Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gymell_mn

Strange hummingbird behavior?

gymell
18 years ago

Last week at work I found a dead hummingbird outside near a door. The building is all glass so I guess it must have flown into the window. I buried it next to a nearby pond. So today I'm leaving the office, and there's a live hummingbird sitting on the sidewalk right outside a main door. I went over to it and it just sat there. I guessed that it might have hit the window and was dazed, but other possibilities would be that it's sick/starving or perhaps a fledgling just hanging out in a dangerous spot (although I'd think it's a bit late in the season here in MN for that.) Afraid it might get stepped on, I picked it up and it was completely docile, maybe dazed. I carried over by the pond out of traffic, where there are some flowers and trees. It sat in my hand for about 5 minutes, stuck its tongue out a few times, chirped a little and then took off to land on a low treebranch. It seemed more alert by that point, just sitting there, so I left. I just wonder what's going on with these hummingbirds, seems strange that I would find two of them in less than a week. Thoughts, anyone?

Comments (5)

• gymell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ugh, I see what people mean by links being inserted in the posts. Please note that I do not encourage or endorse anyone visiting such links in my post!

• texaspuddyprint
    18 years ago

Yes, am assuming the hummie hit a window.

One of my neighbors has a row of windows on his garage door and they reflect the trees and sky too well - birds are always banging into them. I've been out working in my yard and have heard the crash of bird hitting his garage. The last one was a dove that flopped over dazed but got up and flew away before I could cross the street to check it out.

I finally convinced him to put up faux stained glass window film on them so the birds wouldn't fly into them.

I don't guess an office complex would do that. Tricky things those big office windows with those mirror like windows.

~ Cat

DISCLAIMER: I hate those stupid text links that are showing up on our postings. Blame the village idiots!

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

I don't know what the behavior means except it must be a collision with the window. Sarah

• gymell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess the main reason I asked was that I wanted to make sure I didn't move a fledgling away from its parents. I haven't seen any other type of bird in that condition there so I thought it was strange to see the two hummingbirds. Maybe there's something with the color of the glass that is particular to hummingbird vision. Anyway, she was a cute little thing and I felt priviledged to get to hold her and see her take off (wish I would have had my camera!) Hope she makes it and has a good life.

p.s. Please don't visit any links in this post, I didn't put them there.

• tera_cunningham_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

the bird could have also been in a state called tophor- i hope the bird that was buried was truly dead and not in a state of tophor-they do appear dead in this state... last year a bird was just sitting on a feeder outside my door- when it did not fly away when i opened the door i was concerned and then i pet it and it still did not respond. at one point it was upside down, hanging like a bat, and fell to the ground. i picked it up and took it to a safe spot and it did start to move about 4 hours later and did fly away. i looked it up and found that this does happen sometimes, it is a state similar to hybernation.