Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Hoya loheri mount

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I thought I would add an update on my Hoya loheri mount. A while back I decided that the mount was too hard to keep moist so I added a sphagnum moss pad to the back of the mount and held it in place with some left over capillary matting and staples. The mount is cork bark with a hole cut through using a whole saw bit, the Hoya was originally planted in the hole with some sphagnum moss.

Here is the mount soon after adding the Hoya.

Here is the mount after some more growth. The new vines are kinda cramped due to a Brassavola orchid that hangs close to this Hoya but hopefully they will continue to grow and produce some peduncles soon.

Is anyone else growing any mounted Hoyas that they would like to share? I have a few more in my grow case but they are still small.

Here is the case which is mainly filled with orchids.

Mike

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Looks good Mike.
    I have a watermelon dischidia mounted, it's hanging on a tree but some started to grow on the tree.

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike your set up looks awesome. Ive always wanted to try to mount a few of my Hoyas, but I just can't seem so get it right.
    Jan, You're so lucky to live in a climate that you're able to leave your Hoyas outside to go native.

Cindy

• Denise
    13 years ago

Mike, nice setup - so organized! I've never been able to grow any mounted, but I love the look.

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan your Dischidia has done very well, might have to try mine mounted but I don't have a lot of space for mounted plants anymore.

Thanks Denise. Most of the mounts are bigger orchids and they hand out with the other plants and get misted at least once a day. The growing case has more sensitive orchids that like a lot of moisture and they get watered every two days even though they would be better off watered every day. Having too many mounts really takes up time with the constant watering but I like the way they look.

I am getting ready to go on a vacation to Halifax and will be leaving the plants for eight days, the mounts always suffer so I have to have someone come by and spray them or I have to rig up some contraption to keep things from drying out.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I grow curtisii on a mount. I think I've posted pics of it before.

And the terrarium where it lives:

Your loheri looks really happy! It's a pretty little plant. I've never done a mount by drilling a hole in it before. I just put a pad of sphag on cork, and anchor it down with fishing line. When the roots attach to the mount, the fishing line can go.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the first mount that I have drilled, an experiment to help keep the mount wet longer. I got the idea after seeing a photo of a Rhyncholaelia digbyana grown this way on a horizontal cork raft, that plant got an AOS award and was huge! The orchid was started in a clay pot and then the pot was set into the hole drilled out of the cork and the plant allowed to roam over the cork. I still have to water my Hoya mount every day or two but the moss pad on the back and the hole through the mount has made a huge difference in the growth of the Hoya.

Mike

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I think I might like to try a mount. Where can I go to learn more?

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tigerdawn mounted plants are not hard to grow as long as you pay close attention to moisture levels and humidity. Humidity is important but not critical, many of my mounted plant are out in the open but the ones that really need high humidity are kept in my growing case. Hoyas with thick waxy leaves can do just fine out in the open on a mount. Choosing a mount is as easy as finding a piece of cork or treefern at a pet store in the reptile section or from an orchid supply/greenhouse.
    Choosing a plant that will stay fairly small is a good idea and the pendant growing species will be easier to accomidate on a mount than a climber.
    Check out the Stemma Journal site for an issue on Dischidia because Antone from Dischidia.com wrote an article about mounting plants. I can't remember the issue and am not at home to check but it is one of the earlier ones.
    Starting a cutting in moss and then transfering it to a mount with an underlying moss pad is the best method unless you can offer high humidity, then you can root the cutting right on the mount.

Mike

• battu_co
    13 years ago

What a nice collection of mounted hoyas!!
    I thought i'd share mine.
    Here it is.

I am not sure which kind is this though.

battu

• rennfl
    13 years ago

It really looks lovely. I am starting some cuttings now of some of my plants, and I think I'll try and mount one of them. As a good percentage of the other plants I grow are mounted, it should fit right in.

• User
    13 years ago

For anyone trying a first time for this, I'd suggest using H. curtisii, 'cause it grows well onto a mount w/ those aerial roots it has.

Before I thought better of this, I started some Curtisii on a mount. It was how I'd originally seen it grown at what was then Rainbow Gardens (if memory serves, w/ Bob). That's how he grew it so I tried it too. I didn't even use moss, I just wound some bits around the bark & affixed it w/ sewing thread (some poly/cotton, so it wouldn't rot through).

Worked out well, except I hadn't realized when starting that it'd require daily watering (or at least every other day), a hike to the sink, time to drip & then maybe a spray on days it didn't get to the sink.

Messy dripping all over the floor. Be smarter than I was, consider that BEFORE you make the mounting not after -- duhhh Karen! Kept it this way for a year, was very nice. Who knows, now you've got me thinking to try it again!

Thanks for the lovely pix & inspiration to Mike, Jan1, Quinn (yeah, Curtissi looks great like that!) & Battu.

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Well I just picked up a curtisii from Lowes and I have a neat piece of driftwood that it would look nice on. I even have a little fish tank I could put it in for humidity. I think I just found a weekend project!