Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreaz6wv

Do these prices sound ok?

andreaz6wv
15 years ago

City Farmers Market starts Tuesday and it's my 1st year. Here is what I can tell you:

We live in an average city, not upscale by any means.

Local greenhouse has plants (average varieties) and they are about $1.40-$1.50 6/pack. Another place has them for about $1.75. Lowe's has 6 packs for $1.98.

I have heirlooms and was thinking .50 individual plants, 2.00 for 6 packs and 1.75 for 4 packs. These are for squash, tomatoes, cukes, melons and eggplants.

I went the farmers market last year, but it was their 1st year and they didn't start it until July, so not much to go on for plant prices.

They were going to have a meeting before, but didn't get the time, so I don't know what anyone else is charging and I don't want to be to low or high.

Any help would be great.

Andrea

Comments (3)

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

Here's what I do, when I get to the farmers market each day for the first few days. I set up my display (without price signs) and then I take a quick look at my neighbors prices. I want to stay on the higher side, so I either match their prices or alittle higher, depending upon IF the other vendors are newer to the market, less experienced, or how their plants compare with mine in regards to size, stockiness and so on.

Before I go in, I do what you have done and found out what the "big boxes" are selling for. I WILL NOT go as low as their prices, because NONE are grown locally for me. I do check out our 1 and only professional retail greenhouse, that grow their own, for their prices and go alittle higher than them.

This year, at my main market, my tomatoes will be in deep 4s (pots marked as 100s) for $3 each, pots marked as 200s will go for $5, 300s will be $7, 500s will be $10 and I will have a few "patio" planters that are deep5s will go for $15. These will be my starting prices. I have a reputation for growing good tomato plants, and my customers know that when I repot/uppot my plants, I plant them deep, to the bottom of the pot. None of my plants need to be immediately transplanted into the garden, so my customers can take their time in deciding exactly where to plant.

Hope this helps, but keep in mind that I have been growing and selling tomato plants for about 10 years now. I have not tried to sell cucumbers, melons, squash or eggplant. Only tomatoes and peppers. But I might tried some squash, starts easy and most people don't need a whole package of plants.

• andreaz6wv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the great reply. I have to say I LOVE tomatoes and like the idea of only doing those two things. I will also say that I have been selling from my home for about a month and have done well and better than I thought I would. I have sold mostly tomatoes and surprisingly more eggplants and cucumbers than melons and peppers.

I will do what you suggest. I am going to print a few price options, see where others are and then put mine out.

Thanks again,
    Andrea

I'll report my first day tomorrow. Weathe is going to be 72 and partly cloudy.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

My first day of season (that I will be attending will be this coming Saturday). When you post your prices, say what size of pot because I'm pricing my more for larger plants. I have to use more dirt, so I'm charging more. And that's what I'm telling my customers.

Sponsored