Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mentha_gw

New Hoyas confirm ID please?

Mentha
15 years ago

I just picked this guy up yesterday and the tag says Hoya purpeo-fusca with a "?" behind the name as if it is a guess. On pictures I found online, the leaves were wider on the purpeo-fusca.

and my cute little $4 compacta, with no visible mealies!

Comments (14)

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Mentha
    Here's my Purpureo Fusca, got it as an unrooted cutting from the hawaii grower.

To me they don't look like the same hoya but I really like the leaves on yours whatever it is.

Hope this helps. Shanna

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Shanna, I have rooted cuttings with leaves that look similar to your Purpureo Fusca in terms of the shape and the veins on the leaves. Is yours sort of "succulent" (thick) leaf, I mean not very thick nor very thin? Could you please give me some measurements of your leaf to compare?

Thank you.

Xuan

• User
    15 years ago

No, they definately don't look the same. Shanna's has that pronounced veining, which the other does not.

I bought a purported Purpuro fusca abr 5 yrs. ago (at plant sale table at an Indoor Gardening Mtg), which to my eye just looks like Pubicalyx: if she ever decides to bloom, maybe I'll learn what it really is.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Lot of vendors sell pubicalyx pink silver as purpurio fusca. I bought a purpurio fusca at Logee's it turned out to be pubicalyx pink silver. I've contacted Logee's about miss labeling but they still sell as purpurio fusca.
    Jan

• ks_girl
    15 years ago

I've also noticed that several places sell purpureo fusca as pubicalyx pink silver but I finally found the real thing and I can't wait for it to bloom.
    I'm not sure why they confuse the two, really when you look at them both there is a big differance.
    Jo

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Xuan
    I will get some measurements tonight. The leaves are pretty thin but have stiffened up a bit, they were pretty flimsey when I got it because it was an unrooted cutting. I will find another hoya (at my house) with the same thickness of leaves and let you know.

shanna

• Mentha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is deffinately not a pubicalyx. It's leaves are much thinner than a pubicalyx and longer and wider. It has no silver flecks of any kind, and the veining is way different.

Here is a picture with my trusty 5 in bonsai sheers for comparison. I couldn't find anything else with which to photograph with, since my camera battery is almost dead and had to take the picure quickly.

• shanna5
    15 years ago

Hey Mentha,
    Here is H. Palawanica I got from Asiatica recently. Do you think they look similar? The leaves on this hoya are thin too.

shanna

• Mentha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Shanna,
    That's about the closest I've come so far.

• Mentha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Could it be either incurvula or macgillvrayii? I just got a list of Hoyas sold at Rainbow Gardens, and these are the two I don't have any idea what they look like. Not to say they came from Rainbow Gardens, but this is the best lead I have so far.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Mentha, your plant doesn't look like incurvula or macgillvrayii.
    Jan

• Mentha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jan,
    I figured it was a shot in the dark.

• User
    15 years ago

I don't believe Logees is known for Hoyas, I'd be skeptical of their IDs. Logees, Laurays, Glasshouse Works are all nurseries mentioned often at my local Indoor Gardening Society & which local members seem to know pretty well.

As to Logees, the only IDs there I would automatically trust are those of Abutilons (flowering maples) as they're being supplied by a friend of mine who hybridized them himself (my friend Sage, author, artist & photographer of the Ceropegia Journal which I mention from time to time as a wonderful site to visit & study).

Sorry Mentha, but you might spend some time looking at Hoya sites & studying just the leaves; Incurvula is nothing like this & while I cna't remember their look offhand, I don't think McGillivray....... is either. Confusing I know, but give it time & pls. check out lots of pix, over time you'll see some of the more subtle differences.

• Mentha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks PG,
    I think I'll be calling the nursery where I got them from and ask him if he would tell me where he got these hoyas so I can contact them. I did give his worker a list of hoyas I wanted next time he goes down to Rainbow Gardens, so all is not lost!

Sponsored