Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bron1

Help, what colour should I paint outside of my house please?

bron1
11 years ago
Hi everyone, I need your help please. We are just about to have new windows installed, they will be off white and we have replaced the front door, it's now modern wooden red cedar in colour. The upper weather board is a cream colour and roof tiles are dark green.
What colour should I paint the bricks? The green tiles are limiting my choices and I'm not sure what to go for? Any advice appreciated, thank you

Comments (18)

• Debbie Miller
    11 years ago
    I would probably go with the same color as the weather board, paint the railings to match the door and maybe add some new trim also the color of the door. OR, have you thought of painting the weather board? Hunter Green weather board, cream bricks....goes good with red cedar!
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Is there any way to get the old roof tiles to be the same bright green of the new? It is a shame they didn't do a better job of matching, but maybe with some cleaning and stain you can get the two sections to blend. I would paint the wood part a light grey.
  • bron1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes it's a shame about the extension roof tiles, I'm hoping they will blend with the weather...
    I'm really keen to get rid of the red brick and make the house blend into the landscape better. So maybe a green/grey colour work work on the red brick and keep the cream on the weatherboard, thanks everyone :)
  • mccutcheon1
    11 years ago
    There is a wonderful book called "House Colors" by Susan Hershman. 194 exteriors grouped by type of house. The paints and other materials are identified.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Perhaps a darker cream on the brick.

I would paint the all the roof tiles to match and paint the window trim the same color.
  • bron1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Back on the external paint colour quest again.. We have just had new off white UPVC windows installed. The architrave surrounding them is just primed and ready to paint so please ignore that some are pink and others are white.

The roof is green and we can't paint this or change the tiles.. The top of the weatherboard is Colorbond Surfmist and we would like to paint the red brick a colour? And change the green garage door and various dark green bits around deck.

Stuck on what colour to paint the brick and sidings? Any more thoughts now the windows are a different colour? Oh and we live in the bush in Australia so it needs to blend in...

Look forward to any ideas or thoughts.. If you could mention paint brands and names that would be most helpful.. Thank you
  • jjandhk
    11 years ago
    I would try to match the colour of the posts on the carport--it looks like a dark gray?
  • bron1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, forgot to mention I'm trying to get rid of some of that really dark green..
  • User
    11 years ago
    Why can't you paint this or change the tiles?

Even out the green on the roof.

The cream siding and brick look great.

Please don't paint the brick.
  • jjandhk
    11 years ago
    no, I agree--I' want to get rid of that dark green also! How about a dark charcoal gray?
  • bron1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Changing the whole roof tiles would cost $25k and we can't afford to do this besides nothing wrong with state of tiles, so just have to live with what we have got and build a scheme around them...

I'm liking the dark grey idea :-) thank you I think this would work..
  • User
    11 years ago
    I would never suggest changing the whole roof tiles.

Never!!!
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 years ago
    My suggestion would be to paint the top (wood/boards) a gray/green in the family of your roof..mid tone and paint the bricks a little lighter tone white/beige/grey. I would also paint all the railings black. I don't care for the lightest color tone next to the roof..each one makes the other "stand out". Without seeing your actual color, from the pictures I would suggest SW 0029 "Acanthus" and for the brick SW6119 "Antique White".
  • thislittlehouse
    11 years ago
    What about Roof Seal? They can spray the roof a different (consistent) colour - charcoal grey would be lovely.
    Then you could go a couple of shades lighter on the weatherboards and keep the brick as is- it wold contrast nicely with all the greys.

Or, paint the brick a similar dark grey to new roof colour and have slightly lighter weatherboards.

The new white windows would look really crisp and lovely against the grey.

My other recommendation as you're an Aussie (same as me) is to check out realestate.com.au you can search through their ideas section for similar Australian properties to see how others have tackled this issue.

:) Elise
  • User
    11 years ago
    The problem is your mismatched tile roof.

Until you correct that, nothing is going to give it curb appeal.

Pressure spray cleaning is completely acceptable and inexpensive and could solve the problem.
    [but I highly doubt it ]

If it does not restore the colour, simply seal it and repaint it to match the new addition.

It is a common procedure in Florida.

It is not costly.
    A 15 litre pail costs about A$150.Generally one 15 lt pail is enough for a 3 bedroom house roof

The colour can be customized to match the new addition
  • bron1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I agree the roof is ugly. And I dislike the amount if green. We purchased the house 13 months ago and the left side of the property is an extension, hence two different greens.. The other side of property 45 years old.
  • User
    11 years ago
    So change the colour!

Get busy!

It is such a beautiful house!!