Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmills_gw

Opinions on Hanna EC/TDS/pH meters

mmmills
19 years ago

I've been shopping for a combo EC/TDS/pH meter and keep seeing Hanna products for sale at eBay.

Any reason to avoid their products?

Comments (13)

• willardb3
    19 years ago

I recommend that you get separate Ph and TDS meters as failure in 1 meter does not mean failure in the other.

Combo meters do neither well.......

• mmmills
    Original Author
    19 years ago

willard3,

Thanks! I can go with separate devices. I guess it is a bit cheaper to get the combo when compared to the price of individual units. I'm currently using pH paper and an aquarium water test kit for TDS. I'm less concerned about upgrading my pH testing than the TDS tests.

No comment on Hanna as a brand name? A guy in the local hydroponics store liked Oakton. I don't remember an opinion on Hanna.

Mark

• baci
    19 years ago

I tried asking Hanna questions about specifics of their meters as I wanted to purchase one. Their customer service would not answer my question unless I bought the meter. I kept writing them saying I wanted to buy one of their meters & had some questions about it & kept getting e-mails asking what meter I had purchased. They kept giving me the runaround so I did not buy from them.

• novice31m
    19 years ago

I have a "truncheon" tds/ec meter and a oaklyn ph meter.
    >>>>no complaints w/either.

• GirlieGreen
    19 years ago

if i were to get one meter i would get a truncheon

• weebus
    19 years ago

I use a Hanna at work and I wouldn't buy one for personal use.

• markapp
    19 years ago

what is it about the hanna you use at work that make it un intresting to you?

• adrianag
    19 years ago

Definitely go with the Tuncheon or the Dipstick, both made by New Zealand Hydroponic. The bib, big, BIG plus for these is that they do not need to be calibrated. You can get a good price on the site below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Hydroponics

• ym-hydroponics
    17 years ago

I have a "pH/EC/TDS Test Meters Monitoring"

Here is a link that might be useful: ym-hydroponics

• iamshark
    17 years ago

Not to hog a guys thread, but any comments on the Millawkee SM802 combo meter other than I cant aspell it? :-)
    It got here yesterday and works great, but it is new after all. Wasnt fond of buying 3 monitors.. paid $148 after shipping with insurance on ebay.
    Thanks

• tclynx
    17 years ago

I have the Tuncheon and it is really easy to use. I've been using test papers for the pH. I would kind of like to get away from the papers but most of the ph meters seem such a pain to calibrate all the time, you have to buy the calibration solutions and storage solution and then you need to replace the probes regularly too. The on-going cost doesn't seem to warrant switching from the test papers. I could be wrong though.

• intellectual_menace
    17 years ago

I like EC/TDS temp personally, and an alternate pH indicator. good luck

• nutra-wand
    16 years ago

---------- pH/EC(TDC)/Temperature Test Meters Monitoring ----------------------------------------------

Specifications YM-2006

---- Range
    pH: 0.00 -- 14.00pH EC:0.00 -- 19.99EC
    C: -50¡ãC -- 70¡ãC ¡ãF: -58¡ãF -- 158¡ãF
    CF: 0.0 -- 199CF TDS: 10 -- 19990ppm
    Resolution:
    pH: 0.01pH ¡ãC: 0.1¡ãC ¡ãF: 0.2¡ãF
    EC: 0.01EC CF:0.1CF TDS:10ppm
    ---- Accuracy
    pH: +/- 0.03 pH ¡ãC:1.0¡ãC
    EC.CF.TDS :+/- 2% F.S
    ---- Operating Temperature: 0¡ãC-- 50¡ãC