Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
postpunkgirl

Hoya Obsessed! Newbie Post!

postpunkgirl
12 years ago

Hello all! I purchased a variegated Hoya about three years ago, knowing nothing at all about the plant... and I didn't research it because of how well it thrived without any extra effort on my part. And then, 2 1/2 years later, my little Hoya had doubled in size and started growing weird little nodules that looked a little disturbing at first... which shortly thereafter turned into large beautiful blooms. I was ecstatic!

Thankfully in those two and half years my gardening ability and interest had grown, and I immediately started reading EVERYTHING I could on Hoyas! Now I own 5 Hoya plants (the other 4 are still babies) and I can't wait to get more!!!

And I'm so glad to have this great Hoya forum to turn to for info!

Here are a few of my babies:

Hoya carnosa variegata

Variegated Hindu Rope - Hoya compacta?

Hoya australis (Keysii)

Comments (44)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Welcome to the Hoya Forum PPG!! You have some very NICE and healthy hoyas there, beautiful blooms on your var. carnosa! You will love this forum...great members here and a fun forum as well as helful!

You will be adding to your collection very quickly once you join us,lol...(Hoya addict you will be very soon)!

Hope to see more of you...

Nancy

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, Nancy! I just figured Hoyas were like boring old ivies... What a magnificent shock I recieved when my Hoya proved me wrong! I REALLY want to get a Hoya blashernaezii next... and I've even started a few cuttings of my Carnosa!

~Sara

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum Postpunkgirl! I think many of us started the same way, not knowing anything about the huge variety of Hoyas that are out there.
    I agree with Nancy, if you keep hanging around here you will find yourself with more than a couple Hoyas.

Mike

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike! The more Hoyas the happier I'll be!!! :)

Like I said, I REALLY want to get a yellow blooming variety ASAP! I think Hoya blashernaezii is a good candidate... so we'll see if I can get my hands on one... maybe from SRQ.

So far I have:
    Hoya carnosa Krimson Queen
    Hoya compacta Hindu Rope
    Hoya australis (Keysii)
    Hoya carnosa Krinkle 8
    Hoya pubicalyx Pink Silver

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Welcome, postpunk. That photo filter you're using certainly gives a fresh look to some old favorites. I went through the same thing where I grew up believing that Hoya carnosa was just a non-flowering vine (What's that, Mike? All higher plants bloom?!! o_o)

Yes, the proper name of your Hindu rope is Hoya compacta Regalis.

I like blashernaezii a lot. It grows up a storm in high light. If you're in the market for yellow flowers in particular, there are a lot of them to choose from, and as there are a few others here with that preference, I bet you could get some good recommendations. Hoyas buottii, heuschkeliana, vanuatuensis, densifolia/cummingiana, erythrina bajo, pentaphlebia, picta, hellwigiana are all good ones.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Hello PP... Your photos are awesome..very artistic and the hoyas are gorgeous... very nice for a "newbie"... I am a newbie too!... had a similar surprise just last month when "just a green viney plant" produced a heavenly bloom!.. learned here from GG I had a Hoya carnosa... and now.. in a month I have 4 hoyas... and a wish list a yard long!... so welcome to this wonderful "family"... can't wait to see more of your pics!... Eileen

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the recommendations greedyghost!!! My fingers will be burning across the keyboard in new internet searches now, lol! And thanks for the warm welcome Eileen!

I LOVE yellow! I have tons of yellow flowers in my front garden... And I would love to fill my kitchen with them too! :)

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Welcome PP You have come to the right place to feed your new addiction.Every one on here is very helpful and will feed your need for more.LOL

Cindy

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Welcome PP. Soon you will be a Hoya Addict. Once you see one bloom, you want more. There is a lot of knowledge here on this forum. You can go back and read tons of information and see all the gorgeous blooms. Pretty soon you will have a 'want list' a mile long, like most of us.
    Happy Hoya Hunting!!!

eileen

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SO EXCITED to be an official part of the forum, Cindy! :) I have probably read a million of all y'alls comments on here! And you're right, Eileen, I WAS hooked when I saw my "unoriginal" ;) Carnosa bloom for the first time! I was in LOVE!!!

AND I just found your blog, Greedyghost! I'm a wordpresser too! I haven't gotten around to a Hoya blog yet (very SOON I hope) but I DO have plenty of my scorching hot Little Texas Garden blogs!

Here is a link that might be useful: postpunkgirl living in a material world

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Welcome to the hoya world. Nice photos too.
    sue

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sue!

• Denise
    12 years ago

Hi Sara,

And welcome to Hoyaholics Anonymous! When you start sneaking new Hoyas into your collection, we promise not to tell! Congrats on getting blooms on what looks like a 'Krimson Queen'. That's the species that got me started with the Hoya bug 35 years ago - a gift from a high school boyfriend. It's a passion that never goes away!

Denise in Omaha

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

PP... Just wanted to say...took a "quick" look at your blog!... cannot be done "quickly"... your boys... beautiful!... and.. to soothe my "addiction" and my emotions regarding all the sad news I've heard and seen today regarding Vermont's devastation from Irene.. I went to HD... and bought a hanging 8" basket... Hoya Rubra... that's what the tag said.. and it is colored the exact opposite of what my purchase of last Saturday... GG said was a Krimson Queen.. so I "think" this is a Krimson Princess (cream colored with green edges)!... and with the small Hoya Rope.. aka H. Compacta (correct me if I'm wrong).. purchased at Walmart on Saturday passed.. that makes 6!.. wow... and I haven't even dealt with the ones Joni emailed are "back in stock"... LOL Keep sharing PP!

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Greetings, PPG! You have very beautiful plants and pictures! Love that KQ picture! My regular green carnosa (nicknamed Nikki, but that's another story) is developing peduncles for the first time as well and I've had it at least the same amount of time that you have. It didn't take me long to get bit by the hoya bug either, so start making space for more new plants lol!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG you forgot to mention Hoya kenejiana and it's close relatives. I love yellow blooms but for some unknown reason I still don't have Hoya kenejiana myself. I guess my Hoya ischnopus and Sp IML 0453 are good enough substitutes.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya kenejiana at Hoyor

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow GG and Mike! Love the foliage of hellwigiana, the bright flowers of densifolia/cummingiana, and the fuzzy flowers of kenejiana! I'm adding them to THE LIST! Along with the non-yellow hoya cinnamomifolia, elliptica and archboldiana! ;)

Glad you weathered the storm Eileen! And thank you, my boys are my WORLD! We actually had some friends that literally moved into their new house in NC the Friday before the storm. So sad.

Thank you for the welcome to H-holics-A Denise! ;)

And thanks, Brad-aka-moonwolf! I can't stop taking pictures of my Krimson Queen... I just LOVE her.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Postpunk.

You have a great blog and I can't wait to dig further. I have to agree with Eileen that your kids are above way cuter than average and you take great photos of all subjects. I have another completely OT blog here, but it's really different. More ranty.

If you're interested in archboldiana, maybe one day you might set your trap for the imperialis Palawan. I don't know if anyone here grows this and can testify to whether it blooms yellow for them. I've always wondered what the frequency is of it producing these yellow blooms. Probably pretty seldom from the language TG uses. Still it's a pretty daydream.

Source: TG

/Eileen.

Congratulations on the Krimson Princess! Watch this one as it will throw reverted pure green vines that you need to snip and root in a seperate pot if you want to keep the variegation. (KQ doesn't have this tendency, but it will throw the all white vines instead.)

/Mike.

Too right about kenejiana! I really like this one - actually all the leaves in this group with their hard shiny slightly rumpled quality. Kenejiana is nice b/c it is smaller-leafed and more angular, but I like them all. Does Montana fall into this group?

• marco
    12 years ago

Hi and welcome, PPG. I am quite new here also but have been reading this forum for over a year. I have learned a whole lot of tips from the fine people here that have helped me greatly with my ever growing hoya collection.

I love your blog and from there, I stumbled onto GG's as well. You are interesting and wonderful women.

As for Moonwolf, well, I will let him tell you how he names his hoyas but I stole a page from his book and started giving my hoyas names, too, only I use rock n roll songs or album titles.

poseidon

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

PPG I am digging the photos on your blog, love the one of the two fruit tree blossoms in the set with the trees.

GG yes Hoya montana and dischorensis go right along with kenejiana.
    My new favorite for yellow blooms in my collection is this Hoya from the island of Sulawesi.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

C u t e! I like that one a lot! Yeah, I was thinking about recommending a

but then I thought maybe such a tiny bloom was too geeky at this point. It took me a while to get into the bitty blooms and now I can't stop.

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hahaha... y'all are hilarious. I'm not into the bitty blooms yet GG, faux sho lol! And holy cats woman... you're a beer-y, too?! I officially love you.

Thank you poseidon! I want to hear your Rock n Roll names immediately! :)

Prunus mexicana is the tree, Mike... All over the place in TX... sooo pretty in the spring... nasty messy after that.

• marco
    12 years ago

PPG, I had named all but one, my first ever hoya, a plain ole carnosa. Then, the proverbial light bulb went off in my head and you were its inspiration, well, mainly you. I was born and raised there, so . . . .

cv.Mathilde - - - - - - Fernando
    bella ver. - - - - - -- Bella Donna
    Krimson Princess - - Cinderella
    Krimson Queen - - - - Courtney
    Krimson Queen - - - - Schizoid
    Multiflora - - - - - - - - Starz
    Hindu Rope - - - - - Lemmonhead
    Carnosa - - - - - - - Bosstone

The last 2 are also in reference to Boston, my hometown.
    King Krimson: Court of the Krimson King, say no more
    Bella Donna: in reference to the Stevie Nicks album
    Fernando: Nope, aint tellin', it's embarrassing

Beer Girls ? Wow, you guys really rock !

poseidon

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

PPG, she looks great! Don't you just love the fragrance? It's been a long time since I've smelled a carnosa in bloom (my home-ec teacher's) and I'm looking forward to it again soon!

Thanks, poseidon! Well, I get names from characters from my favorite movies, TV shows, video games (GG knows this) and musicals. However, Nikki got her name from my best friend who died in a car accident the summer before senior year in high school. So she's my most sentimental plant! As for my other plants, see if any of these names ring a bell (some of these I have decided on literally right now lol):

Mindorensis-Jem (growing a new vine!)
    Black Dragon-Griever, Fenrir, Saturn AKA Hotaru, or Ryuu (haven't decided lol)
    Fungii-Tootsie
    Obovata-Jupiter AKA Makoto (Mako for shorter)
    Kerrii (soon will be here!)-Venus AKA Minako
    Hanging basket of KQ and KP-Columbia (KP) and Magenta (KQ)

Hmm, I'm going to have to write these down again and I'll post it here later. I also name them after singers and other celebrities that I like (trying to find one to call Dottie at the moment lol).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• marco
    12 years ago

Moonwolf, Dottie who ?

poseidon

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love 'em poseidon/moonwolf!! My mom named me after Stevie's Sara... my black cat's name is Bruce (as in Bruce-Lee-Kitty) and I'm very seriously considering naming my new pubicalyx Pink Silver either Meddle... or Fearless... after one of MY favorite bands/albums. :)

LOVE Bosstone, too!

"You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel. So long, Dott." ;)

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Poseidon, it is none other than a queen of country music, which this year will be 20 years since she died, the lovely, sassy Dottie West. She is one of my very favorite artists and I have lots of her records...yes I said records. Then again, she's an inspiration to me. She was beautiful on the inside and out. Here she is singing (lip synching) to her number one hit, "A Lesson In Leavin'". Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Dottie Singing A Lesson In Leavin'

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hi postpunkgirl,

Congrats on a nice, clean hobby of growing hoyas!

You'll need to get Lacunosa Tove, or just H. Lacunosa. You'll love the sweet smell of the blooms.

I also recommend H. Shepherdii and H. Serpens, both cool growers.

TammyPie

• marco
    12 years ago

I thought so, cool ! "Country Sunshine" is on my 'playlist' when I am giving my hoyas attention or when playing games on the comp.

Excellent taste, everyone!

poseidon

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tammypie! I actually picked up a bitty-bloomer thinking of greedyghost today at Lowes... And it's lacunosa! But now I'm worried about how to quarantine it... It looks a little under cared for and over watered. What should I do???

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tammypie! I actually picked up a bitty-bloomer thinking of greedyghost today at Lowes... And it's lacunosa! But now I'm worried about how to quarantine it... It looks a little under cared for and over watered. What should I do???

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

If your lacanosa starts to look really unwell it might be best to start cuttings. Often times an over watered plant will loose it's roots and then decline fast. This is a Hoya that can go downhill quite fast if it's not happy. Just how bad does your new plant look? Any yellow or wrinkled or soft looking leaves?

Mike

• tammypie
    12 years ago

My Hoya Lacunosa Tove has been replanted in a larger pot and the long vines wrapped around a bamboo trellis. I notice the new dark wine colored leaves but now she has stopped growing - and blooming. I keep her in the same window she's always been in. I love this hoya.

Should I keep her more dry or keep moist?

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, I found a sunny window away from the rest of my plants, to keep her in for awhile. The leaves look much darker than all the lacunosa pictures I've been looking at... maybe it's var. pallidiflora?? The wrinkling on the leaves looks more like bracts... but I'm not sure.

Tammypie makes a good point. I'm thinking the 8 and 6in ceramic pots I bought on clearance to put my australis and Krinkle8 in were a bad idea. Do y'all think they will grow into them?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Your lacanosa could be one of the introductions from Herman Engelmann Greenhouses for their Exotic Angle line. There were a few new introductions a while back including Hoya lacanosa 'Ruby Sue', Hoya lacanosa 'Royal Flush' and if your plant has dark leaves it's more than likely one of these, probably 'Ruby Sue'.
    Hoya lacanosa is names for the little dips and ridges on it's leaves so those are normal. I would just make sure to let your new plant dry a little before you water again to make sure to roots are not going to rot and just keep an eye on it for now. If this Hoya is not doing well you will know in a hurry.
    You can use clay pots for some Hoyas that really like to dry out but I would not use one for Hoya lacanosa. I grow a few species that have huge succulent leaves in clay, species that naturally endure a dry season and can take having dry roots. Still during the summer this means watering often as clay pots dry quickly. If you have glazed pots you can use those just not the natural unglazed pots.
    I know some others use clay pots so I will let them speak up as well.

Mike

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike! It must be Ruby Sue... it was an 'exotic angel' and it looks like the pictures online. YAY!

My pots are ceramic glazed... but now I'm worried that the 8 inch is too roomy for a Hoyas liking.

Cross your fingers for my little Ruby Sue! :)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

An 8 in. pot is awful big for a new plant. If it is a lot of little cuttings that have newly rooted that will be too much room and it won't be able to absorb the water fast enough to dry out the soil. Keep an eye out for yellowing and drooping leaves. If it continues downhill, maybe pot back down with lots of drainage material in the bottom.
    One of the things about hoyas is that they like to stay in smallish pots for a long time. Most that is. Some of them just get so big you Have to do something or you must water all the time. Ha

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My australis and Krinkle 8 are in the larger pots. They are decent sized plants but still pretty young... I think I'm going to move them. :( Hopefully my over-mothering doesn't tick them off too much.

• peanut01
    12 years ago

PPG - Thanks for joining and sharing. Don't you love wordpress!!! I find it so easy to use and I think most sites that are setup using wordpress look better than most others.

In regards to growing hoyas, I have not had any luck using glazed ceramic pots. You'll notice that water is more retentive in these pots versus unglazed pots. I used plastic for most my hoyas. I grow a few of my hoyas in terra cotta(which has worked well for Pachyclada, Rigida, and Imperialis). Others will place their plastic pots in the glazed ceramic pots for aesthetics.

'Ruby Sue' has new growth that appears reddish in color. The new growth eventually fades to green over time. When I moved my 'Ruby Sue' outdoors for the spring/summer, it was hard to distinguish 'Ruby Sue' and Lacunosa. You will love the fragrance and the plant though.

The next hoya that I would like you to pick up is DS-70. Commonly sold as EA Bilobata. It is an easy to grow small leaved hoya with incredible fragrance. Also great leaf tints when grown in the sun. I've been meaning to share a picture of mine with it's summer coloration.

Well anyway welcome again and happy growing.

-David

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My carnosa is in a glazed pot... but it's 6 inches at most, and it's a large plant! I might stick with the plastic pot idea

DS-70 is gorgeous! And Hoya bilobata has BEAUTIFUL flowers and foliage! Didn't think it was possible to become addicted to the "bitty bloomers" in just a day! Ha! I want EA-curtisii too!

You're right about wordpress... I used to have a blogspot, and it started getting riddled with spam... and it lacked quite a bit of features that wordpress provided. And switching was incredibly easy... wordpress actually has a "magic button" to transfer all archived blogs over to the new site.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I am going to warn you that lacunosa in my experience WILL sulk after being repotted. If you can weather that patch out, then it will recover and be happy again. Every time I have repotted a lacunosa, I got some leaf drop plus yellowing leaves. One thing you could do as a backup is to start a few cuttings on the side. That way, if it hates being repotted too much, you still have some. And if it's just fine, you have some extra plants, to add back to the mother pot, or trade for new hoyas.

Tammy, my lacunosas prefer to stay moist. The speckled one (Sno Caps?) will tolerate going slightly dry but my regular one doesn't care to be dry at all.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The only time I have lost a Hoya lacanosa was when I decided to pot mine up a size and from clay back to plastic. That plant went from beautiful and lush with blooms galore to dead in about a week. I took cuttings and they are the only reason I still have that original lacanosa.

Mike

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Ok this is completely off topic for the Hoya forum but I just wanted to ask PPG if she is into Gesneriads? Take a look at the link and if you are not a Gesneriad lover you very well might be. A yellow lipstick plant is hard to ignore, it even has yellow calyxes!

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeschyanthua flavidus

• postpunkgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, it's gorgeous!!! The only other flowering indoor plant I've had was a cyclamen. I really only have 3 years experience with ANY type of plants! But I'm hopelessly addicted now! My latest project is ice plant, hoya, lady banks rose, and coral honeysuckle propagation... and my lacunosa cuttings that I put in water have ALREADY started roots. I'm trying water and soil propagation with Ruby Sue. EXCITING STUFF.

Sponsored