Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_304

New gardener, wanting advice about deadheading/ pruning

Dave_304
10 years ago

Hey guys. I'm Dave and this is my first post! I'm 25 and recently became a homeowner in November. Since things started "warming" up, around April, I've been out in the yard digging, planting, staring at bald spots and wondering what to do about them. I have some experience in gardening/ landscaping from being raised by my mom. But regrettably I don't know enough of the specifics, so I'm here.

My question for today is on Hydrangeas. I bought one from Walmart (I know, I'm a bad man) and planted it a little over a month ago. I have the tag in the basement at home, but I'm at work now - so I can't recall if it's Forever & Ever or Endless Summer. It is pink though. It is in the very lower-left corner in the picture. The picture was taken about 1 week after planting. (Also in picture, attempting to grow phlox from a root - they are slowly taking. I hope in a few years they will drape down the retaining wall!)

Now, since the Hydrangea has been in the ground for over a month and I've done some research since then, I feel that I may need to move it. It's in the sunniest spot in my yard. (The sun rises to the left of the picture, and appears over the hill by 8am or so, then goes above the house and sets to the right of the picture, pouring sunlight on the position for almost the whole day) I planted it there because the tag said it needed full light. It is surviving, and I keep it well hydrated, but it wilts like a sonofagun! Every day I come home from work around 4 and it is wilted and withered, but by morning as I'm leaving - it looks normal. So, I think I need to replant it somewhere where it maybe only gets that morning-afternoon sun, like in front of the house.

But until then, I want to ask about deadheading/ pruning. In the picture, there is about 1 bloom. Now, there are about 3-4 and more starting to grow. This is in spite of all the sun and wilting, so I guess it is thriving? But some of the flowers are dying and turning brown, while other buds are forming. Should I cut off the dead ones? I feel like I should, but I don't know where to clip. Close to the flower, lower on the stem, above or below leaves? I don't know if it's the right time to deadhead even. Some resources say to cut off flowers for more growth, others say leave alone and only cut back in the fall. I'm new to this and sick of contradictions and just want to make sure I'm doing all that I can to get the best results from my efforts!

Thank you in advance for the potential feedback. I hope to become a regular on these forums and learn from all your experiences. Next up I have some questions on phlox, hostas, and peonies!

Comments (5)