Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Put in my Fall order with Hallson's!!!!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

Thanks to the rave reviews that all of you have given Hallson Gardens, I put in my first ever order with them to be shipped this September. (Chris was nice enough to hold them for me so that I don't have to pot them all up.) I ordered:

Blueberry Muffin
Dancing Queen
Emerald Ruff Cut
Fat Cat
Fragrant Bouquet
Fried Bananas
Luna Moth
Paradigm
Rosedale Golden Goose
Seducer
White Bikini

Any pictures you guys want to post would be much appreciated! (It'll help tide me over until I get all of these beauties in person!)

Comments (20)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

wow.. you plan ahead ..

why then??? .. whats special about sept in z8???

ken

• dg
    10 years ago

You won't regret ordering from Hallson Gardens. Great plants!

Off your list, here's Luna Moth.

Deb

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Here's a pic, taken a couple of weeks ago, of 'Fried Bananas'. It's a vigorous grower. I bought this last year, also from Hallson Gardens. I'll try to find the pic of it fresh out of the box.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Found it. Newly-arrived 'Fried Bananas' getting a drink before planting. Also bought a great 'Fragrant Bouquet' from Hallson the same time I bought this.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 22:28

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I think you're gonna love your Hallson Garden plants. This is a pic of my first order from them, all fragrants. Got these plus FB...

Send us some pics when you get your plants?

Regards,
    Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Ken what's special about September is that the hosta won't fry in the mail truck on the way. I'm planning on October.

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Paradigm was first season 2012 and in part afternoon sun in zone 5

• LRB3
    10 years ago

Paradigm (potted). Gets quite a bit of indirect afternoon sun in this location.

Fried Bananas in the middle, with fortunei Hyacynthina to the left and just the top of Invincible at the bottom. All are potted.

And Fragrant Bouquet, which pretty much exploded this year.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures, everyone! I can't wait to get my Hallson's order. It seems like everyone has been very happy with their plants. I'll be sure to take a picture or two in September.

Ken-not much special about September except it really starts to cool down here. I thought I'd wait until then so I don't have to drive myself nuts giving all these plants special TLC all summer long. And, as bk pointed out, I don't have to worry about them frying in the mail truck!

It's actually really hard to wait until September. I want those babies NOW!!! Lol.

• User
    10 years ago

I got a couple of orders in October last year. One was from Wade Gatton in MN. Last year, they said Oct 1 (if I recall correctly) was the last date for DIGGING hosta. They would still ship other hosta already in pots, but not dig after then. Most of my hosta were on their DIG list, so I got many fragrants then.

Even a month later (than September) up that far north, the hosta were semi or fully dormant. But when they reached south Alabama with warm temps, a couple of them got up and partied for a couple more months, finally going to sleep after Thanksgiving. Expecting dire consequences because of it, I was much relieved to see that every one of them is doing great this year.

I was thinking of delaying some of my new choices until October, but Wade Gatton shipped them all this June. LOTS more fragrant hosta. Nothing left to wish for....except a few like Snake Eyes. You can spot it at 20 feet or MORE.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just looked up "Snake Eyes". Very intriguing markings and growth habit. I'm guessing that one is a "Strip Tease" sport?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

precisely ... i figured it was big brown truck heat ... asked the question i already figured the answer for..

so others might understand that july/august isnt quite mail order time.. unless you are willing to pop for the extra postage for overnight.. or two day ...

dons fried banana looks awful tall in the bucket.. and very short in the pic ...

ken

EDIT: and i again.. forgot to mention.. brilliant to order ahead.. to secure the stock.. you wait and then are told.. that one or two arent available.. and its usually ONLY the one that your life depends on ... lol ..

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 7:12

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, Ken, that is a possible scenario....I already saw the "out of stock" on Snake Eyes. But I can wait. It was Babka's Snake Eyes NOT blocking her exit, that drew my attention to it.

Also YES to Flower, it is a Striptease family member. With the addition of Snake Eyes, and the two I got this week from Jim H, Striptease and Kiwi Full Monty, I'll have good representation of the stripper family. Because I got Gypsy Rose in March this year. Crisp stems, leaves, good behavior, vigorous plant.

• irawon
    10 years ago

FF, You won't regret having bought Luna Moth. It's one of my favorites. This year is its third year in my garden, a great grower despite tree root competition. It performed well during last year's drought and wasn't bothered by slugs, earwigs or cutworms.

Great to see everyone's pics.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken-I agree that people should order ahead whenever possible. Case in point, I snagged Hallson's last "White Bikini" with my order...and it's only June.

Moccasin-"Snake Eyes" just made my wish list. I found an older GardenWeb post that has a link to a blog with a great picture of it (along with some other beautiful pics!) I don't know if the link works, but it works if you cut and paste it into your browser.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0511124719589.html

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon-beautiful "Luna Moth"! That picture is a good example of why it made my "have to have it!" list!

• irawon
    10 years ago

My Paradigm gets a lot less sun than Faye's. Faye that's a great looking Paradigm... so well proportioned, scapes and all. I've never taken a picture of mine with scapes. I'll have to be more observant of it when it blooms this summer.

• irawon
    10 years ago

My Paradigm gets a lot less sun than Faye's. Faye that's a great looking Paradigm... so well proportioned, scapes and all. I've never taken a picture of mine with scapes. I'll have to be more observant of it when it blooms this summer.

{{!gwi}}

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

A drift of three large Fried Bananas. Edited to say "my" drift......

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 17:10

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

True, but that 'Fried Babanas' pic in the bucket was August 2012, and the pic in the ground was May 2013...The leaves are bigger now, it's got five eyes from two last season, and it's still growing vertically. Everything started late here, just like most other places.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 16:59

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County