Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Hummers are still here,,,, so are the males

hummersteve
16 years ago

I usually see between 10-15 hummers every morning early, today was 10. I thought you might get a kick out of these shots.

One at every feeder plus 2

{{gwi:998525}}

the quiet before the storm

{{gwi:998526}}

this photo tells it all, the sunrise, the male guarding his fenced in feeder, and the hummers in the tree.

{{gwi:998528}}

Comments (9)

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

Great shots, hummersteve!! I've missed your reports for the last few days...thought maybe you got washed away.

I don't think I have any migrators yet, must be too hot for them (100 again yesterday). I've been taking census photos every other day at dawn. The number of birds has remained constant as well as the sugar water consumption. Still lots of adult males, too. Here are two shots taken 9 days apart - not much difference...

8/19

8/28
    {{gwi:998529}}

• hummer201
    16 years ago

We still have males also.They are usually gone by the biddle of August.Really nice pictures.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys, no Im still here and so are the hummers 10-15 hummers most every morning so far and my hummers are usually gone well before sept also. I usually have two or three males , I notice today only one. Has cooled down here only 81 degrees today and yesterday.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

WOW I have never seen so many hummers in one spot! Steve we still have males up here in West Michigan, I'll give ya a holler when they head your way, pump up the juice for em ok! ;D

• yardenman
    16 years ago

Great pictures, Steve and Ctnchpr! I am so used to my hummers fighting over the feeders that seeing so many at peace is just astonishing!

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

yardenman,
    Here's a census photo from thursday morning, and as you can see, some rain fell during the night. Being wet and hungry probably made them cooperative.

{{gwi:998530}}

hummersteve,
    This is the count from this morning. Slightly higher numbers, but not enough to tell if any migrators were mixed in.

{{gwi:998531}}

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

OH dear, this morning I am missing our resident Male :( Steve I believe he is on his way. He is the one that is green with a red throat! LOL feed him well for me! ;) Such a sad time of year as I notice my spring/summer birds leaving one by one. They will be back in about 8 months or so. Little birdie prayers for a safe journey!

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

All awesome shots!...thanks for sharing!
    Konrad

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ctnchpr---- thanks for adding your shots to this post, great. Thanks for everyone good complements. Im still having between 10-15 here but these guys are getting fat, less feeding more guarding and I had 4 adult males this morning the most Ive had. By the way Ive uped the dosage.

Lisa-- sorry to here your guys have left , but you may get more pass thru from those north of you, at least I hope so.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions