Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

A plain green NOID

franknjim
12 years ago

I received this as Elegans and it is obviously not that.

Leaves: 5"x7"

Petioles: 10"

Height: 14"

Width: 22"

Vein pairs: 7

Underside: Shiney

This was a single eye when I received it last year and it now has two eyes. It hasn't bloomed yet this year and I don't remember if it bloomed last year or not. The last pic I have of it from last year showed it hadn't bloomed by September 4th so I am guessing that it is a very late bloomer.

I have a Royal Standard of the same age that gets the same exposure as this one but the leaves are considerably darker green. I am guessing that this might be Honeybells.

{{gwi:1051053}}

{{gwi:1051054}}

{{gwi:1051055}}

Comments (22)

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

My Honeybells has narrower leaves. Could be plantaganea? If it blooms in August with big pure white fragrant blooms, that would be it. I hate trying to ID plain green ones! They all look alike!

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Hey Frank,

It looks just like my "unknown green", except mine has double the vein count.

Can we see a photo of that stack of pots in the background? That's unusual.

bkay

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

the apple green color makes it.. to my eye.. a dead ringer for plantaginea...

the 6 inch white flowers would be the give away ...

otherwise.. one of the 3 inch white flower progeny

ken

{{gwi:2050}}

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This stack of clay pots is made up of 16", 14", 12", 8" & 6". There are additional clay pots stacked upsidedown inside of them that support the weight of the pots on top. It will be much larger once the impatiens fill in. I got a late start potting it up since my hostas always come before all else.

Shade stack.
    {{gwi:2210}}

This one is 14", 12", 10" & 6" pots.
    Sun stack.
    {{gwi:2211}}

Porch Stack from 2009
    {{gwi:2209}}

Hosta Stack 2010
    {{gwi:2212}}

Hosta Stack I made for my sister.
    {{gwi:2213}}

Hostas do not do well for me in clay pots so I don't use them in the stacks anymore.

• Cher
    12 years ago

They are all gorgeous. Already thinking about next year. Have a feeling a lot of us are going to go with your ideas. Thanks.
    Cher

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you.

This shows the pots inside. Sometimes I also used saucers to get the right height. I also filled all inside pots with potting soil to help retain moisture longer. Even the upsidedown pots have potting soil in them.
    {{gwi:2214}}

This is how I planted one of the stacks of hostas. I had all of the hostas in growers pots and they were just starting to send up their eyes.
    {{gwi:2215}}

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Frank.try Fried Green Tomatoes. Honeybells is much lightere green,at least in my garden. Phil

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Thanks for the photos. I made UKhostaman's begonia baskets this year. Not as well as he does, but they will be better next time. I will give your tower a shot next year.

Thanks again,

bkay

• ademink
    12 years ago

leaf looks like it has too much substance for plantaginea to me...maybe it's just the pic?

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The leaves of my NOID are not heavy. They are thinner than my Royal Standard. They feel similar to Guacamole/Stained Glass WIndows/So Sweet. They are pretty soft.

• ademink
    12 years ago

then yes...sounds like plantaginea if the leaves are like that. :)

• kimcoco
    12 years ago

FrankNJim, you just gave me ideas for all of my unused clay pots. I'll get the eyeroll from my husband. He knows this means more work for him (and me). LOL.

How do you like the moisture control potting mix? I used Al's mix (on the soil forum) last year for a lot of my pots. My plants grew faster and performed well, but needed a lot of watering in the heat of summer, sometimes twice a day. At that time, it took an hour start to finish to go around my yard and water each pot. So this year, I switched to the moisture control, left for a few days over the holiday and returned to happy plants with moist soil. I wouldn't have been able to do that last year.

I'll post a pic of my plantaginea.

Your 4/27/2010 pic - by the door - the variegated hosta in the second pot from the bottom. What hosta is that? It's adorable.

I'm assuming you put these plants in the ground for the winter months?

• kimcoco
    12 years ago

This is my 2nd year Plantaginea 'Aphrodite'

Same hosta, different camera settings:

{{gwi:417155}}

{{gwi:1051056}}

{{gwi:1051057}}

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The moisture control potting mix hasn't made that much difference to me in the clay pots. Clay pots always dry out fast and if potting mix gets bone dry it takes forever to get it to re-absorb moisture.

The variegated one is Golden Tiara. On my porch the bottom pot is Golden Scepter & Ostrich Ferns then Golden Tiara, Lemon Lime, Hi Ho Silver and Cracker Crumbs on the top. I put all of the hostas back into growers pots that fall.

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

I lost lots of hosta over the winter in moisture control potting soil. I'm sure that's not the only reason. I also put rocks on the soil to dissuade the squirrels and who knows what other mistakes I made. I would not use it for hosta again, or anything that not an annual.

JMO

bkay

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I recycle potting mix and add to it every year. Sometimes I just buy bales of milled peat moss and a bale of vermiculite and mix my own. Sometimes I add a mild fertilizer in the mix or use an ocassional liquid fertilizer. I go through way too much to just always buy Miracle Gro potting mixes. It takes a lot to fill up 35 hanging baskets from 6" to 24" and 31 pots from 6" to 28" just for annuals not to mention all of the hostas I always have from propagating or just pulling things out of the yard to get rid of. I water constantly and never let anything dry out completely so I don't use a wetting agent. It all ends up going into the ground one year or another.

• ivysmom
    12 years ago

Oh wow, I love the stacked pots! (sorry I can't comment on the NOID :)

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is now August and the NOID is getting reading to bloom. This should help in identification. My fingers are crossed for a double flower. I have been wanting the plantaginea's Aphrodite, Venus & Athena because of the double flowers.
    {{gwi:1051058}}

{{gwi:1051059}}

{{gwi:1051060}}

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

My new plantaginae 'Aphrodite' looks the same, starting to show flower buds, but yours is 1 week ahead of mine. I am really looking forward to see that flower. Honeybells, Royal Standard and Guacamole (Cathedral Windows ?) are further ahead, two had a nice perfume through partially closed flowers, forgot which.
    Bernd

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the bloom on my NOID. Five inches long and highly scented. It is not a double flower. The bloom started opening up tonight and I assisted to see inside. This must just be plantaginea.
    {{gwi:1051061}}

{{gwi:1051062}}

• janroze
    12 years ago

Definitely plantaginea. 'Aphrodite' is taller and the buds bulge like you wouldn't believe - even my DH took notice. Gorgeous in bloom. Mine are just beginning to show some white.
    gramma jan

• hostaLes
    12 years ago

Congrats. I wish my NOID green hosta was that easy to solve. I bought it as Invincible and it has very similar characteristic but almost no shine to the leaves at all. The plant is over 10 years old and 50" across with flowers on 40"+ scapes. I don't trust magazine or pics from seed companies, etc. regarding shine or color since they are either enhanced or changed by the paper coatings. But after seeing all the beautiful Invincible here in the forum I am convinced it is not. I stubbornly added NOID to the plant this spring.

Les