Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shamusomalley

Plant looks beyond dead but sprouting leaves

shamusomalley
14 years ago

I am completely new to plants. I moved into my fiances house and his mother had tons of rose bushes and hydrangea bushes. The roses seem ok but the Hydrangea bush is sad. The stems and dead an grey. The hydrangeas are dead and dried up as well. There are however tons of green leaves that are growing everywhere, the bottom and all the way up the stems. Whats going on? Is the plant dead or can it be saved. Any small step in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. His mother has passed and Id hate to dig it up if I don't have to. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

DON'T DIG IT UP! What zone are you in?? Bad winters will sometimes kill them to the ground but will grow back in one season. Also don't prune just yet either. Hydrangeas are late to emerge and dead looking sticks often come back to life. Your area of the country and your zone is very important to answer your questions better.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Let's think about this reasonably :-) If it has leaves emerging up and down the stems as you say, why would you think it is dead? Hydrangeas are (for the most part) deciduous shrubs and normally lose all their foliage each winter. They do tend to look somewhat dead when only a collection of bare sticks in the middle of winter, as do most other deciduous shrubs, but the evidence of new growth in spring with emerging buds and leaves is an indication of them coming back to 'life' for the season.

You can trim off any old, dead flowerheads to tidy up the plant - just clip off below the old flowers, just above the next set of buds or leaves you see. Otherwise, the plants sound fine to me. Any other care necessary is going to be dictated by where you are located and the type of hydrangeas they are.

• sue36
    14 years ago

What you are describing sounds like normal hydrangea behavior. The leaves all fall off in the fall and then, depending on the type and how bad your winter was, you will get growth on the stems and new growth from the crown (the base).

If you are in the north east it is still too early to trim them back. I wait until the leaves on the stems are about 1-2" and then I trim above the highest green leaf on each stem. Any stem with no greenery get trimmed out. Does that make sense?

You can clean up any dead leaves on the ground and clip off any dead flowers from last year now. I would also add a few inches of compost around the base of each plant, extended at least 18" out. You will just have to see what happens this year and then adjust next year accordingly.

• shamusomalley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You all are the best! Thank you soooo much :)I know I might have sounded ridiculous but I am clueless. I am in California, the bay area.