Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyinva

Need a source for photos of climbing Hydrangeas

sandyinva
17 years ago

Now that I have begun checking out up climbing hydrangeas to grow up a pine tree, I have found references online to all sorts, but am unable to find photos: There is a variety with green blue leaves, which looks really pretty ( moonlight?) one that is supposed to be just like the petiolaris, but with a variegated leaf, and not as large, a pink one, etc.

Can someone recommend a book or catalogue that is comperehensive enough to show more than just one or two varieties?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

There are really not all that many climbing hydrangeas - you may be confusing some other, hydrangea-like vines as part of the group.

Hydrangea anomala var. petiolaris is the most common - a vigorous vine, slow to establish, that offers wide lacecap panicles of white flowers in early summer (mine is starting its bloom cycle now). There is a small leafed version of this, 'Tiliifolia' that looks exactly the same, except for smaller leaves and a variegated form, 'Miranda', that offers a creamy edge to the foliage. Neither of these is as common or as vigorous as the standard. There are also a couple of species of evergreen climbing hydrangeas, H. seemanii and integrifolia. Except for leaf shape (more pointed) and reduced hardiness, these will offer a similar growth and flowering habit but remain evergreen.

Related but not true hydrangeas are Schizophragma, often referred to as Japanese climbing hydrangea. There is a pale pink flowered version (S. hydrangeoides 'Rosea') and one with silver veining on the foliage (S. hydrangeoides 'Moonlight').

A Google image search under any of the botanical names should produce photos but there is not a huge amount to distinguish one from the other, at least in photos. I know of no other single source that would display them all.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Gardengal,

Yes, those are the ones I have found reference to as well. Have you seen any of these? I do not necessarily need one that will grow as thick and profuse as the petiolaris. Ht of 20 - 30 feet would be fine. I think I prefer the blossoms of the standard to the schizophragma, although I like the contrast in the Schizophragma Moonlight. Have you seen the Tiliafolia in bloom?

Sandy

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I sell them all :-) Flowers are relatively similar in appearance for any of them - all lacecaps with not too many sterile florets. Bloom times will be different, with petiolaris blooming earlier than the schizophragmas. Tiliifolia is slower to bloom than petiolaris and will never be as abundant a flowerer.

• ego45
    17 years ago

I wrote a somewhat lenghty post comparing petiolaris and schizopragma earlier in a day, but unknown animal (glitch in a programm?) ate it.
    In short, if I'd knew about sch. 'Moonlight' existence before, I'd not planted petiolaris.
    Two thumbs up for that plant!
    Reddish-orange new growth slowly fading to very pleasant light green with silver sheen in it. Leaves are heart shaped and at night, when they got hit by the moonlight they glow in a dark.
    It produced first flower for me this year (third year in a ground) and though it's probably slower grower than petiolaris it's still grew good 4' for the two previous seasons from 1G single one foot tall stick.
    I'll try to post pictures later in a week.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    17 years ago

and then there's th eastern US native Decumaria barbara - Wood vamp - that is sometimes referred to as climbing hydrangea.

Google will produce both text and images

• ego45
    17 years ago

Some pictures of schizopragma, as promised.

New leaves and stems are orangish-red,

Leaves are heart shaped and have a silver sheen between the veins,

Overall appearance is very similar to petiolaris, but whole plant leave much lighter impression than dark leaved counterpart,

Can't post a night pictures, but it really glows in a moonlight.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am sold! I saw some young moonlight schizophragma's last week but I hestitated b/c coloring did not appear right. New growth was a pale green, so I am glad I waited. How close to the tree did you plant it?

Sandy

• gardenmusic
    17 years ago

I have 2 of the Japanese climbing hydrangeas that I want to move to different locations. I want to give them trees to climb instead of the wood siding on the house. I didn't realize at the time, their method climbing. They are 2 tears old and are about 4 ft high. The question is when should I move them. I am not worried about blooms if I move them now.

• ego45
    17 years ago

They could be moved any time of the year for as long as you are able to dig the soil AND provide adequate moisture to the roots. Mulching the root zone is advisible at any time of the year in any zone.