Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Homemade bee traps - foofna

penny1947
18 years ago

Foofna,

You asked how I made my bee traps so here goes.....

I use pop bottles but any plastic bottle would probably work just fine.

THese are very primitive and not necessarily attractive but they do work and they are free if you use old recyclable bottles.

Method #1

Take a pop bottle standing upright and make several small crossed slits around the side of the bottle about midway in the form of an X. My slits were only about a half inch long. Then push those triangular cuts inward just enough to create a small opening where the bees, yellowjackets can enter the bottle but the part you have pushed inward will make it difficult for them to be able to exit. Unscrew the cap and add sugar water keeping it below the holes that you made. i use the nectar from my feederz when I am changing it out. Put the cap back on and Then just use a piece of wire or string around the neck of the bottle to hang it or set it on a fence post etc.

Method #2

Using a pop bottle cut it in two about 1/3 of the way down from the neck. Remove the cap and Put the top part down into the bottom like a funnel. Pour sugar water down into the bottle through the funnel. I put 2 holes along the cut edges at the top where the two sections fit together to put a piece of wire through to hang it up but you could just set it on a post or out of the way place as well. The yellowjackets will go down into the funnel opening to reach the nectar.

I hope that I have explained these methods well ehough.

I did use both methods when we were camping to keep the yellow jackets away from our tcampsite and both methods worked like a charm. In 5 days I caught well over 50 yellow jackets....over a dozen the first afternoon after I hung the first one.

They will fly around in there for a day or two but they will eventually drown in the nectar. If you need to add more nectar, the funnel method is easier. with method #1 you will have to wait for the ones in there to die before taking the cap off to pour more sugar water in as they tend to fly to the top of the bottle.

Penny

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions