Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikesc_gw

What new varieties do you hope to see bloom this year?

mikesc
15 years ago

I thought this might be an interesting topic.

I have a stalk of Ghio's Pianoforte which is close to opening here. Another Ghio 2008 intro which has just revealed a bud is Pop Idol. A bonus from Schreiner last year was Aegean Wind, and it has a bud stalk for me. Other first year plants for me which have borne new stalks are Go For the Gold by L. Johnson and Black Magic Woman by Superstition.

I'm hoping that I'll see a flower on Arctic Burst, Duncan, 2008--one of the neatest flowers of last year's intros to me.

Comments (12)

• phantomfyre
    15 years ago

'Vatican Flag' (TB, Willott '05). I've seen it bloom in other gardens, and can't wait to see it put on a show here at home. She's a show-stopper. I also have VF's sisters - 'Moonlit Crystal', 'Crystal Wings' and 'Joyfulness' that I'd like to see. The pictures of 'Joyfulness' in particular never do it justice - it glows. And you should see the branching these girls are capable of! The stalks look like trees!

I also have about 100 historic irises that I acquired when a grower shut down a couple years ago that should bloom this year - bought sight unseen, based on rarity alone, so other than reading the registration description, I have no clue what to expect. Should be fun!

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Wow, a hundred new irises! When are you going to catch your breath?

I just got my first bloom on Lady Friend, which is just as beautiful, if not more, that the photos. It was the show stopper at my garden tour.

I am awaiting many tried-and-true irises, largely purchased by following recommendations here:

Beverly Sills
    Alice Goodman
    Impressionist
    New Leaf
    Fine Wine (bonus from Schreiner's)
    English Charm
    Frequent Flyer
    Maid of Orange
    Ruby Slippers
    Mexican Holiday (another bonus from Schreiner's)
    and most anticipated: Starship Enterprise!

I'm off to google the irises mentioned...
    Renee

• eroctuse2
    15 years ago

I almost didn't respond, because my list turned out longer than I expected, but you asked. :) These aren't all new to my garden (most are), but they are varieties that haven't bloomed for me yet.

'Bluebeard's Ghost' SDB
    'Border Guard' BB
    'Brook Flower' TB
    'Cat's Eye' SDB
    'Cherokee Tears' TB
    'Coffee Whispers' TB
    'Dandy Candy' TB
    'Decadence' TB
    'Disco Eclipse' TB
    'Dreaming Clown' TB
    'Emerald Fantasy' AB
    'Erotic Touch' TB
    'Frank Rice' AB
    'Game Plan' TB
    'Golden Panther' TB
    'Goldkist' TB
    'Here Be Dragons' SIB
    'Hobo Heaven' TB
    'Honeycomb' TB
    'Huckleberry Fudge' TB
    'Kahuna' IB
    'Kimono Silk' JI
    'Kona Waves' TB
    'Lava Moonscape' TB
    'Leopard Print' SDB
    'Lunar Whitewash' TB
    'Magnum Bordeaux' SIB
    'Neon At Dusk' TB
    'Obi-wan Kenobi' TB
    'Opal Blush' MDB
    'Othmani' AB
    'Ozone Alert' TB
    'Persian Wood' IB
    'Rayos Adentro' MTB
    'Rosewater' JI
    'Ryugan' SPEC-X
    'Shadow Warrior' TB
    'Sierra Rim' IB
    'Slovak Prince' TB
    'Swans In Flight' SIB
    'Tracking' MTB
    'Venetian Glass' TB
    'Voodoo Child' TB
    'Waxen Image' IB
    'Wrangler' IB
    'Zooboomafoo' SDB

Also at the top of my list are seedlings, both my own and from generous hybridizers. There are quite a few varieties that I'm really excited about in my orders this year too. I'm also really tempted to add a historic iris order to the ranks this year (after I stumbled upon the historic galleries at Superstition Gardens).

None of my non-bulbous iris are blooming yet. One MDB is just starting to swell with buds and the season's just about to break loose here.

• mshadow
    15 years ago

Looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures and hope all of the new ones bloom.

Brock, can't wait to see your seedling pictures!

These were all planted in 2007 and didn't bloom in 2008, so I have my fingers crossed. Even though I didn't plant anything last year, at least I will get to see some new blooms this year (hopefully).

tall bearded iris
    Aristocracy, Bamboo Shadows, Dramatic Style, Cashmere Rose, El Cerrito, Enchanter, Fatal Attraction, House Warming, In the Stars, Lecture, Machismo, Making Memories, Out of the Dark, Merchant Marine, Music Lesson, Pacific Fire, Winning Edge, Royal Majesty

Siberians
    Shall We Dance, Bright and Beautiful, Harpswell Princess Karen, Ruffles and Flourishes, Wall Street Blues, Dance and Sing, Double Standards, Lees Blue, Rosy Bows, Jiggles, Tornado Rose, Kaboom, Percheron, Moon Dazzle, Having Fun

Japanese iris
    Bellender Blue, Blues Revisited, Second Wave (Darn mice or something ate Oriental Eyes and First Act, never got to see them bloom):(

Shadow

• kprp
    15 years ago

mshadow,

El Cerrito is one of my favorites and I have 100 TB's. Gee, it's a pretty one! And it was more reliable than some TB's in a lightly shaded area.

This year I am hoping that the SDB "Puddy Tat" which I bought years ago, blooms. I had it in my too-shady-for-iris garden where it bloomed one time (just enough to verify that I got the right plant)and then stopped. Two years ago I moved it to my full-sun iris garden and I hope that does the trick.

Same story foor "Jane "eyre" antoher long ago purchae that never did much in a too shady location.

I would like to see the species Orientalis (it that it's name?) bloom this year. This will be 3 years and counting.

Overall, I am VERY happy with all iris plants that are living in my sunny garden. Most all of them have performed with flowering. Last year was a fabulous iris year yere, don't relaly know why.

• gmason
    15 years ago

Shadow and eroctuse2, You should really enjoy those iris.
    I can't heap enough superlatives on Bluebeards Ghost.
    Zoomfoomafoo is outstanding in its vibrancy of colors and it is delicious in its fragrance.
    Persian Wood, Coffee Whispers, Huckleberry Fudge, Goldkist, all lovely. In fact I didn't see any I wouldn't gladly grow.
    Harpswell Princess Karen I believe is my favorite SIB. Wall Street Blues and Percheron are lovely too.

Aristocracy, Merchant Marine, Enchanter and Out of Dark are all outstanding.
    If they all bloom for you it should be an outstanding spring.
    For me this weekend begins another spring of getting a peak at so many gorgeous seedlings. Salem here I come.

• mshadow
    15 years ago

George, I totally am looking forward to your beautiful pictures. Have a wonderful trip!

Shadow

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

phantomfyre, I sure hope you post pictures of those historics. I'm in the midst of a garden rescue myself so hope to have a whole bunch of historics soon.

eroctuse2, looking forward to seeing pictures of your seedlings too. I have a few started this winter indoors but most of the seeds have not germinated yet so I'll be putting them out in larger pots as soon as I have time. They are in the fridge now.

Heck, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone's iris. This has been one long winter.

In my garden I'm most looking forward to my 'new to me' historics blooming.

Ballerina (or Ballerine have to see it bloom to verify which one)
    Butterfly Wings
    Boo
    Cotsgold
    Desert Song
    Eleanor's Pride
    Glowing Volcano
    Indian Chief
    Indian Pow Wow
    Interpol
    Loreley
    Sheriffa
    The Red Douglas

Plus a whole bunch of NOIDS that I'm hoping to get better pictures & stats on so that //Maybe// I can find their names.

• mike_g_
    15 years ago

SEEDLINGS for sure. I have about 400 that should bloom this year. Plus 35+ that have bloomed in the past.

Check out my web page I have 32 seedling photos on it. Be sure to click on the slide thumbnail to see the large photo. They load fast even for dialup people.

Mike G

Here is a link that might be useful: My Web Page

• mshadow
    15 years ago

Mike, your seedlings are really beautiful. My favorites are the Romancer x Glory of Dawn crosses, but really like all of them. I can't even imagine what it would be like to see 400 new ones blooming that no one has ever seen before!

Shadow

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

I have 2 new ones that bloomed for me this year. Expose, just blew me away.

Dot

Expose

Explicit

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

That Expose is just unbelievable!
    Mike G, I adore your green plicata and seedling #08TJ-19 TB. Looking forward to more photos!
    Renee

Sponsored