Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

AeroGarden Fertilzer..what to use.

floridabear
16 years ago

Ok. I am going to be a pest I guess. Now that I have 2 AeroGardens,and expect a 3rd on Christmas,I am going to try my own experiments ,and I have like 5 extra seed kits. So that settles the sponge/growing medium issue. BUT,when I look up hydroponic fert. on like EBay. I notice that most of them are FOLIAR! What do you use IN the water? Is there a good general purpose fertilizer that would work for dwarf tomatos as well as dwarf marigolds or other dwarf veg. or flowers?

Something to add to the water,NOT a foliar spray?

I am going to use their sponges and plastic cups to hold them and plant in those. BUT their fert.tabs. I think are meant for just those seeds. And they have those 'starter' fert. tablets, than the growing fert.tablets. IS there a growing hydroponic fert. that would work from seed to fruit? Or seed to flower? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• dulcelife
    16 years ago

I wrote this for you days ago on another thread you started. I'll post it here since you don't seem to visit your old threads.

Cheers!

Foridabear,

The Aerogarden is a great little device and what you can do with it is only limited by your imagination. A couple of notes. The oasis product (cubes) did not work. They remain too wet in the constant drip system the AG uses and most although not all of the seeds rotted. I next tried organic sponges cut to fit the cup. There are few brands out there such as Rapid Rooters, etc. All seeds have just recently germinated. As far as nutrients are concerned I have General Hydroponics 3-part Flora, the single part (and stinky) Nova and the elegant and simple Floramato. The Floramato is what I am going to replace the AG nutrient with on all my runs. It is a simple 1 part dry powder with the same buffers (to hold the PH in all waters) I imagine the AG tablets have. I have used it on patio and betterboys growing in coco (coir) outdoors and the tomatoes are just scrumptious with very high solids and sugars. It also keeps it simple: 1 tsp. per gallon.

As far as seeds, I suspect that the so called Heirloom cherry that AG supplies is not a hybrid meaning the seed can be saved. I am just starting to germinate seed from my first AG garden and will report here if the plants are true to the parent.

Replacing the bulbs every 6 months is a bit too conservative for me. Once a year should be more than adequate unless you are growing in total darkness. Time will tell. I will say that the new three flat bulb hood and extended height arm is a worthwhile change and I would urge anyone not yet owning the AG to seriously consider getting the new unit.

Here are all the pieces:

• floridabear
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I read it..i wasnt interested in the fert. part. at the time. so where do you get this Floramato stuff? Does it go from seed to fruit? Or is it only for the fruiting time or what? I figured out my growing medium...so i started this new fertilizer posting,ok? How much do you use? Is it what the package says,or do you use a certain amount?? What is the brown stuff you are planting in? It looks like peat moss. doesnt it clog up your system?

• cruelsun
    16 years ago

Brown stuff is the RapidRooter it is a sponge made from organic compost and held together with a plant based polymer.

Floramato is a product of General Hydroponics you can read more on their website. Here is a link to a good price on it:

Here is a link that might be useful: FloraMato Nutrient 1.5 lb

• dagardenguy
    16 years ago

What is the amount of FloraMato that you use for the AG and how often.. and is the buffer that you speak about mixed in with the fertilizer?

The RapidRooter that you use for the seeds..where do you get them and any special trick for their use?

Thanks

dagardenguy

• attymusic
    16 years ago

I too would like to know how much FloraMato to use in an AeroGarden.
    FYI: You can also purchase FloraMato through Amazon.com
    Thanks
    attymusic

• iliketoast
    16 years ago

Call General Hydroponics (1-800-37-HYDRO). They are very helpful, and it will take about 3 minutes to get your answer. I was given a used Aerogarden and am using the Flora series fertilizer on Tiny Tim tomato plants. It seems to be working very well. FloraMato does sound easier though, since it's 1 part instead of 3.

• lukeskywilliam
    15 years ago

There is a guide to using rockwool instead of sponges and liquid nutrients instead of the tablets on the aerogardners community. Check out Peat's Guides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aerogarden News