Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomasaki

Struggling Acer shirasawanum aureum

tomasaki
17 years ago

The last post reminds me ... I have a question about my Full Moon maple, Acer shirasawanum aureum, that I planted about 4 years ago. It seems to be struggling.

I know they are slow growing, but it's lost quite a few of it's branches over the past years and it hasn't gotten much taller. It's in a shady well drained area, and other plants are thriving nearby -- really what I think the problem is that I planted it too deep, maybe about 4 inches or so (it was one of the first things I planted in my garden, and well, I have since learned not to do this!)

Anyway, the other thing I can think of is verticillium wilt, which I hope to God it's not. I have a few other Japanese Maples nearby (planted at the correct depth!) and I'd hate to lose them.

Here's my question: do you think it would hurt to either:

1. dig it up and replant so it's at the level it should be (I've already dug down to where the trunk starts to flare, but it could be raised a little) or

2. dig it up and put it a pot (I'm kind of favoring this option since the tree is so small I'd like it closer to the house, and if it does have the vert. wilt maybe I can save my other trees). or

3. Leave it alone.

Thanks for any advice you more experienced gardeners can offer me!

Tom

Comments (3)