Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandy_line

It's June and my garden looks like a desert!

Whats the deal. Nothing is in bloom yet and we're into June already. The only thing I have in bloom are a few Bleeding Hearts. I'm going to divide those this fall but I could use about 2 dozen more if I'm going to have early color.

What do the rest of you have blooming now that would help bring some color out?

Comments (20)

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Some of the plants blooming now in my gardens are: wild geranium, iris, dicentra 'Luxuriant', Lamiastrum galeobdolon 'Herman's Pride', aquilegia, arabis, blue flax, primula, Forget Me Nots, dianthus, peonies, polemonium 'Stairway to Heaven', Prairie Smoke Geum, a perennial salvia, anemone, pansies (planted last fall), violas (also planted last fall), grape hyacinths, allium, and a few late tulips. These are finished blooming: hellebore, pasque flower, and various bulbs, tulips, scilla, daffodils, fritillaria, wind anemone, winter aconite, star of Bethlehem, and crocus.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Yikes, mnwsgal, your gardens are way ahead of mine!

The only perennials I have blooming so far are:
    bleeding heart
    lamium
    pulmonria
    forget-me-not

In the wild:
    trillium
    jack in the pulpit
    rue anemone
    uvularia
    violets

There are buds on a number of things, buit nothing more that is bloomed yet. This weather has all those poor perennials confused!

Had to buy a lot more annuals this season just to have some flowers!

Linda

• primgal36
    15 years ago

I think some things are behind due to the weather, but I have lots that are ready to start blooming soon.
    Things that have bloomed, tulips, daffies, scillia, hyacinth, hellebore,and an early english daisy.
    Things that are blooming, or about to bloom, allium, lilac,peonies,bleeding heart, daylily, iris,lady's mantle, lambs ear, silver mound, viginia bluebell, globe thistle, bee balm, salvia, catmint, clematis, centaura, delphies, holly hocks, hydrangea, sweet williams, dianthus and lots more popping up.
    I also have been planting things that I w/s during the winter, so I'm excited to see what some of these will do.
    This has been an unusual weather pattern, so I think it has thrown things out of whack.
    I have several roses that are greening up, but also some that aren't showing any signs of life, I'm still waiting to see what will happen before I decide if they just didn't survive the winter.
    If that's the case, I'll probably replace some of those with the knock outs, which seem to be doing quite well.

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

Is it really June? Coulda fooled me....

I feel your pain...I don't have anything blooming that has not been mentioned aleady except lots of columbine, maybe I missed reading that one. The natives in the natural areas are doing much better than the rest. My roses are goin, but they are so SLOW, the weeds are growing like crazy though.

Helen.

• selkie_b
    15 years ago

*GRIN* My early "Athena" peony is blooming, tulips are pretty much done, as are the early "Thalia" daffs, columbine are exploding, false solomon's seal, woodland phlox, wild geranium, early iris, virgina bluebell (nearly done), jack-in-the-pulpets are nearly done, and best of all - my "Mary Queen of Scots" rose bush is in full glory! It smells amazing - perfumes the entire yard. Shame it only blooms for about 2 weeks...Earliest rose you can grow around here :)

-Marie

• carmellia
    15 years ago

IRIS are pretty reliable for this time of year. TULIPS are now finished. The MOUNTAIN BLUETTE is blooming better than it ever has. A bouquet will last 2 weeks. LILAC is still going strong. I have a tiny chartruse CORAL BELLS that is blooming for the first time. I moved it early this spring and it seems to be happy. The HYBRID TEA ROSE I got for $2 at Menards late last fall already has 2 buds on it.

My desert will be coming once all my perenials are spent. I got no annuals planted. I have the seeds, but it hasn't stopped raining for so long that I probably wont be able to plant them til the 4th of July.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

It sounds like my garden is full of bloom but we had golf ball sized hail last week so many of my plants have only one or two blossoms left. My early peonies which were full of buds just opening now have three blossoms left. Columbine (aquilegia) have one or two stalks standing. Some plants were protected by a large pine tree so geranium there is full of bloom others in other places were decimated. Hoped to see second year bluebells bloom but they have been smashed, a few iris stalks are still standing. Many perennials will recover but will have to wait until next year to see others and some new lilies bloom. Earlier that day had thought to ask my son to come take some photos, now not so much. So it goes...

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

For those of you who are getting rain, be glad!!! I seem to live in a pocket, for the last couple years the rain goes around me. My friend 30 miles from me, gets 1 1/2" I get 1/10". In fact so far this entire spring, I think the rain total in my yard is 7/10"

It's really playing havoc on my annuals, and my water bill!

Jenny P

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For those of you in the Metro area, you are 1 zone warmer than the rest of us out here in the woods. Most of my columbine is still budding. Nothing from Iris, Peonies, or daylillys yet. Amsonia(blue stars) are not quite there yet.

• sprout_wi
    15 years ago

I have a few Columbine blooming. Also have buds on Peony and Iris. Maybe they will bloom by fall, if the rains don't wash them away, first.

• stpaulite
    15 years ago

I live in the Metro (St. Paul), and very little is in bloom in my garden. My lilac is in bloom, along with bearded iris, creeping phlox, foamflower, wild geranium, woodland phlox, and snowdrop anemone. My Elsa Spath clematis has just started to open, and my salvia has little tiny flowers on it that are just opening up. None of my roses are in bloom, although they have plenty of flower heads on them, but they seem smaller than usual. So, lots of green, very few flowers at this point. I am grateful for the rain, though. I swear everything grew an inch or two overnight!

• dsfritz
    15 years ago

Hello from Wisconsin. No one has commented on Pulmonaria or Bruneria. Mine are the best ever. My comumbine is just thinking about blooming. peonies and poppies are looking promising;
    Question for all you gardeners. My irises are minimal this year. Any reason for that?

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

I am a little curious about other iris experiences as well. I have some clumps that are lovely, and some that stayed about 4 inches tall (are still trying to produce flowers). The short clumps are not more than 4 feet away from the successful ones. Boy the wind and the rain hammered them today. Not my best iris year.

Helen.

• stpaulite
    15 years ago

Hmmm...My irises aren't blooming like they normally do either. I dug them up and divided them last fall, kinda late, and thought maybe that had something to do with it. Although, in the past when I've done that they've still bloomed, albeit the blooms are smaller. This year, only a couple of them are blooming in each group. I also noticed some of them had rotted over the winter. Maybe iris borer is at work? A fungus? Too much nitrogen in the soil (lots of leaves but no flowers)?

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

I had the same rotting issue too...I'm gonna dig a few up today and check for borers cause I had thought about that one as well.

• twohuskies
    15 years ago

I've had to deal with borers the last couple of years. Last summer I kept a close eye out for ratty leaves and rotting rhizomes and quickly cleaned them up. This year all of mine are doing great (for now...). I really hate borers!

• vic01
    15 years ago

June 13th, iris are blooming finally. Tulips are done, a couple blooms on the clematis and peonies will be finally open by Sunday it appears. Everything is late, and being this far south is not helping, approximately 35 miles from Iowa border.

Jackie

• elleni
    15 years ago

We are in the Uptown area and this last rain seems to have woken everything up! Our roses, peony, irises and my new Menard's clematis are all blooming. The tulips finished last week and various columbine have mostly finished now. My third year eBay Multi-Blue Clematis really did leap this year! It is as tall as I am and has three pea-sized buds on it!!!! I am very excited to finally see this plant bloom.

• sprout_wi
    15 years ago

I am in Hudson, Wi - just across the river from the Twin Cities. My Irises just bloomed and I have some buds on my peonies. It is rather disheartening. I have over 300 plants that are just sitting there. I am afraid that fall will be here before anything blooms.

• rubybaby43
    15 years ago

Wow! I haven't been here for awhile. I'm sad to say that my gardens (and my car) look like they've been "wrung through the wringer" after the terrible hail storm over Memorial Day weekend. My front gardens got hit hardest and still look pretty sorry. I am surprised at how things bounce back though.

I planted a lot of new hostas in the wooded backyard last summer and many of those looked chewed up. But I left them alone until yesterday and I didn't have to trim too much off. They regenerated new leaves quickly. Our oaks are another story. We lost 70% of our leaves and so the hostas will be getting a little more sun this summer.

I wish I had come here sooner because I would have loved to taken part in the recent swap. I am in dire need of new plants now.

Kristy :)

Sponsored