Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamaconnie

Non-blooming iris

bamaconnie
13 years ago

I have about 8 iris planted for the past 3 years. About 85% sun, planted with rizones showing above ground. Have been watered and fertlized. Only one, a yellow one has ever bloomed. Should I dig them up and replant? I have checked them and none appear soft. No insect holes either.

Comments (4)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Do you think they are getting too crowded? If the rhizomes are growing over one another, they may need dividing. I divide mine about once every three years.

I have also had a few varieties of iris that just don't bloom. If I don't get flowers after the second year, I get rid of them.

Renee

• madeyna
    13 years ago

I had that happen with some tried and true iris I brought with me when I bought this place . I moved them to even more sun and they have bloomed their little heads off every year since. I don,t know if it was that they needed that few extra hours of sun or if it was because I stoped using fert. on them when I moved them.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Did you use a low nitrogen fertilizer? No Miracle Gro!

How's the soil? Does it drain well? Do you do deep soakings rather than frequent waterings?

Some beardeds just take longer to establish than others. I generally count on 2-3 years for a new one to bloom.

• chere
    13 years ago

You might be taking too good care of them. I have an noid that I put in the flower bed in our drive way and never did anything to it for five years except water it and it bloomed like crazy. It was so over crowded I had hard time getting it separated. Now that I separated it I only got two blooms from it. Some iris thrive on neglect. How often do you water them? I only water my iris once a week here in sunny California. They are drought resistant after they have established themselves. They originated from a region where there is no rain in the summer just like here in California.