Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

Using apple pie filling

Kathy F
12 years ago

This may be one of those questions for which the answer is really obvious to some or even most, but it isn't to me! :)

I'm an apple pie wanna-be. I never really made apple pies before, it always seemed like too much work. Now I've canned some of the NCHFP apple pie filling (APF) using half the Clear Jel as others have suggested, and - I don't know how to turn it into a pie! So, if anyone would be willing to take this newbie through the steps, I'd really appreciate it. Including an explanation about adding cornstarch to thicken further as some have mentioned in earlier threads, how much APF would I use for a pie, time and temp to bake, etc.

TIA,

Kathy

Comments (4)

• Kathy F
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used one of those all-in-one peeler/corer/slicers to prepare the apples. I love the ease, it sure is a time saver! But the slices came out quite thin and there doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the thickness. The filling is tasty, but I'm used to thicker chunks of apple in an apple pie. Do you do your apple slices this way or another way?

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Normally you just dump the filling in a crust and bake it till the crust is brown. That or put in a greased pan, cover with a struesel topping and bake for an apple crisp.

I cut my apples by hand for the pie filling. The apple corer/slicer is too thin of slices for me. If I had an apple wedge cutter, I would use it.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

If you used the Clear Jel at 1/2 strength then you may not need any cornstarch anyway. We find the Clear Jel, even at 1/2 the amount too stiff which is why we leave it out completely and mix in 1 T cornstarch when making the pie. But It is just a matter of preference.

Otherwise it is just a matter of pouring your canned filling into the bottom crust - how much filling all depends on the size 8" or 9" and regular or deep dish - and putting on the top crust, crimp the edges, cut a couple of vents holes in the top and bake it.

Other than that there are likely 100 ways to make an apple pies. You'll find many different recipes over on the cooking forums here. Some like to pre-bake the bottom crust, some prefer to use extra filling for a thicker pie, some bake at 400 and some at 375 and some at 425.

As to the slices - that too is a matter of personal preference. Personally we like the slices that our peeler makes rather than thick chunks. They let you get much more 'apple' in the apple pie. :)

Dave

• Kathy F
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda-Lou and Dave - thanks. I'll check on the cooking forum and elsewhere to get some ideas about actually making the pies. I used the approximately 1 pint of filling that was left in a mini crisp; it was yummy!! And I didn't mind the skinny slices. But I think I'm going to do some more APF with larger slices by hand just to see which I prefer. My two apple trees still have plenty of fruit, and I'd hate to see it go to waste! :)