Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

neighborhood history gardening

I just gave my neighbor a baby dwarf ponciana and several cuttings from my crotons. The dwarf ponc is a small tree that has become its own ecosystem in my yard, feeding a huge variety of butterflies, plus the bees, parrots and hummers and hosting a cardinal family last year. I love it.

And I look around my 'hood and see all of these "shared over the back fence" plants. There are traveler palms that all originated with one neighbor who had pups and shared them. There are several varieties of yucca that have been shared. There are also several calamondin trees in the neighborhood, including three in my yard, that I suspect came from someone who planted the first and shared the babies, probably generations ago.

And then there are the bilbergia pyramidalis broms that several yards have. When I was new in the neighborhood, someone left a bunch on my front step. I don't know who, but it was clearly a welcoming gesture, and maybe a test - is she someone who will love these like we do? I do.

Are there plants that you can spot all over your neighborhood and recognize as the results of neighborly plant sharing? To me, this is the best kind of gardening, and of neighboring. Here is something that worked well for me and you live next to me, with the same conditions I have. Why don't you try it? I like living like that.

(I also enjoy all my friends here who trade seeds with me so we can try new things, even if we aren't physical neighbors.)

Susannah

Comments (5)