Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kernul

Big trees in hydro

kernul
17 years ago

Hi folks;

I dont have any experience with hydro, but have been thinking about it for a while now. so after reading about it on the internet and going through a book, i'm going to jump in with a "bubbler system" (roots submerged in nutrient, air pumped in to supply oxygen) simply because its a neat little stand-alone system and i can put it out on the balcony as well if i need to.

But the plants I've choosen aren't very hydro-friendly, or maybe nobody has tried it. I got seeds for:

Chinese elm. Banyan tree. English Oak. Giant redwood. Coastal redwood. Dwarf Pine. and Trident maple.

It'll be an experiment, if nothing else...somehow veggies don't excite me at all.

I live in London, and since its quite warm i can have them out on the balcony so i'm not thinking of getting lights at the moment. I have lived in a tropical country all my life, and only just moved to the UK so i have no experience with decidious trees anyway. Am I headed for disaster? Should I get a flood & drain system? Start them off under lights to begin with?

Most of them have extensive stratification periods, so i might have some time to go before anything happens.

Anybody have an experience with any kind of trees in hydro? I'm going to keep a blog, so if you're interested you can follow the developments, if any.

Any thoughts are highly appriciated. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• utsharpie
    17 years ago

well, when the trees get big youll definately need some type of support system since their roots wont be anchored in deep soil.

but yes you can grow trees in hydro.

• tomster
    17 years ago

Hi Kernul,

Try doing an internet search for "Hydroculture", this is the term for the type of hydroponics commonly used for growing sub-tropical plants and trees.

Cheers,

Tom.

• kernul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks guys...
    I'll look up hydroculture.

I was wondering if the the bubbler system would be good for plants that require a free-draining soil? wouldn't the roots always be in water, albeit with lots of air around them?

• utsharpie
    17 years ago

aeroponics would be best for those

• hank_mili
    17 years ago

Started growing a fig tree (1 ft. starter) in a 5 gal planter with lava rock media. Used the air lift drip method. After a few months it grew quite large. The figs were average tasting. Eventually I transplanted it into a much larger pot (because it got too large) in soil but the plant suffered a bit. Leaves dropped constantly. Now it needs constant moisture and heavy fertlizing just to keep it going.

• sdrawkcab
    17 years ago

what is the advantage of hydro for big trees? seems like an expensive, labor intensive waste of time. you'll have to root-prune the trees about every 6 months. i certainly wish you the best of luck, but i personally think its a silly idea.

• utsharpie
    17 years ago

some people only have concrete around and no dirt to plant in. others like the idea of easy movemnt of the trees in case of frost or whatever. others think its a hobby and hobbies do waste your time.

• sdrawkcab
    17 years ago

"some people only have concrete around and no dirt to plant in. others like the idea of easy movemnt of the trees in case of frost or whatever."

what about dirt in pots? dirt is arguable MUCH easier to move than any type of hydro system. dont get me wrong, i love hydro and have grown many different things in it but i just cant immagine worrying about what nutrient combo to use to get the best yeild of acorns or pine cones. if he does it i'd like to see pics though.

• utsharpie
    17 years ago

"what about dirt in pots? dirt is arguable MUCH easier to move than any type of hydro system. dont get me wrong, i love hydro and have grown many different things in it but i just cant immagine worrying about what nutrient combo to use to get the best yeild of acorns or pine cones. if he does it i'd like to see pics though. "

LOL, have you tried to lift a 40 gallon pot of dirt? in hydro you can just lift the plant out of the container to move it, or inspect it,.

you obviously havent seen many hydro setups if these are your views, and nutrient solutions are easy to make, its not rocket science.LOL

• Joe (zone 6b)
    5 years ago

I know I am reviving an ancient thread but didn’t want to start a new one on the same topic. If the OP is still around howdid this work out for you?

I want to seed start some trees hydroponically and transplant outside because I have heard that things grown in hydro grow much faster and want them to be a decent size when I go to plant them in the ground. Do you think This would work out?

• George Davis
    5 years ago

https://sites.google.com/view/thegardensofease2/home

You can go to my website and see examples of various types of trees and bushes all grown hydroponically. No need to transfer to in ground. These trees have been growing for years in just plain water. The fertilizer is added during the Spring as just simple squirts. As you can see from the pictures they fruit normally as well.