Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannond_gw

Cranberry Ketchup

cannond
11 years ago

Has anyone tried Fancy Pantry's Cranberry Ketchup? Please let me know if you liked it.

Any other cranberry recipes for canning you're enamored of?

Cranberries are on sale, so now's the time to experiment.

Deborah

Comments (9)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I only made it once and it's been a while, but we did enjoy it.

Fortunately, I made some notes at the time and posted at another canning forum. Here's what I said:

I ran it through a food mill so it is smooth. The cider vinegar gives it a real zing. I didn't want to over-sugar because the whole point is to use it with blander meats like turkey and pork. I cut back on the spices and was very satisfied with the result. And I didn't cook it down as far as I could; I pulled back a little so it's a bit thinner instead of like apple butter but also has more assertive fresher cranberry taste and will work nicely as a sauce/baste or maybe a dollop on a rich cheese or cream cheese.

My additional note is that even though I didn't cook it down as far it still set up beautifully as cranberries are high-pectin, similar to a seedless jam as I'd milled the mixture. Very smooth. It mellowed with time. I don't remember specifically how much I cut back on the spices but I know it was the right choice if you want the cranberry flavor to predominate, especially after storage. This is terrific with turkey.

One thing I don't remember is whether I used all that corn syrup. I might have subbed mildhoney, using less of course.

Carol

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I'll go light on the spices. Corn syrup, for all its bad press, will be used in this batch. My daugher is allergic to everything bee. No honey. Sad.

Deborah

• malna
    11 years ago

My favorite canning recipe for cranberries is cranberry chutney. I started with KatieC's recipe recipe and tweaked it a bit.

It's great with turkey, chicken, pork and on a cheese plate, too.

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Malna, I'm making this tonight! It never occured to me that cranberries might make a good chutney. Thanks.
    Deborah

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just found a cranberry salsa recipe on here, but it uses honey. Can I substitute sugar for honey in it? What would be the ratio?

Deborah

• malna
    11 years ago

Hm, I always go the other way (use honey instead of sugar) but when I do, I cut the honey back by about at least 3/4 of the amount of sugar called for and usually cut back some liquid, too, if it might make a difference in a recipe like baked goods.

I don't know what exact recipe you found (GW Search didn't turn up anything useful for me). Maybe post it with all the other ingredients, because I think it depends on the entire recipe what ratio would work?

Hope you like the chutney as much as we do!

• readinglady
    11 years ago

You can sub sugar but it will take more sugar by volume than honey to achieve the same degree of sweetness.

Carol

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the recipe, which was in a thread calle Cranberry Jalapeno Jam:

How about this "Cranberry Salsa" from NCHFP?
    Spicy Cranberry Salsa

* 6 cups chopped red onion
    * 4 finely chopped large Serrano peppers*
    * 1 1/2 cups water
    * 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar (5%)
    * 1 tablespoon canning salt
    * 1 1/3 cups sugar
    * 6 tablespoons clover honey
    * 12 cups (2 3/4 pounds) rinsed, fresh whole cranberries

Should I use corn syrup in place of the honey, or just additional sugar?

Deborah

• readinglady
    11 years ago

You can use either. Honey has a bit of water in it, so sugar will yield a slightly drier mixture. But here the amount is so minimal, it doesn't matter.

The sugar (or honey) is for flavor only and can be adjusted up or down. Corn syrup or golden syrup would also work just fine. No safety issues with any of those choices.

Carol