Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradobird

Anyone growing Full Moon Maple 'Otaki' (Acer japonicum)?

coloradobird
18 years ago

I can't find much on this plant. Whitman Farms has it, and says, "Round, sharply lobed, 2'' leaves with great fall color make this one of my favorite Japonicums zone 5."

At Davesgarden (will put link below), it is listed as zone 5. Can't find any photos of it, which is making me want to see it! I found other Full Moons and palmatum Otaki but not much on japonicum 'Otaki'.

Forest Farm might have it (according to Davesgarden site), but their site is hard to search and I couldn't find it.

Very curious. . .

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer japonica

Comments (11)

• mjh1676
    18 years ago

I greatly dislike the whole Full Moon Maple desigation---O'taki is a japonicum. Here are links to some photos, mostly of a plant we used to have at our old home. When we left it behind in a move, the new owners thoughtlessly ripped it out. Quite sad as it had been in the ground only 2 years and I could have easily dug it and took it off their hands. I'm still a little bitter.

http://www.mandmmaples.com/html/j__o_taki.html

Here is a link that might be useful: japonicum 'O'taki'

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't know anything about designations, just that it gets confusing. . .

Thanks for the photo links. I like those leaves. It's hard to tell, though, is the plant more tree-like or bush-like?

I can see why you're bitter about someone digging up your beautiful plant. What a bummer!

Thanks,

Christina

• mjh1676
    17 years ago

My point about the designation was to echo your thought that it is just confusing as people misuse the common name or don't know how to relate it to japonicum and shirasawanum and all of a sudden we don't know what to think of the plant or what it is called.

But in any case, O'taki is a tree for most intents and purposes. It can be shrubby, but most end up being single leader trees that are much wider than tall, but can get quite tall in many years. Ours grew narrowly up to about 7ft and then only had the desire to spread. I have had the same experience with O'isami, Vitifolium, and Palmatifolium. The larger japonicums are pretty woody rigid plants that prefer to grow untrained or better lend themselves to growing in an unaltered form.

Best regards.
    MJH

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

MJH, It sounds like I need something smaller. I've got a real small garden area (around 15' by 5-6') and this tree seems too big. I really like Maiku Jaku (or Dancing Peacock), too, but it seems it's about the same size, darn it. Autumn Moon seems a bit smaller (though not in the long run). It's so hard to make a decision. . .

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Christina

• mucknmire
    17 years ago

I posted a message yesterday but for some reason it did not appear.
    I bought a one year grafted plant last year and it seemed scrawny and got sunburnt in full exposure but it lived through the winter and is thriving this spring. I bought it from world plants for a very reasonable price of $15. Here's their url:
    http://www.worldplants.com/otaki.htm
    It's turning out to be a beautilful tree. Well worth the money in my opinion.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mucknmire,

Thanks for the link. How big a plant did you get for $15? Was it in a pot?

One problem with ordering something bigger is the shipping is sooooo expensive.

Christina

• mjh1676
    17 years ago

Unless otherwise indicated, you will get a plant in a 4" pot that was grafted last summer/fall/winter. If you wait until the end of the season, providing they have some left, the plant will have a partial season of growth on it and they will have potted it into a gallon for $25 if it was large enough. It will be small.

• mucknmire
    17 years ago

Hi Christina,
    The "tree" from worldplants was about 8"-10" tall with two sprigs of about 4". It grew a bit during the summer so by fall it was about a foot to 15" tall. It's really taken off this spring and is about 2 feet now with many new leaves filling out the little tree nicely and it's still putting out new shoots. It looks like it will be a very nice tree. I also bought a "Maiko Jaku" but that hasn't done very much although I like the leaf pattern a little better than Otaki.

Worldplants also ships very securely. I bought about 15-20 maples from them and all arrived in very good condition. They only are a little slow in processing your order in the busy season - about a 2 week wait but worth it in my opinion...builds anticipation.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mjh and mucknmire, thanks for the worldplants info. Sometimes ya just can't afford to buy all your plants nice and big. I'm glad to hear their trees are good quality.

I did buy a Sharp's Pygmy this weekend at a local nursery because of the year guarantee, and I did also buy a little Beni Otaki on Ebay because the price was great (this is beginning to sound like a confession), and I may yet get one more little one to put in a pot from worldplants, because their prices are so good.

Maiku Jaku ended up at the top of my list because I really like the photos I've seen of it, but then I decided I really need to go SMALL (I have very limited space). I just hope the palmatums I bought prove hardy enough for my conditions. If not, next year, it'll be one of the japonicums.

Thanks for the worldplants info.

Christina

• mucknmire
    17 years ago

Christina,
    The Beni Otake you bought from EBay is not the same as Otaki. Beni Otake is the big red bamboo maple just so you know.

I also bought a Maiku Jaku and I wondered why it wasn't growing well. The darned deer ate it! Just grazed most of the new leaves and branches. I hope it survives. Rats!

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mucknmire, Oh I know it's not the same, but it was recommended as being able to take a lot of sun and being pretty hardy, so since it was cheap, thought I'd give it a try. I am a little worried about the palmatum types here, but we'll see.

That is sad about your Mailu Jaku and the deer. I really like the look of that tree (well, I haven't seen yours, but just in general--they're very attractive). Good luck with it. Being in the city, I don't have to worry about deer at least.

Christina

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus