Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freemangreens

Bare-root Strawberry Update

freemangreens
15 years ago

The first box of about 12 from Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply arrived today. The plants were dormant and healthy. The price breakdown was $0.27 each including shipping.

If you're in a hurry, buy them at your local box store and you can do even better than that. I paid $3.34 for 15 crowns in a plastic, 1-gallon bucket from Homer.

I know what you're thinking. The reason I'm ordering from Peaceful Valley, even though the per-plant cost is slightly higher, is because they sell me "Camerosa" strawberries and Homer only has Sierra, Quinalt and occasionally some other hybrids.

The berries on these other cultivars are okay, but the Camerosa's are large and round, whereas the others are small (Quinalt) or pointy (Sierra). It's a matter of preference, but people will "BUY" a Camerosa over any other 99% of the time if given the choice. Camerosas are also sweeter, in my opinion.

My immediate goal is to have 1200 plants in fruit in about another month and a half. I grow vertically using static culture. I will be putting some pictures of my version of "The Strawberry Tree" on my Web site soon (URL in profile). That number 1200 is just a drop in the bucket, by the way; my 'end game' is to grow upwards of 100,000 plants.

Comments (3)