Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marklucas_gw

Guide to Maintain a Hydroponic Nutrient Reservoir

marklucas
11 years ago

If you could successfully maintain a âÂÂnutrient solution reservoirâ for your garden; you will see great success in a hydroponic gardening system. If you follow the given procedure; then you can effectively control the plant growth altogether. In the beginning, you should verify PPM level of water you used in system. If measurement is 200 PPM or greater; then youâÂÂll need to distill your water. Before adding the water into the system; you need to be sure about the PPM level of water is between 0-50ppm. A PPM level less than 100 is acceptable. The tap water you use, contain chemicals like chlorine; which can affect you plant. You can add the required nutrients in your reservoir.

You should measure for the pH of hydroponic system, twice in a day. The better way to adjust pH is to utilize âÂÂpH UPâ and âÂÂpH DOWNâ solutions accordingly. The effective range of pH is 6.0-6.5; but should never go higher than 7 or less than 6; doesnâÂÂt matter what youâÂÂre growing. If the levels of nutrients or fertilizer are strong, then add water and if itâÂÂs too weak then add some fertilizer. These basics tips can help getting a successful growth in a hydroponic gardening system.

Comments (7)

• grizzman
    11 years ago

Wow Lucas. That was a rather generic how to.

• ethnobotany
    11 years ago

Not sure if this is the same Lucas we are used to seeing around here. Anyways..

"You should measure for the pH of hydroponic system, twice in a day. The better way to adjust pH is to utilize âÂÂpH UPâ and âÂÂpH DOWNâ solutions accordingly. The effective range of pH is 6.0-6.5; but should never go higher than 7 or less than 6; doesnâÂÂt matter what youâÂÂre growing. If the levels of nutrients or fertilizer are strong, then add water and if itâÂÂs too weak then add some fertilizer. These basics tips can help getting a successful growth in a hydroponic gardening system."

This is sound advice. I agree with these statements.

"If measurement is 200 PPM or greater; then youâÂÂll need to distill your water. Before adding the water into the system; you need to be sure about the PPM level of water is between 0-50ppm. A PPM level less than 100 is acceptable. "

So which is it then? Is Ive had great results with tap water at ~ 175 ppm so I can agree with "The tap water you use, contain chemicals like chlorine; which can affect you plant."

What can we do about this? All you did was make a statement. I thought this was a how-to?

Just pointing out things that could make the guide easier to follow and more interesting.

Thanks for posting!

This post was edited by ethnobotany on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 13:55

• carb
    11 years ago

you can just leave the tap water outside uncovered to let the chlorine evaporate. atleast 24 hours

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Be sure your tap water does not contain Chloramine (a replacement for chlorine); it doesn't evaporate from water unless you treat it with superchlorination.

Eric

• sdgrower
    11 years ago

My water is San Diego loaded with chloramine and has an EC of 0.6 or ppm of 400+ and my tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash and greens all grow great. The water contains calcium and magnesium which the plants need as well as sodium which can be a problem if there is too much but I have not had an issue. A lot of folks are spending money on RO filters to remove the nutrients they are buying and adding back in. Most places have a water quality report available online which has info on what is in your water. Just something to think about...

• grizzman
    11 years ago

My thoughts exactly, Ethno.

• Hawaiian-Hydro
    11 years ago

honestly don't make things more difficult then they have to be really it makes hydroponics seem like you need to be a scientist to do this keep it simple stupid.