm just not going to spend the big bucks anymore-not for a while anyway.
    I have seen the same down turn in puppy sales also.
    I have not bred some of my top Champion girls this year--
    The market for the great homes is slim and the world does not
    need more dogs at this time.
    some of my DL friends and I are starting a sharing list--
    Hoping to share some extras we have.
    planted more babies in the seedling bed--maybe they'll be a few keepers--

cole

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

I got mine on Saturday and just glanced through it. I'm being tempted by those pretty faces. I have his SWEET OLE MAN growing here this spring and now it has the test of our northern winter (or will we actually have a winter this year?).The ones for me that really had me taking a second look was : FIRELIGHTER, LUCK BE A LADY and DALE HENSLEY. And oh, that front inside cover photo of the garden of blooms just makes me want to have another go round of summer here.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I only have two Smith daylilies. Both bought in 2007. Both seem to be quite winter hardy for me and are growing and increasing. MIDNIGHT SENSATION is a beautiful flower and does ok. LAVA FLOW, while again a stunner of a flower, is a six budcount wonder around here. Three years it bloomed and three years it has never had more than 6 buds on a scape. Not the kind of performance I am looking for in my garden.

Its not just Smith daylilies that have budcount issues. I have chucked other southern grown out of my garden for blooming with only afew flowers or not being able to open. Some of them are a disaster for me, others are fabulous. At the prices of new southern intros, no way am I going to be the test garden to see what thrives and blooms well and what is such a poor performer that I have to send it south.