Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicster_gw

Problem with Twombly's Red Sentinel

vicster
10 years ago

I have a Twombly's Red Sentinel that doesn't seem to be living up to its name: there what seem to be a few very new leaves and those are the only ones that are red (albeit a very bright red); the rest of the leaves are green and not so healthy looking.

This tree actually seemed on the verge of death a couple of years ago. Even though I had read that it tolerated full sun pretty well, it seemed to wilt under the same sun where we have a Seiryu thriving so we moved it from the south facing front of the house to the north facing backyard. Then the gardener chopped off the top of the main trunk (not sure what he was thinking and now he is not permitted to touch any of the japanesse maples). The overall height of the tree/shrub is probably about 3 feet tall and 1.5 feet wide. The bottom of what is left of the trunk looks healthy (it's probably close to 3" in diameter) and the mere fact that there are leaves on it is pretty amazing given what this tree has gone through.

Here are my questions:

- Any ideas why the leaves are not red?
- This tree is not very "sentinel" like right now; will it ever be and what do I do with it? I have the option to put it in a container now (I am looking for a maple for a 17x17 container anyway); should I just do that and see what happens to it?

Thanks. Vicky.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County