Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuartn_gw

getting light to a shady area

stuartn
17 years ago

I have a shady corner with a 6 foot fence on 2 sides. Various other obstacles mean that this patch gets no light at all, so I am wondering how I can perhaps use sunlight from adjoining areas.

The closest source would be the reverse side of the fence that blocks the light in the first place, so possibly a solar tube could collect light from the top edge? Not pretty though.

Reflection is also a possibility, but the nearest source would be about 15 feet away so I'm not sure how well that would work, or how long a mirror would last before the angle needed adjusting.

I also thought about ordinary solar lights but the power source would be some way away and I'd have to modify them to run during the day.

This probably all sounds crazy but this little corner of the garden is a bit of a focal point, and I'd like it to get some sunshine somehow.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Comments (12)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    17 years ago

A picture of the area would help.

If you know how to Google and capture an aerial photo of your house and post it here even better. (don't post the link, you may reveal your exact address).

dcarch

• stuartn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alas the Google Earth image of my area isn't very good

17 years ago

Try Mapquest.

dcarch

• stuartn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No satellite stuff outside US by the look of it

17 years ago

1. Where are you located?
    2. Is shading caused by tall trees?
    dcarch

• stuartn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

In UK, near London.
    The shading is caused by a 6ft fence running roughly east to west. The flower bed faces north and is only a foot or so deep, so the sun is never quite high enough.
    There is a north/south fence running at right angles to it so I could reflect light off that in the afternoon but doing it tastefully wouldn't be easy.

17 years ago

Ah! UK, where the sun never shines! [only kidding :-) ]

Again, a picture will be helpful.

RE: fence:
    Who owns the fence? You can replace the fence material with UV resistant transluscent panels which can be made very nice looking.

dcarch

• stuartn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sun rarely shines but sizzles when it does. Hope the picture thing works

Here is a link that might be useful:

17 years ago

Very nice garden.
    The angle of the sun is very low.
    1. Best thing is to have transluscent panels in the fence. You will still have complete privacy.

2. Mirrors should be considered. You do not see mirrors. You mostly see reflections in a mirror.

3. Paint the fence white. Of course this will changed the look.

4. Matt aluminmum reflective materials can be used. If they are angled carefully, they are not too obvious.

5. Metal Halide light fixtures (400 watts or more) with a highly focusing reflector in the area you need light to suppliment natural light.

6. Finally, carefully select shade tolerant plants.

dcarch

• stuartn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

>The angle of the sun is very low.

That was taken yesterday when the sun came out for 10 minutes. In summer it almost catches the bed, but not quite.

>1. Best thing is to have transluscent panels in the fence. >You will still have complete privacy.

The fence belongs to our neighbours, who only put it up to protect us from their activities (they're a commercial outfit)

>2. Mirrors should be considered. You do not see mirrors. >You mostly see reflections in a mirror.

That's intresting. Not as intrusive as I thought maybe. Heavy though

>3. Paint the fence white. Of course this will changed the >look.

That would be well out of keeping with other houses in the road. Fine in the Mediterranean. Not so good for a windswept island in the North Sea!

>4. Matt aluminmum reflective materials can be used. If they >are angled carefully, they are not too obvious.

I was wondering yesterday how a line of cds might look slotted into that trellis at the back. Fixing them and making them adjustable might be a problem.

So where are you? Probably swinging in a hammock in Florida :-)

17 years ago

Manay possible designs.
    Good luck
    dcarch

{{gwi:1018690}}

• stuartn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Neat work with the photo editing!. Thanks for the suggestions

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County