Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_90254

Suggestions for my Completely Bare Japanese Garden, Please

Jeff
18 years ago

In another post I asked for some Tsukubai photos and also noted I would post photos of my backyard for help. The area I want to plant is approximately 8Â x 12Â.

I took a stab at a partial garden layout below, and would really appreciate your comments, criticism, and advice. I think IÂd like something around the base of the maple, one or a few low laying shrubs, and some height against the far wall on the left (perhaps a bonsai juniper, lantern, or Buddha?). This is only a thought and IÂm really open to anything including a complete redesign.

HereÂs a view of my acreage. You can see my neighborÂs cactus and bird of paradise across the wall. I already have bamboo and some star jasmine in the concrete planters.

HereÂs area I want to plant as it currently lays.

This is my feeble attempt at a layout using Microsoft Paint. I hope you understand it.

Comments (7)

• Herb
    18 years ago

Jeff - I liked your Japanese Maple idea, so here's my 2c worth. I don't know about the moss that I put in though - you're in California, so moss may not be practicable -

Click here

• Herb
    18 years ago

Here's a second try, more along the lines of your idea, but I couldn't do the plants trailing over the walls... .

Click here

• Jeff
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Herb,
    Thank you so much. I love your second attempt. IÂm torn however between the bamboo fence you drew along the back wall and something more open. On one hand, the closed in look is much more quaint and serene and it blocks the view of my neighborÂs yard. On the other, it makes my garden seem that much smaller. My neighborÂs cactus & bird of paradise are so tall, I think the fence would have to be prohibitively large. YouÂve given me some great ideas and IÂll play around with them a bit more. You also confirmed the decomposed granite & boulder look. It will take me an eternity to find the perfect boulders, but I guess thatÂs half the fun!!

I said in my original post I though my layout could use some height. While I love the look of a nice weeping crimson queen or red dragon, I think your idea of a taller tree works better. It would also focus the eye and help block my neighborÂs yard.

This is the east side of my house and I took the first photo above, under my other neighborÂs giant avocado tree. This entire area gets maybe 5 hours of full sunlight in the summer and 3 in the winter. In addition, IÂm close to the beach so the weather is quite temperate. Thus, I think moss could grow well. IÂm already planting some in the strip you see leading to the garden along with some dwarf mondo grass & stones. This will be the experiment.

What software are you using? Your layouts are absolutely terrific. I have to laugh at my attempt compared to yours, but at least I got my point across. Thanks again.

Jeff

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

I think herb is just using photoshop or paintshop pro. its a good tecnique to play with your garden without breaking your own back ;)

I like that second attempt. You should add some tall bamboo, stones and a maple. And definetly a bamboo screen in the back. Your space is quite squared, so I think you should divide the 3d space into foreground, middle and background. In the foreground, some gravel, and a perhaps a low stone grouping... then comes the shoreline, some low shrubs + stones + lantern ... Some moss and ferns. Then in the middle and background a bamboo forrest with pruned black bamboo. If u got a tall maple, it should hang as a roof over the scene!

Im not as skilled as herb in drawing... perhaps u get my meaning?

And remember the balance. Not too much(bamboo, gravel, stones, moss) and not too little...

/Henrik

• Cytania
    18 years ago

You're on the right track Jeff but I'd simplify to the extent of just having tree gravel and rock. Don't even centre them place the tree where it can be seen against the nice white wall with space in front of it.

Not sure if an acer will take the sun scorch factor as the walls in your area will throw out quite a bit of heat. You may find a pine a better choice. Either start one as a big bonsai project or settle on pinus mugo or pinus aristata.

• Herb
    18 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the actual result - I hope, Jeff, that you'll show us.

The software that I use by the way, is a combination of Photoshop & ACDSee, either JPEG Optimizer or JpegCompress, and often Irfanview).

• Jeff
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You can count on it Herb. Unfortunately, in a few weeks my job is taking me is out of town for anywhere from 3 to 6 months. I will fly home every other weekend so this project will take longer than I'd like. I'm also a complete perfectionist so I know it will take me a while to find the ideal boulders & tree. Summer does not seem to be a good time to buy Japanese maples anyway -- the selection seems a bit thin around here.

Rest assured I'll keep you up to date. And, thanks to all for your continued help.

Sponsored