Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Spring Swap Planning

doucanoe
17 years ago

Time to get stated thinking about this. I will be hosting the spring swap at my home near Cambridge. Looking at the weekend of June 9/10 or June 16/17.

Putting out the feelers right now, anyone have conflicts with either of these? Prefer Saturday or Sunday, or either is okay?

Linda

Comments (19)

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

The 17th is Father's Day so that should probably be out anyway :)

My choice is for the 9th or 10th!

-marie

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

I would prefer Saturday the 9th then it gives the rest of the weekend to plant our new found plants. Father's day weekend is when we are planning to hold my father in-laws burial service in his home town (he passed in Oct and we had a memorial service in AZ at that time).

Go with what works for most or yourself and I will come if at all possible.

Sandy

• tammymn
    17 years ago

Just FYI Dotties big swap is Sat June 10th. Usually Dottie, Julie, Cheri and I usually go to that one.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Whatever you decide, good luck with it and have fun. Both weekends are out for me. I have my youngest son's graduation and party the first weekend. and my nephew's the following weekend. I promised to come the day before and help.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh crud! I didn't know Dotties was the 10th. I usually go to that one, too. And Father's Day the next weekend...Hmmm

Do we want to wait until the weekend of the 23rd?

Linda

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

I might be all wet, but I thought Dottie mentioned at the Winter Blues Seed Swap that her swap was Mothers' Day weekend.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anyone know for sure when Dottie's swap is?

Linda

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

I thought Dottie's was in May too...

-Marie

• Julie
    17 years ago

I called Dottie- and Dottie's swap date is always the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend- so this year it will be the 12th of May. Her Fall swap changes a bit due to the local fair so that both do not happen at the same time.
    I think the weekend before Father's Day may be better- but I will try to keep both week ends open.....

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Julie, for making the call. So....we'll stick with the original dates to choose from and go with the majority.

Linda

• twohuskies
    17 years ago

the 9/10th would probably be better for me..

• jel48
    17 years ago

Probably the 9th/10th would work out better for me too, as we're headed off on vacation within a week of the second week. That one wouldn't give me much time to plant before being gone.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, let's shoot for Saturday, June 9. I'll start another thread on the exchanges page.
    Linda

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Both weekends are a question mark for me. Of the two the 16/17 may be the best. In other words I don't know.

I do know that once the date is picked I will do my best to work it out to be there.

Pauline

• halley_rose
    17 years ago

Can you guys tell me about the spring swap? I know nothing about it. Would like to come, if I'm welcome. I'm a cheesehead.
    halley_rose

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

halley_rose,

The info has been posted over on the Exchanges page - you are more than welcome! It'll be quite a drive for you, but I'm sure it'd be worth it :)

-Marie

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, Halley...Come join the fun!

Linda

• Julie
    17 years ago

Hey there Halley-
    I posted this in another topic and thought I would reprint it here for you too- Hopefully this will give you an idea of what to expect-

"As far as the plants go for the plant swaps- what ever you have to share is brought. For those starting out- that might not be much- and for others like my self who tend to start too many seeds- it might be a boat load of seedlings- for those with mature gardens- it might be a bunch of divided perennials- basically, anything goes. You are usually expected to take home your plants that do not get selected. There have been those garden folks who have sent in plants to share through the mail- or with another who is planning to come even though they will not be attending themselves.

Folks who are planning to go are encouraged to complete personal pre-arranged trades before the actual swap begins. Pre arranged trades are usually set up through e-mails sent in advance of the swap, between folks planning to attend.

It is a swap first and foremost- so the expectation is that you bring something to exchange- but if all you have is a smile, and FOOD- well, I do not think any one has been turned away, but they may have not been allowed to participate in the first few rounds of swapping where the most choice selections are claimed immediately.

I have found, with most swaps- folks unload their labeled, individually potted/bagged goods in the yard in their own little area. As we wait for all to come- we walk around admiring and making mental notes of what we are interested in. As the swap starts, usually, everyone is given the opportunity to introduce themselves and to briefly announce what they brought. Most swaps proceed in "rounds". Usually, in rounds 1-3, folks are asked to select 1 plant. That way- every one has a better chance to get a "Goodie". And then they proceed with take 3 plants per round. Till the end where folks are asked to take what ever they want till it is gone- or you have to pick up your leftovers.
    Then we socialize (some more), eat (pot-luck)- and load up our treasures. It is a great experience! "

I do hope to meet you there!

Julie

• halley_rose
    17 years ago

I'll be there, with a wagon or maybe two and a helper.
    halley