Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybuglaura

rare blooms since transplanting from Cleveland to Toledo

ladybuglaura
14 years ago

I have 11 hydrangeas currently in my garden: 2 endless summer and 8 mophead and lacecap and 1 St. Theresa. Everything except the endless summers were transplanted from my home in Cleveland to my new home in Sylvania, Ohio. Many of the of the transplants have been rooted from my grandmother's mopheads. My grandmother's original plants are planted at my father's house in Cleveland and doing very well (they get very little attention and are just left to survive on their own, no winter protection, a little pruning when I visit). My transplants have not bloomed in years, I might get 2 or 3 blooms in a season. I can't tell the mopheads from the lacecaps because they don't bloom consistently enough for me to label them. The St. Theresa has never bloomed since transplanting 7 years ago. They get east/northeast/north exposures. I have a sprinkler system and soaker hose because they still tend to wilt in the early afternoon. The 'soil' is pure sand. The only real soil is the top few inches that I put in the gardens. They are mulched with tripled shredded 'black gold.' I have given them commercial bloom booster, Jerry Baker bloom booster, and Jerry Baker 'green-up' and 'clean-up' tonic. At my old house in Cleveland, I had about 20 hydrangeas with hundreds of bloom every year and no winter protection. Any suggestions? I'm starting to lose hope after 7 hopeful springs and 7 dissappointing summers.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting