Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimidi_gw

My Biggest Surprise Flower this Year.....

mimidi
18 years ago

......has been zinnias. I never would plant them. Hated them. A friend kept teasing me about them so I planted some seed. Not only have the hummingbirds and butterflies loved them but everyone who has seen them blooming. That includes me. They have really added so much to my yard "garden".

I have learned that you do not have to have the exotic. Something as simple as a package of zennia seeds will work too.

Comments (13)

• catnappurr
    18 years ago

Wow! That's great to know. I'm going to plant some next year! :)

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Mimidi now that you mention it I remember when I was growing up we had zinnias and the hummers used them I thought It must of been another flower because no one ever mentions them But now that you have seen hummers use them I know I wasn't imagining it. Sarah

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No you weren't. I have been really tickled with the zinnias. As they re-seed themselves I won't have to buy seeds next year. Just transplant the little plants that come up in the spring.

Another annual that has outdone itself for me this year has been cleome. I have had pink, while, purple, and rose colored. Today I took dried seed pods and sprinkled the seeds in areas none were growing. I will have more next year.

Hear I am already getting ready for another hummingbird season. I can't wait.

• standard65
    18 years ago

I have some red ones and some purple ones scattered around the beds. they flop over, but they do pretty good leaning on some other kind of plant nearby. I saw a hummer go to a red one once, mimidi, but the purples are in a spot that I can't see from the window. I'll have to keep an eye on them.
    here's a purple one.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Wow. Do you all have a mildew resistant variety recommendations? My sisters and I have failed for years to grow any as they were usually toast by the time they bloomed. We ultimately gave up. :-\

• wardw
    18 years ago

They feed at our zinnias every day. We've never been sure how much nectar they get from them, but they do visit. Zinnias are so easy and colorful. I like to mix them among all those small flowered salvias and agastaches because they make great visual statements, but the kicker is they are decent and well behaved wildlife plants.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beautiful Standard. Mine are planted among other flowers and they get support from them.

I have not noticed mildew on mine. I have always had trouble with the mildew on my phlox but thanks to the garden forums I have found just the right mix for me. I use a cup of lowfat milk, 3 tablespoons of baking soda and then fill up my 2 gallon sprayer. The recipe has make me love my phlox more this year. Jenny I am sure it could help you with zinnias. I also spray it on everything else. Expecially my Jacob Cline beebalm as I have read that it can get mildew real bad.

• catnappurr
    18 years ago

What a beautiful picture Mimidi! :) I read where us "cat" ladies are getting you confused, so from now on I'm going to use my first name: Marcy! :) Thanks for the mildew recipe also!

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh you didn't have to change you name. I just need to adjust my glasses from time to time. That recipe will work. I met this doctor of horticutlure and was talking to him about this recipe. According to him there is something in the baking soda that takes care of the mildew. The milk makes it stick. I wonder why the low fat milk.

Wish I could take credit of the beautiful zinnia but Standard made that one.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Thanks for the recipe mimidi. Jacob Cline is supposed to be more resistant than other monardas but PM has now taken over mine rather quickly. :-( I've sprayed with baking soda and water and it has helped some but the weather just isn't conducive at the moment. Now my peonies are dusting up and they've managed to hold off this long against all odds but are now losing the battle. :-\ Ahh well...

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jenny when I first started spraying I sprayed about every three days and then after a couple of weeks every week. I don't know if spraying every few days helped or not but it sure didn't hurt.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I was thinking that too... I am going to have to be a little more diligent. It's just that it's been so muggy out there lately that I only spend a minimum amount of time outside before running back inside to the A/C!

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Thanks for the recipe mimidi, I am using it on my trumpet vine that's been attacked by some sort of fungus because of all the rain and humidity we have had the past three years It was like this in 1996 too I remember more rain than ever before and killer hurricanes in july. Sarah

Sponsored
More Discussions